Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • CX wheels
  • organic355
    Free Member

whats does everyone think to this as a CX wheel build?

Velocity A23 rims – WHITE
    Hubs – Hope pro 2 evos – RED 32H
    Nipples – red aluminium
    Spokes – Black DT revolution.

Weight comes in at 1700g, which seems a lot heftier than my american classic 26″ wheels, but they are only 26″. is this not too bad a weight for a cx wheelset? Quite keen on the white rims and also being able to run higher pressures with road tyres so 29er mtb rims are probably out.

crikey
    Free Member

I think it’s a silly waste of money. CX wheels get a fair bit of hammer, so you don’t spend loads on them, or use alu nipples. It’s for riding, not showing off in the car park.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, STW 🙂

He’s quite possibly right though but what you’re talking about it a pretty solid setup so I wouldn’t worry too much. White rims though? 😯

sefton
    Free Member

each to there own 😉

I use some old fulcrum 7’s (and cringe when I can smell the grit cooking through the rims when braking) 😯

organic355
    Free Member

cringe when I can smell the grit cooking through the rims when braking

hence why I am going disc brakes

cp

normal black anodised rims will be lighter than painted white 🙂

alloy nipples have no place on wheels which may need tweaking (i.e. cx!) IMO .

clubber
    Free Member

cp I’d be inclined to agree BUT IME I’ve never actually found a set of wheels with alloy nips on which it was actually an issue. May just have been lucky but I have done a few…

pixelmix
    Free Member

Do the Hope Hoops 29er come with white Crests?

Prebuilt wheels are generally better value and my Hope Hoop 29er Crests are fine on the CX bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d avoid alu nipples, seen too many seized.

Open pros any lighter?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice buid, seems heavy though, Strada do a nice set here

qwerty
    Free Member

A pair of Mavic Aksiums weigh in at 1735gm and can be had for £140, how much is your build gonna cost?

Ahh discs = more £ more Gm and not needed if FRO.

cp

Interesting – every pair of wheels I’ve had alloy nips on have seized nipples within a year. Shimano RS10’s, Scott OEM supplied with bike – Scott branded hubs, Mavix XC717 rims, rev. spokes, and a pair of hand builts years ago.

I’d be inclined to go with Mavic Open Pro or for very light weight, Stans Alpha 340.

cp

or you could build with the A2Z hubs loved round these parts for mega lightness.

sefton
    Free Member

what would be the ideal wheel for cx (clinchers) with regards to spoke pattern / rim profile etc?

cp

The pair I’m about to build up are just bog standard 3-cross. 105 hubs, DB spokes, brass nips, open sport rims. £100.

rOcKeTdOg

I have open pros on XT hubs, s’what came on the bike though

barn
    Free Member

I’ve got that rim in black, built up 3 cross on a disc hub (brass nips) by JRA, very well built wheel – it has taken a hammering.

It’s cheaper and slightly wider than an Open Pro so sets up tubeless really well with a Stans strip.
    It will (like an Open Pro) hold 23mm road tyres for odd occasion this is needed.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Aksiums have taken a fair old beating on the Quantocks (and will again on the way home from work this evening) and they’re not that expensive to replace if I do mangle them. Not sure what I’d use if I wanted discs though.

rOcKeTdOg

I have open pros on XT hubs, s’what came on the bike though

aP
    Free Member

I use either Campag Electron or Ambrosio Memesis on Record hubs.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Another no to alu nips!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘CX wheels’ is closed to new replies.