Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cycle friendly NC 500 alternative route?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Am thinking of doing this route mid September. Just wanted to hear from anyone who might have done and to see whether there is a route which avoids some of the A roads and whether mid September is a good time to cycle North Scotland.

Thanks

scotroutes

Mid September can be really great. Typically drier than July and August and with great colours. Not as much daylight but that’s fine, assuming you are planning to stop for normal meal times. Roads are a bit quieter too, though we now see a bit more NC500 traffic before and after the school holidays.

On the west coast, take the Inverpolly road past Stac Polly rather than the main road to Loch Assynt.

Approaching JoG, you can take NCN1 which stays off the main coast road.

On the east coast you have more options. The A99 to Wick is OK. From there to around Dornoch the A9 gets a bit busier. Take NCN1 from the Tain area either heading inland to Alness and Dingwall or, if the Nigg ferry is running, across the Black Isle. Yoy could opt to head further inland on what are, in my opinion, nicer roads but then it’s not really the. NC500 anymore.

FWIW, we are trying to get an “official” cycle variation adopted, probably for next year.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Thanks scotroutes. I’ll factor that in when I create the gpx route I intend to follow.

FWIW, we are trying to get an “official” cycle variation adopted, probably for next year.

That sounds like a great idea. Maybe some gravel tracks / fire roads in the mix?

scotroutes

Just a couple of other points while I remember…

Do it clockwise.

I thought folk would find the first leg (to Strathcarron) a bit bland but reports are really positive. The train is an option of course.

Don’t be tempted to skip the east coast. I’ve picked up a few passengers from JoG who’ve done this (usually due to time constraints) and they always regret it once we’re driving down the coast.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@Scotroutes, when/where will official cycle variation be posted? And 23c compatible?

I’m likely to be doing NC500 in a supported charity ride next august, so guess we’ll know daily stopping points and start creating daily gpx files etc by June(ish)

scotroutes

@fifeandy – don’t know 😥 The NC500 site already has a cycling itinerary page but it was written by non-cyclists and makes passing mention of how busy the A9 is. I’d assume it to be much as I’ve outlined above. In fact, the “official” route may re-route through Nigg-Cromarty if the ferry service is guaranteed for next year.

An off-road/gravel variation would probably only work in the Caithness area so it’ll remain a road-bike route – but didn’t you know it’s all about 25 and up these days 😉

There are, of course, many variations away from the coast that would make more pleasant cycling but, as I’ve already mentioned, it’s not then the NC500.

I’m also trying to see if we (John O’Groats Bike Transport) can come up with a cost-effective way of getting bikes to/from Inverness for those that can’t get booked on Scotrail/Virgin East Coast.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Are you suggesting clockwise because of the prevailing wind direction?

Just editing a route now in GPSies and can see that there is very little choice down the east coast than the A9 and A99.

Hopefully, come September it will be a lot quieter. Just did a streetview and the scenery looks amazing.

scotroutes

I think it just “works” better when heading north up the west coast. Certainly the east coast is better heading south. It gives you the Bealach na Ba the “right” way round too.

Another wee detour you might consider is heading past Loch Buidhe (from The Mound) to Bonar Bridge, Ardgay and over the Struie to Alness, Evanton, Dingwall.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Ok. I had changed the route so I came back over Nigg and the Cromarty ferry.

Pickers

and the Cromarty ferry.

Just make sure it’s running before you get there, it’s a bit seasonal.

And definitely do the “wee mad road” past Stac Pollaidh and up to Lochinver.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Just thinking about logistics. Would make most sense and cheaper to catch a flight from Bristol to Inverness, but have the usual headache of

a) Where to store my bike box in Inverness for the 6 days?

OR

b) Where to source a cardboard box for the return flight?

I’d be happy to pay a few quid if I could store my box somewhere for the few days.

scotroutes

How much does it cost to get your bike on the plane?

And don’t ask what they call folk who live in Nigg 😉

Pickers

And don’t ask what they call folk who live in Nigg

Scottish?

Last 2 times I went up by train, £60 return last time from Stratford upon Avon.

ton

there is a courier company at inverness airport who will store you bike bag/box. used em twice, bought them a bottle of malt to share.

planning on doing this in the new year, once i get over my impending sugary.
    when is a good time to go Colin? was hoping for april time.

scotroutes

Difficult to say. We had snow throughout April this year but it can often be excellent. Snow on the hills always makes everything look more “extreme” too. May/June are typically the best months for being outdoors. Driest, days are longer, no midges. The NC500 was very busy in June this year, so much so that some communities are beginning to regret being on the route at all. There were tales of motorcyclists more or less closing off the Bealach na Ba and running hill climbs 🙂 I also got stories that it tailed off quite remarkably the last week in June (as family holidays start and accommodation prices go up). Also check for the Nigg-Cromarty ferry times. It didn’t run at all last year and it was a very late start this season.

flanagaj
    Free Member

there is a courier company at inverness airport who will store you bike bag/box. used em twice, bought them a bottle of malt to share.

Thanks. I can most likely find through google, but did you have a name?

fraochmor
    Free Member

Hi, I am writing a series cycling ‘blogs’ on the official NC500 website, two so far: June 2016 giving road safety advice about level crossings and single track roads and August 2016 about the cycle shops and repair options on the route with some tips about the Bealach na Ba. The next one will be detail a cyclist’s NC500 route avoiding lots of the A9, but with alternatives depending on weather, how fit a cyclist is feeling and what you want to see. I am hoping that this will be adopted as the ‘official cycling route with alternatives’ as cycling any of our quiet roads across the north Highlands can be a wonderful experience even if they don’t have the NC500 tag! To make it ‘official’, they will probably need to consult and make policy changes so it won’t happen tomorrow. Please share to let it be more widely known that this information is out there and readily available to anyone thinking about cycling the NC500 or anywhere in the North Highlands. Thanks.

kcal

I’d be keen to hear of cycle friendly options, given the emphasis on the marketing as some kind of Indy 500!!

dmorts

Great, a few mates and I are looking at doing the NC500 next year, can you point me towards any info?

Up the West Coast looks good, but we might cut it short at Wick to avoid the A9 south. Based on the NC500 Itinerary thats’s 7 days, which may work for us. We’re not going to be a group doing 100 mile days. Bit of riding in the morning and a bit in the afternoon will suit us fine

scotroutes

dmorts – Member
    Great, a few mates and I are looking at doing the NC500 next year, can you point me towards any info?

See my post above for likely re-routes.

It’s worth saying that with 7 days, and unless you want to visit John O’Groats, then a return south via Tongue, Alltnaharra, Lairg and Ardgay would make a good alternative. You would miss out on some really nice stuff on the northern section of the A9 and it wouldn’t really be the NC500 anymore but that’s all down to personal preference.

I’d also say it’s worth cycling down to at least Helmsdale if you are doing the East coast and don’t want too much of the A9 traffic.

fraochmor
    Free Member

Hi dmorts – suggest that you go to the NC500 website and look under the General Blog heading for the cycling blogs mentioned in my post above. I am in the process of writing the Sept blog about alternatives cycling routes so look out for that as well – it will be about as ‘official’ as you can get! Any feedback would be much appreciated – post it in the blog or on the official North Coast 500 Facebook page (the only one with the NC500 logo on it!) Many thanks

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cycle friendly NC 500 alternative route?’ is closed to new replies.