Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • CX racing wheels and tyres – what do I need to know?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Latex tubes..

Really that good, or just a waste of caaaash.? I tried them once, thought them an extravagance.

ontor
    Free Member

Tubeless clements mxp for most conditions in the sw.

ferrals
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – Member

Munqe-Chick raced the UK nationals in 2015/16 with PDX clinchers, they technically failed the UCI caliper test on the start line but as she posed little threat to Wyman, Harris etc they let her race

Do they check everyones tyres at a national? how far out were the PDX’s? wonder if it was an unlucky tyre/rim combo?

I will be entering the Aberavenny one, running 33c labelled mxp or pdx clinchers depending on conditions (I’ve given up on the idea of tubs for this year, I jsut don’t ahve the money). I’m likely to be pulled out before the end anyway, but would be a shame to turn up and be told to go home!

LS
    Free Member

Yes they do, but only for the UCI categories. Both tyres are checked with the plastic templates that the comms carry and random checks are done on the pit bikes too.
    I’ve pulled a rider from the start line of a World Cup race, so it does happen! (They did have a mech on hand who swapped the wheel to a legal one, but it meant they started at the back of the grid…)

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll have to double check tyres widths on my rims then. So there’s not much point entering if tyres do come up over 33mm?

Shame as I really fancied racing on a more cx-technical course, typically I find the regional races are nowhere near as technical as the drills I do in practice.

Made up some hurdles last night at a UCI regualtion 40cm too for practise 😳

Should start up a 2017-18 cx racing thread soon with all this chat going on 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ferrals, do it, get a CX thread going. Apparently cross is coming!

Spent quite while going round in circles at a local park jumping off and on the bike last night. Managed mostly to avoid any gusset issues 🙂 Need to get some hurdles knocked up next.

Really that good, or just a waste of caaaash.?

Definitely worth it for road. For CX I’ve only done a couple of rides with them but I think the stock tyres aren’t really supple enough to feel the difference. And I pinch flatted, second ride at 15 quid a pop 🙁 Now set up tubeless on that wheelset.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

So there’s not much point entering if tyres do come up over 33mm?

apologies if not clear, this was The National Champs, not a round of the nationals, so full UCI commy.

ferrals
    Free Member

@mrblobby, get a set of cones off amazon too, can get 60 of the school sports type for about £15

prepare to get funny looks off people though!

@ctm, ah cool.

LS
    Free Member

apologies if not clear, this was The National Champs, not a round of the nationals, so full UCI commy

I think that you were lucky to get someone in a very good mood!
    UCI Trophy rounds have full UCI comms on duty with a foreign UCI comm as president, so if anything should be stricter than the national champs (where it’s all UK-based UCI comms leading)

ferrals
    Free Member

Ferrals, do it, get a CX thread going. Apparently cross is coming!

It’s Here

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think that you were lucky to get someone in a very good mood!

LS, agree, but I assume (and MC agrees, I’m not being patronising) that they were trying to be supportive and encouraging of a small female field and they would be been more strict with the bigger mens’ field.

To be fair it was such a muddy run slog fest MC spent most of the time wishing she’d been pulled on the line 😉

LS
    Free Member

I know, I spent all of the Saturday in the pits and then raced just after MC!
    It’s a tough one, a fine line between sticking to the rules and keeping the participation rates up. At an NC it’s even tougher but, contrary to belief, the vast majority of comms have a high level of common sense 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

who was after cheap tubs

£30 seems decent for spec. tracers

mrblobby
    Free Member

Calling crashtestmonkey 🙂

Spotted your Cannondale early on and came to say hi after the race but couldn’t find you. Be interested to know how you found conditions last night and what tyres would have worked well? Rode it with MXP clinchers at about 25 psi and fell off a lot! Tyre wasn’t shedding well.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘CX racing wheels and tyres – what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.