Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CX vs Road bikes
  • wombat

Please excuse the (potentially) dafte questions but…

Apart from greater clearances what are the differences betewwn a road bike and a CX bike?

Are entry level CX bikes much heavier/more uncomfortable than similarly priced road bikes?

What are the chances of gettign a CX bike with rear rack mounts?

I’d like something that will be quicker on the road than my MTB but that’s robust enough to be able to take down bumpy, un tarmaced but drivable in a normal car, tracks and a CX bike seems to fit the bill.

Don’t have a massive budget (about £400) so I guess 2nd hand will be the way forward.

Any help much appreciated

toby1

Sounds like a pompino would suit then, I use it for exactly what you say you want it for and it is very comfortable to ride!

cp

Alot of the cheaper cx bikes have rack mounts, as they are designed to be very versatile. Generally a rod bike will weigh less at a given price point, but there won’t be a huge amount on it, and probably less in it at the lower end if things than mid range where you get lighter wheels on road bikes.

I use a cx bike as a cross bike in autumn, which then turns into a narrow tyred road bike for winter. Just a cheap Weigh frame and fork deal. For 199 frame and fork and headset, that cheap sora groupset in the classifieds and some rs500 wheels from Merlin, you could build one new yourself for reasonable money.

STATO
    Free Member

take down bumpy, un tarmaced but drivable in a normal car, tracks

Unless you buy a primadonna boutique italian one any road bike will manage that, they are not delicate little flowers, you just have to understand your on skinny tyres so take a little care over any really rough bits.

If your actually after a cross bike tho, plenty out there to fullfill your requirements. Tricross, Uncle-John, Dolan off ebay, etc. but i dont think there are any CX full bikes NEW for £400.

They will typically be a little heavier in the frame and fork and youll be putting heavier tyres on and then a rack, so wont be as light as a road only bike. Handling wise the BB will be higher and chainstays longer and often TT shorter, so they might not feel as lively (unless you get one thats so short its too small to ride for more than a few hours).

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Differences between road and cross bike (generally speaking will of course be exceptions):
    Road bike will have: a steeper head angle, shorter chain stays, a lower BB and if not looking at disc braked cross bike better brakes (and easier to set up!). All of the above make a road bike a more pleasant place to be on road.

But then a cross bike because of the above attributes will be better off road.

My advice would be if you really are just wanting ride on the road and be able to take the bike down unsurfaced roads, farm track e.c.t go with a road bike and some biggish road tyres (27/28c).
    But if your feel that you might also want to do some proper off road tracks go with the cross bike.
    I have owned both road and cross bikes on several occasions, I always prefer the road bike for exactly the sort of riding you describe. I would prefer to ride my MTB on proper off road trails (and mixing road a full on off road trails) and never really enjoyed the farm track, forestry track sections on cross bike, on the road bike they are just a lot more fun. I keep being tempted by cross bikes as in some ways they should be ideal for me, but always end up selling them pretty quick as they just don’t suit me or my type of riding.
    A good road bike, with well built wheels will be fine for the sort of riding you have described, I would look for something second hand. The pompino is not a bad suggestion although would imagine the kaffenback would be better, being able to fit gears.
    Hope that is of some help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Many road bikes won’t take wide enough tires to make riding rough tracks viable.

cp

I know plenty of tracks in the peaks you could take car up or down but a road bike tyre wouldn’t last 2 mins. 35mm tyres much more versatile, but wont fit in a road frame. Schwalbe cx comp are a fast cheap tough all rounder.

billyboy
    Free Member

My CX bike feels way more planted, possibly because of the more relaxed headangle.

Maybe I’m a bit of a timid rider but I feel much more confidant on it than on my road bike.

billyboy
    Free Member

The Trek FX range might have something for you…or any similar range by one of the major manufacturers….”unexciting commuter bikes” BUT they’ll manage light off road stuff ok, and they’ll be faster on road than an mtb.

mudsux
    Free Member

f your actually after a cross bike tho, plenty out there to fullfill your requirements. Tricross, Uncle-John, Dolan off ebay, etc. but i dont think there are any CX full bikes NEW for £400.

Edinburgh bicyce co-operative = £449

wombat

Thanks for all the replies

Mudsux, that looks like a good deal to me, thanks.

Not sure about sizing, I think a trip to Newcastle is in order to have a sit on one.

As I’m 6′ 2″ and have a 34″ inside leg would a 58cm frame be big enough?

cp

58 would probably, averagly, be about right for you. Worth a sit on one though as flexibility, feel and personal preference all contribute.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive got the revolution, its a bit heavyish but other than that ideal. I’m 6’3″ and the 58 is fine for me, in fact it feels a bit long, but thats probably cos im not used to that kind of thing.
    They have fairly regular 15% off weekends, which meant I got mine for around £360 but I think you’ve just missed one.
    Oh and its got full rack and guard mounts

wombat

Sweepy, CP, thanks, am not in a tearing rush so can hang on for a discount weekend 8)

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I would really have a look at second hand, whether you go for cx or road. You really will get a lot more for your cash and road bikes are usually in better condition than a similar aged MTB, unless it’s been used and abused as a winter hack bike.

I know ebay is a horrible place sometimes but worth a look, or on here and similar sites. You might be really luck and get something really pretty nice for £400 second hand where as in all honesty £400 (even plus a little bit) won’t get you very much at all, if it’s much lighter than you MTB you will being doing well. Plus there’s a chance that the low grade part will wear out faster than better parts that have had a couple of years use. I had a cheaper road bike ages ago and I would snap spokes just sprinting, to the point the wheels just had to be binned, as the hubs weren’t worth a re build.

I have had a good few second hand road bikes and haven’t had any complaints at all, one did snap but then it was pretty old (about 15 years) and it didn’t like doing a drop off! 🙂 My current one was a very lucky find £275 for a NOS mid range trek. Not my perfect bike but still! It’s shows it’s worth a look.

Oh and a 58ish bike should be fine, I am the same height (and leg length), have ridden 60cm frames, they are fine too. Unless it’s a compact I wouldn’t go smaller though.

wombat

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll keep a lookout on the Bay and see what I can uncover.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CX vs Road bikes’ is closed to new replies.