Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CX tyre choice
  • jiff
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been done to death (which it probably has….), but anyway:

I’ve just bought a used CX bike (end of season bargain) and intend to have a play on it this year with a view to taking part in the local race league towards the end of 2015. It needs new tyres and I’m not sure which ones to go for. Your recommendations please ?

I’ve always found Panaracer good for MTB and likewise Conti for the road. Is there an acknowledged good all-rounder for CX please ?

The bike currently has 32 width tyres, which don’t seem oversized.

Thanks

simondbarnes

I’ve got on well with both Specialized Terra Pro and Vittoria XG Pro TNT

seanbolton
    Free Member

Challenge Grifo are an excellent all-rounder. Specialized Terra Pro are decent too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Clement PDX
    Maxxis Raze (if you can find them)
    Vittoria Evo Xm

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks for those.
    Is 32 a fair width to be using ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you are racing it’s the largest allowed.
    If not 35-38 give a bit more cush.

kilo

I was a panaracer fan and used panaracer cindercross at first nice tyres but they seemed to puncture a lot, now on maxxis mud wrestlers, seem to work well, grip and shed mud. they work as tubeless too.

swanny853

Seconded for mud wrestlers. Seem to be a slightly chunkier version of the standardish angled cross tread, haven’t discovered anything they’re noticeably bad at yet, allowing for the weight over lightweight stuff. Go tubeless well, both exo and normal.

jiff
    Free Member

Hmmmm, the Maxxis seem interesting.
    K & Swanny – they ok for steering/grip on the front ?
    Also, what’s their puncture resistance like ?
    Thx

Rorschach
    Free Member

I did the 3 peaks on maxxis clinchers (At 60psi mind you) with no punctures.make of that what you will.

kilo

Firtsly i am a bit crap at cx but they seem to steer fine used them at a fairly wet cx race and they seemed to slide quite predictably, I don’t feel myself holding back beacuse I’m worried about the tyre.
    Me and the mrs both have them and we’ve had one puncture each both of which sealed up and we’ve been using the bikes a fair bit. I don’t think I’d go back to running tubes on a cx bike having moved to tubeless.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I think the UCI width limit is 33mm, not 32mm, and you’ll only find that coming into play in a UCI race, which your local league is highly unlikely to be 😉

If you want a tyre that will cope with the eventual muddy conditions, go with Challenge Limus (open tubulars)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CX tyre choice’ is closed to new replies.