Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CX Help needed – Cotic X vs Croix de Fer
  • F-StopJunkie
    Free Member

After having a chat with Si at 18Bikes last night, and comparing the Genesis Croix de Fer with the Cotic X specs, I’m really struggling to split the difference between the two.

I’m comparing the X Weekday build with discs and steel fork to CdF so they’re pretty much identical.

I’m not going to be CX racing (done that, it hurts) but more commuting on and offroad, fitting slicks sometimes, longer rides, that sort of thing.

It almost feels like I’m deciding between orange and white as the only differentiator!

Any thoughts?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have you ridden either? Neither is meant to be light.

Or you could confuse yourself further with a Kaffenback (similar weight, maybe cheaper?)

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a Kaffenback and an X, and have also ridden the Croissant de Merde.
    The X is my favourite for offroad riding, the Kaff struggles with tyre clearance (although may have been fixed with newer models). There was a lot of toe overlap with the Croix, which was also heavier.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Not sure what size you are but this is currently on the classifieds:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-x-cyclocross-bike-56cm-12-months-old-600

Kevevs
    Free Member

am looking into a cyclocross bike for same sort of money and duties and Cannondale CAADX 105 looks great too. and it’s got rack mounts. http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m14b0s195p7693/CANNONDALE_CAADX_105_2011

karnali
    Free Member

have a cotic x for similar duties and its great, not raced it yet but will, not light but it does have discs guards and lights on it for winter.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I also have a Kaff (the dog turd colour one)and a X. My X has the carbon fork as that was default when I bought it. Kaff is limited regardinf tyre clearance but can’t speak for new ones.It also seems a bit cheap compared to the X. both were built up from frames. The only fault with the X is the lack of a seat tube bottle boss. I don’t go with the factory arguement that it would be in the way racing. If you wanted a race bike you would buy something lighter.
    I suspect the Kaff is better value. Can’t directly compare them as mine are set up differntly. If I was forced to chosse one it would be the X. If I was starting agin it would be a Singular if they made one small enough.
    If you get to the FoD you are welcome to have a closer look

thorpie
    Free Member

Both good bikes. I went for the CdF simply for the cleaner looks when using disc brakes, the X has all the cable stops and fittings for canti’s. Did Si mention the CdF he built for me recently? Everyone goes on about how heavy they are but if custom built with decent components then they are not that heavy really, certainly not for what you want one for. Both are never going to be as light as road bikes but then they are not road bikes as such. I love my CdF and would highly recommend it although what was said about toe overlap is true, especially with 38c tyres on, but you get round it, it’s not a major issue. Hope this helps,

Trevor.

thorpie
    Free Member

Oh and the CdF is Reynolds 725 tubing compared to no name cromoly on the X, should that make any difference?

Trevor.

Bregante

I have a croix de Fer as my commuter / tow path bikes when riding with the kids and I absolutely love it. It is heavy compared to a proper cx bike but it’s a really compliant, comfortable ride and I have happily done rides of 60 miles and over on it without issue, although much of that comfort is down to the “fit”. Mine’s a 58 and I’ve never had a proble with toe overlap.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CX Help needed – Cotic X vs Croix de Fer’ is closed to new replies.