Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycle Computers
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Wanting to get one for the road bike, is there one that everyone uses that i should use or is it just personal preferance and what you can afford.

Because its just for the road bike and as a bit of a training guide i’m thinking i will need, current speed, average speed, trip distance, total distance, riding time. Do i need anything else?

will an altimeter be any use?

should i really be going for wireless or will wired be ok?

thanks for any pointers
    swoosh

druidh
    Free Member

Having used a Garmin Edge 305 for the past 18 months, I wouldn’t go back to a “normal” computer again. Aim for something that at least has heart rate and cadence.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Edge 705 collects far more useless information than I could ever want 🙂
    But it also records where I’ve been, so I can do the exact same ride again, if I want too.

ourmaninthenorth

Friends use Garmins (305s and 705s , mainly) and their informaiotn can be very useful, especially the aggregate height gain and gradient of climbs.

I, however, just use a Polar cycling computer/heart rate monitor, as it provides all the info I reasonably need when riding on the road bike.

A cheap wireless Cateye will do all that without the HRM bit for less than £30, I should think. Buy one of those and then decide if you really do need more data.

brakes
    Free Member

sounds like you don’t need anything fancy – just go for a decent wired one for £20-25

swoosh
    Free Member

i’ve already got a HRM which i use as and when i need to know my HR on training rides or runs but as for ‘normal’ rides where its all about time and hills rather than MHR or intervals or whatever i thought a computer would tell me all i need. I think the Garmins will be a bit extreme for my requirements. or do i really need the ability to record where i’ve been and so i can just plug the route in and take it from there?

Jase
    Free Member

I use a Cateye Strada wireless on the road, very neat and compact

kinda666
    Free Member

Cateye strada cadence here too! But the wired one! Wiggle had some at a good price a few months ago!

swoosh
    Free Member

does the cateye strada have a back light? it does look small, neat and have all the bits i require from a computer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Computers’ is closed to new replies.