Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cycle path alongside A9 at Drumochter
  • druidh
    Free Member

I know that sections of this use the old A9, but what about those purpose built bits – are they suitable for a narrow-tyred race bike?

geoffj

Some of the bits are definitely a bit rough – 28 mm probably ok 23 mm probably not IMHO.

druidh
    Free Member

Cheers Geoff – I was sort of assuming that, so nice to have it confirmed.

PS – I might be passing through your way….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I riode the bit from Dalwhinnie to Dalnaspeil lodge – that would have been fine I think but what Geoff says is probably right

geoffj

PS – I might be passing through your way….

Let me know when and I’ll put the kettle on!

Stu_N

Surface is typical sustrans path style for quite a lot of the bit from Dalnaspiddal to the Dalwhinnie turn-off. I’d be happy enough on 28mm touring tyres, but wouldn’t be so keen on 23mm road tyres.

geoffj

There is a section of the official path which goes along the front of the Dunkeld Hilton. We ride it with the kids on fat tyred bikes, but I would think twice about riding that section even on a tourer. Luckily there is a section of the old A9 which you can use as an alternative.

druidh
    Free Member

Cheers. The plan is to stick to the line of the old A9 wherever possible.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

have done this on my trek with 23s on. not much fun, but rideable – lacking a bit of grip on the very slight ups/downs and corners with the surface though 😮 pretty slow going, watched my average speed drop quickly!

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – is it used on the big sportive too?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cycle path alongside A9 at Drumochter’ is closed to new replies.