Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cycle insurance – too good to be true?
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

Just reviewed my household insurance wording after buying a new bike and was pleasantly surprised by the cover included, unless I’m reading it completely wrong!

Within contents cover I get:

– £10,000 single item cover (inc bikes)
    – up to £20,000 unspecified items cover (which includes the bikes)
    – cover if they are stolen world wide
    – cover if it’s nicked from the garage or car
    – no requirement to lock it up in the garage or car
    – new for old!
    – no requirement to list make/model etc
    – no exlcusions relating to pedal cycles (it’s only mentioned 6 times in the whole policy document and not in any exclusion terms)

All for <£100 a year.

How is this possible when cycle specific insurance would probably cost me in excess of £1200 to cover them all?

Any experiences?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Normal for contents but make sure you read the policy doc properly for any exclusions

br
    Free Member

Won’t be covered when out (unless you’re mugged etc)?

Otherwise, you must live on a small island north/west of Scotland for contents at £100 – or a £100k excess 🙂

poisonspider
    Free Member

I rang them to clarify and they make not distinction for pedal cycles.

If this is correct, why would anyone pay for cycle specific insurance? It just seems extortionate by comparison.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Don’t keep us in suspense.

Who is it with?

jimdubleyou

What is the company?

poisonspider
    Free Member

And they are covered away from home, including theft from a hotel room, as long as it’s locked (the room that is).

Not sure how you would ‘lose’ your bike without it being nicked though.

martinhutch

Name and anti-shame.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Hastings Direct.

Total contents cover is only £75,000, which includes the £20k possessions.

Near Doncaster so it’s not exactly Utopia!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

depends who its with, but i had something similar with direct line. they didn’t consider bikes to be specified valuables (ie watches, jewelry etc) therefore they just came under ‘contents’ with a £15K single article limit. got bike nicked in burglary from the house, received cheque for £5K 2 weeks later – brilliant

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

That explains it. Folk from Donny don’t steal bikes as they have trouble pedalling with their 6 toed webbed feet.

psycorp
    Free Member

I renewed my cover with Hastings in February and the policy was the same as far as bikes were concerned (which was the only bit I was really interested in).

bails

The problem I had with insurance was that lots of places had a separate limit for ‘outbuildings’. So I could pay a fortune to cover £?,000s of bikes, but when they’re in the garage at the top of the garden I’ve only got £500 of cover, regardless of the fact that I’ve specified them.

If I take them out of the double locked and bolted garage in the garden, where they’re secured with a ground anchor and massive chain and lock them to a lamppost on the street with a £10 cable lock then they’re insured again 😕

I’ll check out Hastings though, if they don’t have a silly outbuildings limit then I’ll bear them in mind for the next renewal.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Policy definition of ‘home’

The private residence shown in your policy schedule including
    its garages and outbuildings if they form part of the property.

Policy definition of ‘outbuilding’

Sheds, greenhouses, summer houses, other buildings (but
    not including caravans, mobile homes or motor homes and
    structures made of canvas, PVC or any other non-rigid
    material) which do not form part of the main building of the
    home and are used for domestic purposes

No exclusions mentioned for either garages or outbuildings anywhere in the policy.

poisonspider
    Free Member

dangerousbeans – Member
    That explains it. Folk from Donny don’t steal bikes as they have trouble pedalling with their 6 toed webbed feet.

Don’t kid yourself, the local bike shops sell web feet to SPD conversion shoes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cycle insurance – too good to be true?’ is closed to new replies.