Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CXers can you help?
  • LoveMyBikeLady
    Free Member

Hiya,
    I’ve got a second hand CX Bike which has seen better days,the frame is nice (its a Spiuk) with carbon forks but it’s a bit battered, been raced quite alot.

I’m thinking of upgrading the whole groupset to Shimano 105 although its an older 105 gpset now was only put on last year unused I believe, but doesn’t run smoothly at all and I am told it needs replacing. Going to cost me about £400 without the calipers and getting the bike shop to fit it.

Just don’t want to throw money at it if it’s not worth it. Eventually I Was thinking of buying a new kinesis frame and transferring all the bits onto that. How long would I expect all this new stuff to last, particularly if I’m using it off road and maybe a bit of racing? This is the first time I’ve had a CX bike, mtb’s are more my thing!
    Cheers

clubber
    Free Member

IME it’ll last a bit longer than on an mtb if that gives you some idea.

As to replacing it all, that sounds like overkill though obviously without seeing it it’s hard to say for certain. Typically, the shifters will outlast the rest as will the front mech. What’s actually wrong with it?

Got any pics?

ourmaninthenorth

Unless the shifters are also knackered (doubt it), then you probably only need a new drivetrain (cassette, chain, chainrings, jockey wheels). You could prob do with new shifter cables. Give the front and rear mechs a service (i.e. clean and hose them in GT85). Way les than £400.

LoveMyBikeLady
    Free Member

Recently had new cables and keep it pretty clean. Will see if I can post some photos of it. Thanks

oldgit
    Free Member

I think Spiuk might just be a sticker?
    I’m still racing 2006 105 and its sweet as, can’t you get a proper person to look at it.

clubber
    Free Member

Spiuk is clothing – helmets, etc… pretty sure they don’t do frames.

LoveMyBikeLady
    Free Member

this link shows one the same as mine but a different colour,

http://www.squidoo.com/spiukforsale

The bike shop has offered me a chainset from another CX bike FSA and to knock £50 off the price. Think it comes from a Focus.

Also thinking about it although most of the original Shimano groupset (105) is about three years old some of it had been used before, not really sure what. The guy that put it together had a aladdins cave of bits so to speak. Also it was not put together that brilliantly so that won’t have helped.

Anyway still cheaper than buying a new CX bike as it runs like crap at the moment.
    Thanks

oldgit
    Free Member

That’s a weird one. That frame is from DPM who import Spiuk clothing, and it’s built with Kuips parts Kuips/Spiuk. Anyway it’s a shame you can’t get a good unbiased opinion.

LoveMyBikeLady
    Free Member

So I can tell your’re all impressed with my Spiuk (only kidding!). Interesting to know who made it oldgit, so it’s really a Dolan perhaps, made as a promotion I think.

Just really bought it as a sort of winter hack bike to prevent my race mtb getting knackered but have really enjoyed it and hopeful that this new kit will last and maybe I can use it on another frame eventually.

Very much cheaper if you are able to fit parts yourself and know what you need to buy but I can’t and don’t so just have to rely on my bike shop to do it, so far they’ve been pretty good though. To think I could be spendin’ it on interior furnishings…

dobo
    Free Member

I know nothing of that frame but have an excellent kenisis 5t with a multitude of mtb and road parts on it, which i bult myself.
    No way i’ spend £400 on a groupset for it, especially for a cx, you wont be needing the brake calipers for a start, can pickup some new canti for less than £20
    Lets assume new cables all round, dont cost much.
    Your crankset might be good, only requiring new rings, chain and cassette. almost any mech will work, even an mtb one with the older 105 stuff. even if you had to buy a cranskset, german websites sell them for peanuts these days.
    This lot could be had for half the cost or less than a groupset!

The STI are the greatest expense so you really should find someone to determine if they work well or if they need replacing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CXers can you help?’ is closed to new replies.