Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cycle to work scheme fat bike vs hardtail
  • surfingobo
    Free Member

Hi all

I’m a long time lurker of the forum as I have been researching which mountain bike to buy. I’ve just finished uni and started working and moved back to Taunton, Somerset on the Blackdown Hills side.

A bit of background: I’ve been a roadie for a number of years now, but have recently cut down on my stable of bikes to make room for a mountain bike. I was totally convinced about a slack trail bike, of the whyte 901/bird zero style (slightly pushing the c2w but probably worth it) however having borrowed an older mountain bike to check out the trails around me, I found that even at this time of year they were completely sodden, and I can imagine that they’re going to get worse!

So that got me seriously thinking about fat bikes for the first time, possibly the on-one fatty trail with a dropper and bluto front fork. This looks like it should give me the ability to ride from my door step, but still allow me to go and explore the quantocks! (As of today however the fatty trail budget build has disappeared from their website which is odd!)

Am I missing something fundamental here or will a fat bike open up the opportunity to ride some fairly decent singletrack that is otherwise unrideable due to the mud? Will it still allow me to develop mountain biking skills and enjoy what is supposed to be some brilliant mountain biking on the Quantocks? Would a plus tyre bike be a better option and if so, what fits the c2w budget?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I purchase a bike that will quell my mtb craving for a couple of years! (Think I might be kidding myself on that front given my track record with road bikes!)

fd3chris
    Free Member

Fat bikes aren’t the best in mud. Unlike a slimmer tyre they don’t cut through the mud so well and end up sliding around on the surface. There might be a new aggressive tyre out there now but from my experience they work well on sand and drier trails but mud is a ball ache.

jeff1155

I went from a 2.1″ Rockhopper to a Calibre Dune on 4.0″ Jungle Jims, and I haven’t noticed mud being any worse, it’s not better but different – if the mud is over rim depth you will stop moving and fall off, and maybe the Rockhopper would’ve kept moving, slinky mud you will skate over the surface without any grip but stay upright because the tyres are so wide whereas on the Rockhopper you would get spat off as the grip comes and goes with a snap!

On every other loose surface the fattie is far superior, there’s just so much grip, you can climb up anything, and I don’t find them noticeably draggier unless I check the clock. My FF29 is faster, 20 minutes on a 3 hour ride, but not so much fun!

jam-bo

blackdowns -better on a road bike
    quantocks – better on a mtb

simple.

go halfway and get a 650B+

MadBillMcMad

Fat bikes aren’t the best in mud

bizarre – like all bikes it totally depends on the tyres & pressures.

Maxxis Mammoth or Jumbo Jim = skid city (but great in the summer dryness)
    Surly Nates = more sticky than a stick

Bucko

I don’t see many, or any really, fat bikes on the Quantocks. If I was in your position I’d be looking at an aggressive trail HT like the Bird or Whyte. But that’s just me.

I really didn’t enjoy my On One Fatty, it was fun for the novelty factor for a couple rides but it in the end it was just too much of a bimble about bike for me.

That’s probably no help at all but good luck

jam-bo

I don’t see many, or any really, fat bikes on the Quantocks.

maybe the lack of snow & beaches is something to do with it.

burko73

What about something in between like a sonder transmitter or genesis tarn?

MoreCashThanDash

What rules does your C2W scheme have and how closely is it monitored?

Usually few and never, I know.

Working for HMRC, I would struggle to go beyond the C2W maximum, and would struggle to do at least half the bikes mileage commuting on a Fat Bike.

Bastards 👿

surfingobo
    Free Member

That Sonder is really nice, definitely adding it to the possibles list! The genesis seems very expensive for a rigid forked, 2×10 bike. The mud here seems to be mostly of the thick clay stuff so I’m hoping that staying on top of it would be a good thing!!

canopy
    Free Member

I don’t see many, or any really, fat bikes on the Quantocks

I saw one once.. small group waiting near the gate to hurley beacon after the climb up from halsway post – spotted an exhausted looking fella on the fat bike coming up. to be fair, he’s wasn’t massively behind but i guess they aren’t much fun on the climbs!

5thElefant
    Free Member

they aren’t much fun on the climbs!

They’re as good as anything most of the time and better than anything when it gets rough or slippy.

jimdubleyou

I’ve been in a similar quandary on my next C2W.

Tempted by the Ramin 3 Plus
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ramin-3-plus-2016-mountain-bike-EV264163

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work scheme fat bike vs hardtail’ is closed to new replies.