Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Cycle to work through Halfords – a cautionary tale
  • BoardinBob

You see this mentioned sometimes when people discuss C2W through Halfords but it’s worth emphasising in light of some real life experience…

I bought a 2009 Specialized FSR XC via C2W from Halfords who got the bike from Leisure Lakes. I needed a replacment seat stay so I contacted my local Spesh dealer, Dales Cycles in Glasgow. I simply asked for a replacement seat stay for an 09 FSR XC. Nothing more than that. They got one from Specialized “free of charge”.

Today I went into the shop to pick it up…

Sales Assistant: What’s your postcode?

Me: blah blah

SA: Hmm…no record of you on our system. Where did you buy the bike?

Me: C2W from Halfords via Leisure Lakes

SA: Ah. In that case it’s not free, it’s £97

He then informs me that Specialized are not honouring any warranty claims on bikes bought via Halfords and he phones Specialized UK in front of me to confirm. At that point I was more annoyed by the fact that I was told it would be free, then the about turn. I never mentioned anything in my initial enquiry about where I got the bike from or that I expected it as a warranty, I just assumed it was the famous Specialized customer service. I managed to negotiate 25% off the price but it’s still frustrating and I couldn’t face the hassle of going back to Halfords who would then have to go to Leisure Lakes who would then have to go to Specialized.

The guy said Specialized would normally strip the dealer supplying Halfords of their ability to supply their bikes, but as Leisure Lakes are so big, they’re getting away with it.

cookeaa

The guy said Specialized would normally strip the dealer supplying Halfords of their ability to supply their bikes, but as Leisure Lakes are so big, they’re getting away with it.

Or they were until you let the cat out of the bag… 🙂

Interesting that Specialized are so keen on controlling the routes of distribution for their products, and avoiding pretty much the biggest chain of outlets in the UK, it’s all about maintaining brand perception I suppose ie. “anything sold in/by Halfords is tat”

Surely you should be able to source the part under warranty from the shop you bought it from (Halfords), it’s up to them to track back and recover the loss (probably via Leisure Lakes anyway)…

I think it’s LL who are in the trickiest position, they are effectively acting as an un-authorised distributor of Specialized products (abusing a trade account?), you are an honest customer, you bought a bike in good faith from a retailer, who in turn sourced it from the only place they could, there’s no way that you should be out of pocket on a warranty item like that…

Call Halfords, then Specialized, then Trading standards in that order I reckon…

trail_rat
    Free Member

or halfords are selling a second hand bike to the end customer – which is specialized view.

halfords bought from LL as a customer as far as spesh are concerned !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Your contract is with halfords No one else. specialized have no contractual arrangement with you so are not obliged to do anything.

uplink
    Free Member

it’s all about maintaining brand perception

and controlling [fixing] prices

cookeaa

or halfords are selling a second hand bike to the end customer – which is specialized view.

halfords bought from LL as a customer as far as spesh are concerned !

OP bought a specialized from Halfords (at RRP?) where they got it from is not his problem, he bought a new bike from Halfords not Leisure Lakes or Specialized…

This Bullshit arrangement with Leisure Lakes is not his fault, nor should it be his concern…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So why do you need a replacement seat stay and would it normally be a warranty replacement for whatever happened to it?

As TJ says, your contract is with Halfords, so you should be going to them to get it sorted

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

any senario involving LL will only end in heart ache.

sssimon
    Free Member

your warranty is with halfords, up to them to honour it.

It’s not just specialized, marin and orange are tow other brands I know wo have done all they can to stop the halfords “we can supply any bike” claims by not backing up halfords related warranty claims, in effect by buying a bike from Halfords that they have bought from another shop you are buying a secondhand bike and the warranty is non transferable.

The brands are doing this to protect the smaller dealers who are not getting a slice of the cake when Halfords promise big cycle to work employers that they can supply any bike from any brand.

Houns

You should have called Halfords who would have discussed the issue with the supplier and come to a resolution for you.
    If you have taken ownership of the bike the bike is officially secondhand (your employer is the original owner – This is the same for all bike to work schemes not just Halfords) and technically not covered by warranty – However Halfords and the supplier would have done what they could to get the issue resolved

Saccades
    Free Member

Jeez – this old peanut.

Go to Halfords – you have your contract with them, they have to sort you out with a new seatstay and not Specalized.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m guessing that Halfords don’t want to know because it’s a couple of years old & Specialized don’t want to offer/honour their extended warranty if the bike was bought by the consumer outside of their dealer network

could get interesting

EDIT: – I guess Specialized are invoking this line in their warranty conditions

“This Limited Warranty is void if the bicycle was not purchased new from or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized dealer.”

Conan257
    Free Member

As with EVERYTHING you buy, your warranty is not with the manufacturer. Your warranty is with the place you purchased it from. Which in this case is Halfords.

It is their legal responsability to honour the warranty state regardless of the politics involved. You only need to contact the manufacturer once negotiations have failed with the place of purchase.

BoardinBob

Did I stutter? I would have went to Halfords had I been expecting a warranty claim, however the seat stay is only subject to a 1 year warranty so it was out of warranty anyway. I was more annoyed that I was told it was being supplied FOC with absolutely no mention of that hinging on a warranty, and I was surprised at the shop’s change of heart when they discovered I didn’t buy the bike from them, despite pointing out that I’d bought my previous two bikes from them 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

It is their legal responsability to honour the warranty state

It’s their legal responsibility to abide by the SOGA

neninja
    Free Member

Specialized and other companies doing this are likely to be operating with restrictive trade practises which in theory could result in mega bucks fines.

sssimon
    Free Member

Specialized and other companies doing this are likely to be operating with restrictive trade practises which in theory could result in mega bucks fines.

Specialized are chosing who they offer to sell their goods too, they have no obligation to supply bikes to Halfords, restrictive trade legislation has nothing to do with this practice as they aren’t controlling price only controlling their brand availability.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Guys do not confuse warrenty – which is discretionary and over and above your contractual rights under Sale Of Goods act.

Under SOGA your redress for faulty things are with the retailer – time limited to (usually) 6 years and easier to do within 6 months.

So yes 0 you should have gone to halfords to seek redress under SOGA

uplink
    Free Member

Didn’t Levi’s win a case against Tesco’s regarding non-authorised retailing of their product?

I think it was different though – in the sense that Tesco’s were buying outside of the UK

ziggy
    Free Member

That’s utter crap, of course a wholesaler can decide who they do and don’t supply. It’s hardly restictive, there are Specialized dealers everywhere.

and I was surprised at the shop’s change of heart when they discovered I didn’t buy the bike from them, despite pointing out that I’d bought my previous two bikes from them

Specialized will need to see a receipt to honour the warranty, to make sure that you are the original owner. Not really sure what your beef is here, as above take it up with Halfords.

scaredypants

I don’t see that it’s illegal for spesh not to supply Halfords, if that’s what you mean

Interesting Q after that – As said up there, how did halfords acquire the bike ? If they’re the original purchaser then presumably a non-transferable warranty wouldn’t, err, be transferable either to OPs employer or after the final payment to OP themself.

Would it be necessary/reasonable to expect Halfords to lie and present themselves as current owner in order to get spesh to go way beyond most other bike co’s in helping their customers.

Wonder what was/is said by CTW or halfords in relation to warranty on these sales – anyone know ? I don’t even know what spesh themselves write down, I just have this perception that they’d see me right (if I ever bought a spesh)

BoardinBob

Not really sure what your beef is here, as above take it up with Halfords.

Actually my beef is more with the shop than Specialized. My initial email to them was

Can you give me a price for supplying a seat stay for a 2009 Specialized FSR XC?

Their reply

I can do this for you, first of all, can you tell me the model (or colour) as you will obviously have a first choice. As the bike is discontinued, they me now be generic, but we’ll see ehat we can do.

My reply

It’s the 2009 FSR XC Comp in black. Frame size is large.

Their reply

Have one on the way, will be here Tues-Wed. Specialized have agreed to supply it FOC, I’ll email you when it arrives and arrange pick up/delivery

No mention of a warranty claim on my behalf
    No question about where it was bought from
    Told it was going to be free of charge

I do wonder if it would have been a different response if I’d bought the bike from a Specialized dealer rather than Halfords. Here’s a genuine question, what would happen if you bought a bike from a Specialized store in the south of England then moved to Glasgow and needed some warranty work done by the local dealer? Would you honestly be expected to return the bike to the original dealer? According to the warranty yes, but in reality that’s a daft expectation. So had I completely avoided mentioning Halfords and said I’d bought the bike from Leisure Lakes when I was down south, would I have walked out with it FOC?

ourmaninthenorth

😀 at the STW armchair lawyers….

retro83
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    Have one on the way, will be here Tues-Wed. Specialized have agreed to supply it FOC, I’ll email you when it arrives and arrange pick up/delivery

No mention of a warranty claim on my behalf
    No qustion about where it was bought from
    Told it was going to be free of charge

So where did the £97/£75 go then? Straight in the shops pocket (fair enough in principle but £97 seems a bit steep!)? Presuming the specialized truly sent them one FOC of course.

BoardinBob

So where did the £97/£75 go then? Straight in the shops pocket? Presuming the specialized sent truly them one FOC

Most likely unless they have to genuinely validate the original sale and warranty by demonstrating to Spesh that I bought the bike from Dales???

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Looks like a good ‘ole case of assumptions made by both sides then!

scaredypants

omitn, you big tease !

tell us

BoardinBob

Looks like a good ‘ole case of assumptions made by both sides then

When you have something in writing telling you it’s free, you tend to believe it…

toppers3933
    Free Member

sounds like the shop taking issue with where you brought it rather than specialized. the shop will only have told you it was free if spesh had told them it would be free to them (the shop). shop takes issue with you/your supplier, charges you full whack.

BoardinBob

sounds like the shop taking issue with where you brought it rather than specialized. the shop will only have told you it was free if spesh had told them it would be free to them (the shop). shop takes issue with you/your supplier, charges you full whack.

He did phone Specialized in front of me to confirm it should be chargeable, though to be fair he could have phoned the speaking clock for all I know.

toppers3933
    Free Member

still be surprised if spesh charged the shop anything. all rather poor customer service. should/could have been dealt with better imo. their reply should have been ‘if you have youre proof of purchase then its free, if not its £97’. at least you would have been able to discuss it without feeling like you’d been stitched up.

BoardinBob

It would also be interesting to know if the bike came from them through c2w and I brought it back for warranty work, would they honour it even though my employer would have been the original owner? Technically if you got a bike through c2w you don’t have a warranty.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i think that realistically they would honour the warranty. i know that my lbs would warranty it.

BoardinBob

Exactly. If Specialized are annnoyed at Leisure Lakes for providing bikes to Halfords, that’s one thing, but they shouldn’t shaft customers as a result

(technically I wasn’t shafted as the section was out of warranty, but that wasn’t the issue for the shop/ Specialized, it was the fact I bought it through Halfords)

giantalkali
    Free Member

Cycle to work through Halfords – a cautionary tale

and there was me thinking you’d just taken an ill-advised short cut…

sniff
    Free Member

I’m with you BB.

I took a Giant into Dales before (they are a Giant dealer as well). They were all happy to help out with a brake issue I had until they found out I never bought it from them. They then give me some high horse bull about oh you bought it online watch yourself – I never even wanted it fixed under warranty I just wanted to have them fix it and was happy to pay.

I’ve not been back when buying other bikes.

I wonder if they advise folk buying bikes from their website about any future warranty work. It certainly not mentioned in their terms and conditions.

Sanny
    Free Member

So you bought your bike from another shop then get upset when your LBS gives you a 25% discount on a part? Fair play to Dales for offering you a discount and getting you the part. Is it that unreasonable for an LBS to give a better deal to customers who bought their bikes from them? Reading this thread would actually encourage me to shop there more often, not less.

BoardinBob

So you bought your bike from another shop then get upset when your LBS gives you a 25% discount on a part? Fair play to Dales for offering you a discount and getting you the part. Is it that unreasonable for an LBS to give a better deal to customers who bought their bikes from them? Reading this thread would actually encourage me to shop there more often, not less.

Sigh.

That’s not my gripe.

My gripe is being told it was free, with no caveats around any requirements for it being free, then as soon as “halfords” was mentioned they did an about turn.

And as for

Is it that unreasonable for an LBS to give a better deal to customers who bought their bikes from them?

Will Dales only honour Specialized warranties for bikes that were sold by them? Oh and you missed the bit where I said I had bought my two previous bikes from Dales.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Cycle to work through Halfords – a cautionary tale”

Do they open the front and rear doors for you each time??

hahaha

Sorry, had to be done..

Sanny
    Free Member

To be fair to Dales, I suspect that if you had said at the start that you hadn’t bought the bike from them, they would have sought to charge you. It’s not unreasonable for them to have assumed (albeit wrongly) that you had bought the bike from them.

As for only honouring warranties for bikes bought from them, that’s not just cycle shops but retail in general. If you bought a camera online and it developed a fault, would you go back to the online supplier or your local branch of Jessops who you didn’t buy it from? There’s no difference. I fail to see how having bought something from a shop previously creates a moral imperative for them to process a warranty claim on a part for a bike that you bought elsewhere.

Sorry BB but I reckon Dales have played pretty fair with you on this. I’m fairly certain that if you had a problem with the bikes you did buy from them, they’d go the extra mile for you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work through Halfords – a cautionary tale’ is closed to new replies.