Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cycle to work scheme, what should i get?
  • Jamesy
    Free Member

Im going to spend the full grand and want a nice hardtail,any ideas?

AlasdairMc

Boardman Pro?

richc
    Free Member

Can't really beat the Boardman Pro for the 1K limit.

Bregante

Orange Crush (just add £80), or Marin Rocky Ridge (add £150)

Bregante

… or a Merlin Malt 4

… or a Rock Lobster 853 / TIG

… or ………..

richc
    Free Member

But they will all be heavier with cheaper components on them.

workhard
    Free Member

Did a lot of research on this one in the summer. Started looking for a steel hardtail but kept coming back to the Boardman HT Pro. No one else can touch the spec. for the money. So I got one in July. An astoundingly competent XC bike it makes me grin ear-to-ear for hours after getting off it. YMMV

Only weak spot is the tyres, and if your big like me you might wany to factor in a bigger front rotor. NB if you read reviews of 'em they may say it comes with a Ti railed saddle. They don't, Cro-Mo only.

the_lecht_rocks

tricross comp – if you're commuting of course……
    i did – it's brilliant.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

You'll only get the Boardman bikes via the Halfords scheme.
    My wife was interested in a Boardman bike but due to being in with 'Cyclescheme' she couldn't get one.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I'm going to spend an extra hundred quid and get myself a Genesis iO iD when my cyclescheme comes around again in December.

Keeping it under a grand, how about a Specialized Rockhopper? Decent spec and smashing frame for the money.

Bregante

I'm going to spend an extra hundred quid and get myself a Genesis iO iD when my cyclescheme comes around again in December

missed that one. That was on my list too and looks an excellent winter bike with the alfine hub

grumm
    Free Member
    AlasdairMc

I'm swaying towards a GT Aggressor Elite from Halfords as it comes with Maxle Revs and the spec is alright otherwise. Details are pretty sketch though, and the combination of lightweight frame plus 140mm forks may not be the best.

Anyone got any experience of this bike?

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

The Boardman Pro looks like unbeatable value. Amazing spec, fantastic reviews everywhere I've looked.

I suppose it really depends on what your going to be using it for? Actually cycling into work, or blasting the trails, or maybe for a road bike?

jackal
    Free Member

Bregante –

Yes and yes, 2 very good handling, confidence inspiring hard hitting bikes.
    2 friends have got rocky ridges, love em.
    Depends what kind of riding you want it for though…

😀

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

jackal – Member
    Bregante –
    Yes and yes, 2 very good handling, confidence inspiring hard hitting bikes.
    2 friends have got rocky ridges, love em.
    Depends what kind of riding you want it for though…

Have to say, these are the two I whittled the choice down to when considering the options, in addition to the Boardman Pro…

Northwind

That aggressor elite does look pretty brilliant… I'd want to ride it first mind. No u-turn on the 409 Rev though if I remember correctly, that's a bit of a loss if I'm right. Depends on your use of course.

Houns

Voodoo Wanga or Boardman HT Pro

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Gotta be a Boardman Pro.Only 24lb in weight.Nice bike.

Bregante

I've had the Rocky Ridge for about 3 weeks now and it soooo good. Yes it's not a 24lb XC bike but I didn't want one of them. It's 30lb. Not THAT heavy really. It can be ridden all day and it's fantastic on the down……… and it's all about the down!

0pt1cal
    Free Member

My scheme means I'm stuck with buying it through Halfrauds, it would be easy if they just gave me vouchers, but they don't….I was really struggling to buy a 'complete bike'that I liked for £1000, especially with all the recent price increases pushing the likes of a P7 or Blender over the £1000…..so I'm just buying a bike with the best spec stripping it and selling all the parts. I'll then build the hardtail I actually want instead! 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work scheme, what should i get?’ is closed to new replies.