Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • CX/Road bike with flat bars STI,s and disc brakes is it allowed!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Anyone gone down this route tempted to by the Sabbath September disc version frame and build it up to my spec would I be frowned upon if I did the odd cx ride sportive?

fasthaggis

Yes,and put bar ends on it 😉

aP
    Free Member

Nope. The only restrictions on CX bikes is if you’re racing a national level race, UCI regulated or the 3 Peaks. Anything else – ride what you want.

faustus

If you had flat bars, then why not ditch the STI’s, get mtb shifters and hydraulic brakes, surely?

D0NK

erm…don’t cx and road frames have shorter TTs than normal to allow for drop bar use? So may need to increase frame and/or stem length

postierich
    Free Member

faustus mtb shifters is what I had planned!

faustus

ahh OK, just took ‘STI’s’ literally…would have been weird otherwise!

fasthaggis

Donk

I don’t think it makes any difference about the stem length.
    On the hoods feels like the same position as bar ends on flat bars,or a set of these

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have two of them (flat bar, disc-braked roadies)

You do get some flak but it’s changing. You can run a slightly longer top tube but there’s not much in it. Both my bikes run 12cm stems so the equivalent drop-bar setup would be about a 10cm stem, which is pretty average these days.

Let me know if you need any setup advice – eg what mechs work with what, levers etc.

D0NK

Fasthaggis, true and I’m sure it’s workable but OP didn’t mention bar ends also don’t people spend like >70% time on the hoods (with full access to shifters and levers) on drop bar setup compared to a lot less than that on bar ends on a flat bar setup?
    (if you see what I mean – not explained it very well)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

if you get the right bar width and decent bar ends then you can spend plenty of time on them, and they are equivalent to the hoods position. Obviously for braking and changing gear you move back to the grips but for road riding that isn’t actually that much of the time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think DONK’s right, there’s at least 6cm difference in top tube between my road and MTB bikes. If you can live with being that upright then it’ll be fine as long as the mechs/shifters/chainrings match.

Why not start with a 26″ Ti MTB frame and fit CX wheels?

jonba
    Free Member

AS above, check the geometry as on the tops of my bars I am very upright and it wouldn’t be a great position to ride into the wind for a long time.

You do realise thata flatbar cx bike is a hybrid, if you can live with that then go for it 😉 . Ride the bike you think will suit you best, don’t follow a fad.

elma
    Free Member

I’ve just finished building this type of bike up and its been the best fun bike that i’ve built in a long time and bar ends are great.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oKiTDk]2014-09-02 10.54.20[/url] by icr3640, on Flickr

ton

I changed my lads charge plug from drops and sti’s to flat bars and mtb sti’s.

he hated it with drops, but now loves it with flats.

scotroutes

CX/Road bike with flat bars STI,s and disc brakes

You mean a hybrid?

DezB
    Free Member

I was looking for something like this for my mum’s boyfriend – there are a few on the market, so I think it’s acceptable…

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/hybrid-bikes/cannondale-quick-cx-4-grey-2014-hybrid-bike.html

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/hybrid-bikes/cube-cross-black-mens-2015-hybrid-bike.html

postierich
    Free Member

bar ends will be on the agenda!

cookeaa

CX/Road bike with flat bars STI,s and disc brakes

Essentially a rigid 29er with narrower tyres then???

I’d just get a 29er and some different tyres…

#cyclinghastoomanysubniches…

boxelder

Ergon grips with integrated bar ends – really comfy (seeing as you’re not fussed about noselookdowners)

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yup druid is right. You want a hybrid or a rigid 29er.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘CX/Road bike with flat bars STI,s and disc brakes is it allowed!’ is closed to new replies.