Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cycle touring & bike lights
  • PrinceJohn

Planning a bit of a tour around wales in the next couple of weeks, I’m thinking I might need to take some lights just in case, however as I’m planing on keeping kit to a minimum I’m wondering if there are any lights out there that are powerful enough to ride by, but powered by AA batteries rather than a rechargeable as I don’t know when I’ll get the opportunity to re-charge them.

Edric64
    Free Member

You don’t need much light for touring speed I do most road riding on 180 lumens.So battery light should last a while .How about a climbers headtorch ? Compact cheap and runs on AA batteries

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve been down some pretty dark roads with some seriously underpowered lights. As above, with the kinds of speeds I do touring it seems to be ok! Having said that, I’ve got a dynamo now, obvs 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Reminds me a bit of the lights we used to have back in the 80s. They were the size, shape and weight of a halfbrick and had a beam that barely troubled the road surface but somehow we managed to get by! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

It’s amazing how perceptions of how much light you need have changed. 180lm is a more than I was riding on road with (at race training speed) only 15 years ago.

The cheap and easy (and minimalist) solution would be one of these http://www.lightinthebox.com/7w-260lm-adjustable-focus-zoom-cree-q5-led-flashlight_p1515790.html or something similar attached to your bars with foam and strong elastic bands.

I’ve not ridden with one of those, but bought one as a pressy and have seen the light output – would be very happy to ride on roads with one.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have used much less light at greater speed as well .Totally agree that we are all spoilt with the light available now at a reasonable cost

MoreCashThanDash

A lot of audaxers seem to use headtorches on their helmets. Bodged on Secured in a variety of ways. Also gives more flexibility for checking maps and directions I guess

robdob
    Free Member

Exposure dynamo hub and B&M iQ Lumotec front light with USB charger and B&M rear light (which is also a brake light!). Siwtches itself on when it gets dark, has a high beam option which is very good and it charges my phone too. The rear brake light actually works very well too!

Front light: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busch-mueller-lumotec-iq2-luxos-u-led-headlight-63073/wg_id-303
    Rear light: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busch-mueller-toplight-line-brake-plus-led-rear-light-50-mm-43933/wg_id-809
    Hub: http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.com/exposure-lights/accessories/dynamo-hub-disc-brake

PrinceJohn

So anything recommended in stock in the UK?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Even a cheap led tourch lashed to the bars will be fine. Don’t over think it.

Edric64
    Free Member

robdob ,I guessed the op was looking for the cheap option .Your set up is great but pricey!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Tiny little flat cell battery powered things are fine for emergencies. They double up as campsite lights too.

firestarter
    Free Member

Powering your own lights and charging devices by pedal power is awesome. Dynamo is great if you can get over the initial purchase price

shermer75
    Free Member

I would honestly just get something like this. If the touring bug really takes hold then, yeah, a dynamo is your answer further down the line.

Ps that extra head torch on the helmet idea doesn’t sound so bad either..

MussEd
    Free Member

We all know cheap Cree LEDs will do a job – myriad threads on here about them, but surprised no one mentioned the need to make your presence known to other road users. I know you’re not
    Talking about the traffic levels seen on urban commuter routes but even quiet unlit country roads see other vehicles – most won’t be expecting bikes at night. Get yourself illuminated!!!

aracer
    Free Member

One of what I linked to from a UK shop – you’ll have to do your own search, that’s just the first shop which came up rather than one I was recommending.

STATO
    Free Member

We all know cheap Cree LEDs will do a job – myriad threads on here about them, but surprised no one mentioned the need to make your presence known to other road users….

Get yourself illuminated!!!

A 1600Lumen cree light is NOT the right choice for ‘getting yourself seen’ on roads, it just blinds other road users. As has been said a 100Lumen head torch will suffice perfectly fine for seeing and for being seen.

ransos
    Free Member

I do a lot of night road riding and use a B&M ixon IQ premium. It has a proper dipped beam and is plenty bright enough, and runs on 4 x AA batteries. Can be-recharged in -situ. I get 5-6 hours on high beam. Toggle it down to low beam when riding under streetlights and it has plenty of juice for an all-night ride.

Saccades
    Free Member

Hope Vision1 – uses 4 AA batteries.

PrinceJohn

Would something like this do the job?

MussEd
    Free Member

We all know cheap Cree LEDs will do a job – myriad threads on here about them, but surprised no one mentioned the need to make your presence known to other road users….
    Get yourself illuminated!!!
    A 1600Lumen cree light is NOT the right choice for ‘getting yourself seen’ on roads, it just blinds other road users. As has been said a 100Lumen head torch will suffice perfectly fine for seeing and for being seen.

That’s what I meant?

kcal

tempted – as above – to go for an LED bolted to the bars — I’ve had that as emergency lighting before, allows you to use as torch later. It was a Photon but other LEDs are available.

I use a TwoFish LockBlock adapter – http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks incredible for the price. Just as long as the build quality is ok (they are cheap!) then they look fine to me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m thinking I might need to take some lights just in case,

I did exactly the same on a recent tour. I knew my joystick would do 10 hours on medium. and kept a track of how long it had been on.

I knew i would need it for about an hour; but unplanned events meant it got used on a second occasion. very handy.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

MagicShine with OpenLight 8800mAh battery keeps me going on full blast in commuting mode (15-18 mph) of back roads of South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire for about 14 hours.

True, Openlight batteries are expensive in comparison to standard MS but they do the job admirably.

Also keeping standard MS battery as a back-up. It holds 2.5-3h on full beam. Just enough to bring me back home from work 2 times.

Cheers!
    I.

irc

On the basis that items for touring should be dual function if possible the head torch is the best solution unless you plan extended night riding. For the odd time caught by darkness or going to and from between a camp and the shop/pub a 1W LED head torch is plenty. With a lower power setting doubles as around camp light.

m360
    Free Member

Nope, they are rubbish. Got a pair myself, sat in a box. The beam pattern is poor, the build quality is ok, but the beam pattern is no good for road use.

Seriously, wouldn’t bother when something like this is made for the job:

Smart Lunar front lights run on AA’s

stevious

Another vote here for a headtorch. Alpkit’s range are excellent value if they have them in stock.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cycle touring & bike lights’ is closed to new replies.