Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cycle to work advice for t'missus
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MrsTJ has an on one she uses as a commuter. Its 1×9 but has s decent fork on it. She has an opportunity to get a bike under cycle to work.

She wants to have a proper MTB – the on one can be easily converted to this – change to 2×9 and put knobblies on it. Then she could buy a commuter. Or she could buy a decent MTB under cycle to work. She doesn't want to spend as much as £1000 on another bike.

so – would you convert the on one back into an real MTB and buy a commuter ( must be 26" wheel and light) or buy an MTB?

Any thoughts on what bike for either?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well it would be illegal to buy an mtb so I'd get her a commuter.

700c mind, something up to the job.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can also include equipment in the deal say a good helmet 😉

How far is the commute?

geoffj

Any thoughts on what bike for either?

I'd get some professional advice from my mates in the business.

Of course you could get a very nice hybrid commuter for a lot less than a half decent mtb.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Well it would be illegal to buy an mtb

No it wouldn't. As long as you can use the bike to ride to work, which you can on any MTB really, it should be fine!

I'd look at a nice 700c disc braked thing, like this;

£900, though, and you'd still need mudguards I imagine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Commute is only 3 miles – lots of bumpy cobbles. 26" wheel preferred so all the our bikes have the same size wheels and the wheels are strong Disc brakes a must as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

cynic-al – Member
    Well it would be illegal to buy an mtb

No it wouldn't. As long as you can use the bike to ride to work, which you can on any MTB really, it should be fine!

Fail! He's already said if he got the mtb it wouldn't be used for commuting.

al_f
    Free Member

You're in Edinburgh aren't you? Get up to Edinburgh Bike Co-op and have a look at their Courier range, I used one of the 26" wheel ones for about 6 years for commuting. Not the lightest beast in the world mind you. 😉

Edit – whoops, missed the bit about discs – that may rule them out, not sure if this year's ones have them. but do you really need discs for a 3 mile commute?

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

you can get any bike you want on the scheme they dont follow you round. and what if you had to go cross country to get to work? we do heaps of cyclescheme bikes and they can be whatever you want. id recommend the orange crush. im sure you could get a bit of a deal on one and get it for about a grand. thats if you can find one, they were sold out last time i looked. but we do have one 17inch left. but as i said you dont have to get a road/hybrid bike.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don't think I'd bother myself, for 3 miles!

tracknicko
    Free Member

i got a bmx… not your traditional commuter.

(although i do actually commute on it)

aP
    Free Member

For a commuter bike I'd get something that looks the least like a mtb as possible, probably 700c and with DP or V brakes. Actually something like the FahRad manufaktur T100 would be perfect.

cynic-al
    Free Member

but do you really need discs for a 3 mile commute?

I wouldn't go without on my 5 mile one. On a road bike. With drop bars!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh traffic is mad and so are the dogs. wouldn't want her to run them over 🙂 Hence the discs. Lots of bumpy cobbles hence fat tyres and preferably sus forks.

Really needs to be an MTB / Hybrid for the commute.

teh real question is get an MTb and continue to use the On one as a commuter or get a hybrid and use the on one offroad.

For C2W can you get a better MTB than an on one with RS tora fork, hope minis and xtr 1×9? Or get a lighter commuter with discs tahn the on one?

Ta for the thoughts chaps

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

propper steel forks absorb a supprising ammount of vibration, my tourer probably has a good 15mm of 'travel' over some of the rougher bits I commute on. With Conti GP4season 28mm tyres its like riding on a billiard table, even over cobbles.

For 3 miles I'd either get a proper tourer which makes commuting easy, ortlieb panniers, good lights, reflective clothing etc. Alternatively, throw practicality out the window and get the bike that makes 3 miles the most fun. I'd suggest a BMX cruiser 😀

druidh
    Free Member

She works for the cooncil.

That means it has to be from EBC.

Get a Courier or similar and some decent clothing etc.

miketually
    Free Member

1. Campaign for proper infrastructure.
    2. Buy a Dutch-style bike.

This may not help in the short term, however.

iainc

cannondale bad boy disc for the commute ? I got one on C2W – they are about £700, 26inch wheels, deore group, tektro discs, rigid but very nice fork – comes with slicks

oh, and they look lovely and 'stealth' 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

hisisnotaspoon – Member
    propper steel forks absorb a supprising ammount of vibration, my tourer probably has a good 15mm of 'travel' over some of the rougher bits I commute on. With Conti GP4season 28mm tyres its like riding on a billiard table, even over cobbles.

You've not ridden propper cobbles it seems.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Iainc – I was wandering about that. what are they like for weight?

Al – Im with you on that – part of the reason my commuter is an MTB with a 4" fork. Serious bumpy cobbles on fairly steep hills around the 'burg.

iainc

TJ – haven't weighed mine, but I would guestimate it's around 29-30 lbs. I haven't ridden it on cobbles, but have done on some quite bumpy tracks (I use it when i take the kids round Whitelee Windfarm) and the ride is pretty compliant.

I am really pleased with mine, whether it is in 'commute' mode with the schwalbe kojak slicks it came with, which are comfy and fast, or in 'family' mode with 1.95 all round tyres. the tektro brakes were a pleasant surprise – seem to be copy deore's and just as good.

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – remember that Mark has a Bad Boy….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As well as a grumpy old man? All sorts in that shop of his

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work advice for t'missus’ is closed to new replies.