Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • CX/cross wheels ( & tyres)
  • organic355
    Free Member

So what would be a semi decent DISC wheelset for a cross bike? No more than say £300, also what tyres for cross and commuting (prob no such thing?)

Can I just look at any 29’e wheelset, or do I need to be careful with what tyres the rims will accept, what should I be looking for?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Check your rear dropout spacing first.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What Dibbs said. If the rear spacing is 135mm then you have lots to choose from.

I have these. http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPOOMAX/on_one_max_adaptable_maxle_wheelset_

cynic-al
    Free Member

Handbuilt, open pro on your choice of hub, or alpha

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

ztr alpha rims
    ACI spokes from cyclebasket
    those lightweight disc hubs on ebay (forgoten the name).

pixelmix
    Free Member

Running Hope Hoops 29ers here (Crest 29er rims) without issue. Come in at around £300 – The Bike Chain got a set for me very quickly when I was building up the cross bike.

As above, if your frame is 135mm (I would be surprised if it isn’t) then these will be fine. [Edit:- just checked your name – the spacing on the Pro6 will be fine]

I have Maxxis Raze tyres on at the moment run tubeless with a length of yellow tape. They are quite quick on tarmac as they aren’t too knobbly. Not amazing in muddy races though! I run them between 30 and 45psi depending on what I’m using the bike for.

organic355
    Free Member

its for a kinesis crosslight pro 6, what spacing does that have? yove got one pixelmix dont you?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yes – I edited my above comment. Spacing is indeed 135mm so MTB 29er wheels will be fine.

organic355
    Free Member

So I dont need to look at any specific rims to be compatible with “thinner” tyres?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Based on my experience with the Maxxis Raze, Crests will be fine with CX tyres. If you want to regularly run quite narrow road tyres then you might wish to look elsewhere.

Bregante

Chunky mtb, how are you finding that on one wheel set? I’m pondering a second set for my CdF so that I can swap to road tyres when required?
    Ta

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Probably only done a couple of hundred miles on them so far, but impressed all the same. Reasonable weight and plenty stiff. Hubs seems smooth and the rear does make a nice buzzing noise.

I think they are pretty solid for the money and seem well built.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Mavic X719 in 29″ which would be more than fine. I have never tried the touring rims like the Mavic A119, A319 or A 719 as they take tyres up 47mm width. Alternatively Rigida make some lower cost rims like the Sputnik that should work if you intend to get wheels built. I am no going to mention Stans rims as that has already been said. Spoke count will depnd on rider weight. 32/36 should be pretty bombproof with Sampin Race spokes. As for hubs Shimano MTB hubs should work well.

However why bother getting a set built when Campag make the excellent Khamsin CX wheels Sciroco and Vento CX wheels. All these are good and the Kamsin start at around £130 for the pair. Campag wheels I can supply as does practically everybody else and custom build wheels I also do but would be more expensive than a pair of Khamsins.

As for tyres I would look at Conti or Vittoria personally.

birdage

Have always found open pros on 105 hubs excellent for durability and weight. Incidentally have a hand-built pair on black 105 hubs for sale. Just rebuilt a month ago. £170 posted. Email for details if interested.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Open pro’s are 15mm internal width so max tyre width is 30mm which narrow for a CX tyre. Many are 35mm wide or wider. For that reason I would not use them for CX unless its a CX wheel that spends alot of the time on the road or you intend to run 28c tyres.

stevie750

Chunky mtb, how are you finding that on one wheel set? I’m pondering a second set for my CdF

Can you use six bolt hubs on a CdF fork. I thought the bolts would foul the fork and that is why the current hub is centelock.

Quite happy to be proved wrong as I am also looking for a spare set of wheels for my CdF and the on-ones look good.

clubber
    Free Member

open pros are absolutely fine with 35mm cx tyres.

Bregante

Stevie750, dunno tbh?

Edit: I don’t suppose you fancy buying them and letting me know how you get on?

druidh
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    open pros are absolutely fine with 35mm cx tyres.

+1

And remember – 33mm max for UCI events.

birdage

Used 35s on open pros for 3 years. Sorry what’s the problem? Also used over logs in stanmer park so strength not an issue. I think nearly all of the widest good cross tyres only go up to 35.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bm0p700f – Member
    Open pro’s are 15mm internal width so max tyre width is 30mm which narrow for a CX tyre.

Bike shop worker in “diminishing credibilty” shocker!

Running 2.1 and 2.3 tyres on my open pros here, and am still alive.

organic355
    Free Member

what about these?

bit out of my price range though.

Quite fancy red Hope disc hubs with black rims, suitable for cx and road skinny tyres.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/velocity-major-tom-cyclo-cross-wheelset/

billyboy
    Free Member

If you were going to use 28mm tyres then the smaller rims (17/18mm) will do it. They will possibly do up to 32mm tyres, but beyond that you will want the 24/25mm rims.

billyboy
    Free Member

probably

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Well take a look at Mavic own recomended tyre width for the open pro it is 19-28mm widths before you pass comment on my credability! I am sure you can run wider on a open pro and live but it not recomended thats all. I personally would use a wider rim for >28mm tyre.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘CX/cross wheels ( & tyres)’ is closed to new replies.