Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cycle path etiquette?!
  • muddy247
    Free Member

Working 3 miles from home so thought I’d ride to work as it’s 90% cycle paths. The morning ride wasn’t so bad but the return journey was a nightmare. Every mother with pushchair and toddlers running about decided to tut and whinge as I went passed. I slowed down to be polite and yet they still take up the cycle path and footpath. There is a 5ft wide path and 5ft wide cyclepath side by side- the cycle path is green with a rumble strip down the middle.
    If I was racing along I would understand but how can people whinge when I’m tootling along a path meant for bikes? In other parts of the journey pedestrians use the cyclepath instead of the footpath next to the road- if I ride on the footpath PC Plod would have my balls so why should they get away with blocking cyclepaths ?!
    For future journeys im using an airhorn as a bell-
    Anyway rant over… For now

plumber
    Free Member

I use whatever part of the road/pavement I deem appropriate to make best progress whilst not dying myself or causing irritation to others

This route changes day to day, its called commuting

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

In the experience I have of cycle paths like this, You ride your bike on the side with a picture of people of walking and the mothers with children walk on the side with the bike.

tthew

Do you have an ordinary bell OP? I get virtually no animosity on my commute, and I’m pretty sure it has a lot to do with giving a ring with sufficient time for people to get dogs and kids to safety.

I don’t even ride that slow.

eskay

I avoid the Bristol-Batch cycle path for my commute during the school holidays. It is chaos, dogs, kids, squirrels!

If everyone showed a bit of common sense for other users (that includes cyclists) then it would be OK.

You get 4 or 5 people walking next to each other and never looking behind to see if anyone is approaching, dogs loose or on extended leads, groups of kids on bikes trying to run everyone off of the track. The ones that get me are the people walking towards you (who can see probably half a mile ahead) who seemingly never notice you coming!

Don’t get me started on the squirrels…!

Do you have an ordinary bell OP?

A lot of people wear headphones and do not hear a bell (in my experience).

arachnidlover
    Free Member

My favourite is always people walking the dog or pushing a pram wearing headphones. You can call, ring a bell (if you have one), freewheel (for people with noisy Hope style hubs) and they won’t hear you. Give them a wide berth as you pass and they still feel the need to jump 3 feet in the air and complain that you “sneaked up” on them…….. strange, I thought a cycle path was primarily for cyclists……..

gazc
    Free Member

remember they have every right to use those paths as much as you do. use a bell and ring it with plenty of warning when approaching – most of the time people either get a fright and/or react negatively when cyclists appear silently in my experience. you may or may not feel a dick with a bell on your bike but who cares really? note: does not work for walkers/inferior cyclists/joggers with earphones

belugabob
    Free Member

OP – you forgot to mention that the broken glass is always on the cycle half of the path.
    (Or haven’t you noticed that yet?)

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – a decent bell is just a very good idea. If they still get a fright due to headphones / deafness / distractedness, then at least you’ve tried. Slowing to 1mph and creeping past is every bit as scary as someone flying past IME.

t_i_m
    Free Member

airhorn </thread>

bokonon
    Free Member

I avoid commuting at School kick out time so I don’t have to plough through the hoardes of kids blocking the cycle path. The parked cars are bad enough without having to avoid erratically moving teenagers.

muddy247
    Free Member

I don’t have a bell to be fair but as mentioned above lots if people wear headphones. I usually find a loud cough and a noisey Freehub gets most peoples attention! I don’t commute every day but I could soon get annoyed if I did!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do you let them know you are coming past? On the odd occasion I commute on the bike, I always shout well in advance letting them know which side I am passing on.

I invariably get a good response and often a “thank you” and a smile.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i ring the bell , they dont move- obvlious to the surroundings with their headphones in 3 kids and dog spread across the cycle path.

the 9volt hornit soon makes them scatter.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I find with a speed up, a few toots on my horn and a look of determination soon gets them out of the way. Sometimes I even shout MOVE! Either that or I pretend they are skittles – especially with the college kids. If they can’t see me approaching towards them then they do not deserve to live or breed…

muddy247
    Free Member

A little harsh Mrs Poddy- but well said!

bigyinn
    Free Member

PP using his o/h’s account again?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

FFS, you shouldn’t need to have a bell or ring it every time you pass some who’s walking on a shared use route that’s split down the middle. People walking should have enough common sense to walk on the walking half and if they need to be on the cycling bit, look for cyclists. It’s not rocket science.

GrahamS

A bell definitely helps – try to get a nice polite ping-ping one.

If you ride the same path regularly then I find being very polite to people helps a lot. Say good morning & thankyou if/when they get out the way; say “No problem” if they apologise for not noticing you; slow right down, stop and pet their dog, smile at their kids, whatever.

I see the same folk all the time on my path and building up that goodwill means I get zero aggro from them and just the odd cheery hello.

fasthaggis

Or ..If you live with an idiot,sooner or later you will start acting like an ..

As for the OP.
    If you don’t like sharing a path ,use the road.

GrahamS

People walking should have enough common sense to walk on the walking half and if they need to be on the cycling bit

Just doesn’t compute with some people. Typically the same folk that tut about “cycling on the pavement” despite all the signs explaining it is shared use.

brooess
    Free Member

Looking where you’re going is out of fashion – for any form of perambulation IME, as is being vaguely aware of your surroundings.

The people having a go are IMO just frightened – they didn’t hear you coming and rather than say sorry or say nothing, they have a go at the thing which frightened them. Whereas being aware of their surroundings would probably be a less stressful long term strategy

muddy247
    Free Member

Why should I use the road when there is a purpose built cycle path aswell as a footpath?

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Or ..If you live with an idiot,sooner or later you will start acting like an .

That’s a bit harsh fathaggis fasthaggis, no it irritates me when there is a cycle path and cyclists don’t use it, it annoys me when people walk in the road next to a pavement and also when people choose to walk on the cycle path rather than the pedestrian side. As a driver it irritates me when someone is cycling (slowly) beside a cycle path. I guess I am just getting grumpy in my old age. Don’t get me started on “Baby/Princess/Twins/Grandchild on Board” signs.

tthew

OK, as I started the bell debate, I will concede that headphone wearers are largely immune to my politeness and will jump out of their skin in fright sometimes.

If they are listening at a volume that makes them oblivious to their surroundings, that’s their lookout, and I’m not arsed about being considerate to them.

JoeG
    Free Member

Paintball gun! 😈

dpfr

Doubt even that would have worked yesterday for the teenage girl with tatts, headphones and coffee who inexplicably veered right to left just as I was passing her on a canal towpath yesterday- I was so close to going in!

martib

One reason why I don’t like using cycle paths, especially shared ones. I used to live in Germany and the law was clear about who was in the right and who was in the wrong. Essentially pedestrian in cycle lane, the pedestrian is at fault and vise versa. Same with the road laws and if you were in the wrong, they would try and hit you, then sue the ass off you. Harsh yes but then people stuck to their part. Unlike the UK where people make up their rules of the path/cycle path/road. 🙄

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Pretty much summed my recent experience up, having never used them before.

Other thing is other cyclists, which appear to be a bit of a liability too.

wwaswas

I was so close to going in!

I always imagine myself having a ‘If I’m going in I’m going to take them with me’ approach to that sort of situation.

In reality I suspect they’d be on the bank, dry, filming me diving down to find my bike.

bencooper
    Free Member

I used to live in Germany and the law was clear about who was in the right and who was in the wrong.

Pedestrian psychology is different too. In Germany, if you approach a group and ring your bell, everyone calmly moves to the same side. In the UK, the group scatters – some go left, some go right, some grab hold of dog or child and stand still with a terrified expression.

ransos
    Free Member

strange, I thought a cycle path was primarily for cyclists……..

They’re shared paths for cyclists and walkers.

I rarely have trouble, and I use fairly busty shared paths every day. Peds can hear a bell from a long distance.

gwaelod
    Free Member

This is walk to work and walk to schools week and the weather is nice. Don’t worry next week they’ll all be back in their cars obeseing themselves and their kids to death.

bigyinn
    Free Member

MrsPoddy – Member
    Don’t get me started on “Baby/Princess/Twins/Grandchild on Board” signs.

Amen sister!

bencooper – Member
    some grab hold of dog or child and stand still with a terrified expression.

WHY do they do that? Are they unable to comprehend that there is a human being in control of the bike who doesnt want to fall off or hit something?

cubist
    Free Member

Paintball gun!

or a real one for students round the uni I cycle past on my commute. If they are representative of the upper percentiles of intelligence for our future society, have reached their early twenties and still can’t distinguish between a red stretch of tarmac and the black bit next to it we really should be worried…

oliverracing

sorted

wwaswas

Is that some sort of shewee?

cookeaa

“Cycle Paths” or Green painted bits of pavement are not adequate for cyclists use simply because they put us in the same space as Pedestrians and the potential speed differential and lack of awareness/predictability for both groups just makes collisions more likely…

Has there ever been a campaign to improve Pedestrian awareness of cyclists on pavements/Green painted “cycle lanes”? I don’t recall one…

It is only my opinion, but I think any wheeled vehicle (and a bicycle counts) operated by anyone over 13 years old should be on the Road, not the pavement…

Pavements should be primarily for foot traffic, and for younger children still learning to ride safely…

aracer
    Free Member

We actually need a Dutch system, with separate paths for cycling and walking – forcing people to use the road to cycle just results in people not cycling. I keep dreaming…

amedias
    Free Member

I use fairly busty shared paths every day

And where might these paths be? I may need to make a visit for, er, route planning purposes…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cycle path etiquette?!’ is closed to new replies.