Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • CX: Giant TCX SLR 2 or CAADX 105?
  • Kryton57

Same price £1049 both 105 11sp – I can get the dale with mavic One wheels vs the Giants slightly heavier own brand wheels, , but the Giant has better tyres (rons basically) and TRP discs rather than the Promax brakes on the Dale.

So, which one?

magowen100
    Free Member

Nothing to add but hoping for some good answers as I’m currently looking at both too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tough call, both v good frames, light and comfy (I’m a big Cannondale fan and often recommend them hands down)

Unless the promax brakes are slated (I’ve no idea) I’d get the dale, for the wheels.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you ridden them? Not tried the CAADX but the TCX felt wrong to me with the high BB. I’d go give them a try before deciding from a spec sheet 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Quick spins yeah. Test ride always good.

Kryton57

Ok. However I’ve just read some awful things about the Promax brakes, and seeing as I’ll need to add some road tyre son anyway the rons on the giant seem a better buy for CX later on. But the wheels.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you adding CX into the mix as well as TT? 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton likes to spread himself thinly 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you considered Focus? LBS has a Mares CX 1.0 (Out of budget I know) and it looks delicious. Cheaper ones should be good, too.

mooman
    Free Member

Has the Giant got a higher BB than the Dale? I always thought the TCX had one of the lowest BB of the cx bikes??

I personally would go for the lower BB.

Kryton57

you adding CX into the mix as well as TT?

Not really. I might have a go, but I want a more utilitarian bike to mess about with jnr, and as his races will be at CX events from September I may as well ride there with him on an appropriate bike.

I’ve checked the geo, and they are basically the same as my Defy so still good for winter road, just different gearing.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Got the old TCX 2 with the 10 speed 105.
    The wheels are a tad heavy and have changed them for racing.
    Recently swapped back to them and have ridden them with road tyres.
    They have been going well and have held up to most things chucked at them.
    Don’t discount it because of the wheels.
    Frame is lovely,internal routing,D-flex seatpost,great!

TiRed

I’d personally go for the one without the BB30 if I ever planned taking it off road and out in wet gritty conditions. I like both brands as you know, but think the BB30 press fit isn’t great – ours failed pretty quickly. If the BB is lower on the TCX, I’d take that. Geometry is a little steeper on the CAADX on a size for size basis, but half a degree isn’t huge. The TCX will steer more slowly than your Defy though if you go for a Medium.

Oh and I would imagine that those Rons will be wire bead for savings.

Kryton57

So….

I’ve never owned a Cannondale ever, and it feels like I should do once. But, internal routing on the Giant, the defuse seatpost and the TRPs which review very well. I can get both bikes – albeit the ‘dale without the wheel upgrade – from Pedalon and get tyres with the podium points so those are a non issue.

I with you on the BB30 Tired, my Bianchi had had 3. Will it steer slower than my Defy? It’s the same HA but shorter HT?

I think I’m swapping a Giant for a Giant….

Kryton57

Whoops. Mrs Kryton isn’t happy.

P20

I’ve had the Giant for over a year (mines the older 10spd) and it’s brilliant. Great handling, comfortable, great bike. One grumble though, the stupid seat clamp. Gets a bit of muck in it and creaks badly. Clean it out and start again. It’s the one thing that would put me off buying another one

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at cx bikes too, like the cannondale but as another suggestion I am highly taken by the ridley x-bow range (not that I’ve even ridden round a carpark on one just drooled over them) one is 899 the other about £1300

Edit: I know nothing about road or xc though so purely going on aesthetics 😆 I think the giant is rank!

cynic-al
    Free Member

A shorter ht makes it steer slower?

Internal cable routing is as plus?

TiRed

Looks a degree slacker – Your defy is 72.5 I believe and the TCX is 71.5 in a medium, so yes it will steer more slowly. You won’t notice off road. But with light wheels, decent road tyres and smooth tarmac, it will feel more like a tourer than your (classics winning geometry 😆 ) Defy.

Kryton57

I’m an M/L.

Why do I feel I’m being convinced away from N+1?

TiRed

M/L Defy yes, but probably a Medium SLR. I tested a Medium and thought it felt like a gate compared with my Medium Defy – and I’m borderline for a M/L defy as well (medium wit 120 mm stem). I think you’ll be disappointed by its road performance compared with your Defy, personally. But off road and on the bridleways, it will be just great.

Kryton57

Yea, you’re right. It’s become clear I shouldn’t sell the Defy. But with 2 MTB’s and a forest 4 miles away it rather negates what would be a bike of minimal use without the road element. I also realised also the gearing is too low for my turbo.

Sigh.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m surprised you guys say go for the lower BB, Higher BB in cross is an advantage.
    Ridden the current TCX and it’s a great bike, not ridden the Dale. The fact the Dale has a brake bridge when it’s a disc frame makes my OCD itch.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You do know I’ve got the TCX Adv1 don’t you 😆

It’s spectacular.

The alloy versions are just as good but clearly spec wise a little different, but hey. Yes the wheels are a little heavy, but bombproof. My set have lasted best part of a year without any tweaks or adjustments, and I ride mine hard.

I’ve got some rons upstairs that I’m never going to use, have them if you want em’

So, I’m always going to big up the TCX, it’s really a bloody lovely bike.

Go for a M, the L is quite big.

oldgit
    Free Member

The Blue one? niiiiiiice. I’ve been offered the 2 Pro, silver carbon disc one?

bikebouy
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ 😀

Yup carbon, light 18lbs (even with the wheels) Griffos etc. not much more to say other than its perfect.

I have used Limus in the mud which are ace too and Clem’s X’Plor MSO 40’s for long distance gravel/NCN type routes but in the main the Griffos are the go to choice build.
    I did suffer with SRAM’s brake replacement late last year but that’s all well behind me now, whilst I didn’t have the bike giant lent me a Propel which was fabulous.

Having bought this, my first giant, I will definitely buy another.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious choice of bar tape colour but that actually works 🙂

Do like Giants. Would definitely give the TCX another chance before buying (though really loved the Crux.) Just wish Giant would hurry up and get the new Trinity out there!

bikebouy
    Free Member

And in race mode (wobbly helmet fail)

kilo

Bikebuoy’s giant is lovely, the Mrs was looking at one of them but is getting something else.

re the OP I would go for the giant, the mavic wheels are no great shakes if you’re going to be using the bike seriously (and cx bikes are pretty addictive :D), iirc they’re not tubeless so go for the better braked bike

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Bikebouy, don’t worry, Kristoff has made lop sided helmets this years must have 😉

TiRed

Oooof! That is lovely bikebouy. Welcome to the fold. Giant make great bikes at every point in carbon and alloy. Just back from 80k club ride on my new Propel SL – it’s still white too. I have missed the road, but that cross bike is just beautiful. Great choice of bar tape too.

ferrals
    Free Member

Having said I don’t like the look of the giants, that blue and orange is mint!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve taken over this thread, sorry Kryton 😕

But I do have a bit more to say about it. I’ve done a good few long distance CX sportives on it, raced it in CX events and just generally hacked my local area on it too. All in all it favours singletrack and hard climbs on either slippy shale or mud dust/small pebbles. When it gets muddy it clears very well but on dry trails there is a defined zing about it. It really loves being off-road and it really is its preferred environment. It sort of zings and has a buzz about it.. It’s also great for long distance, done 6 hrs in the saddle today, up and over the SDW to QECP, couple of laps of red and back down to the coast and along NCN 2 home.
    I’ve looked hard at changing a few bits, stem, bars and wheels but can’t really find anything much lighter for the hassle of changing. I will get a new set of wheels for it and STANS have just released thier carbon vapour at £1600 which look light 1300gms and tubeless ( not that I’ll go tubeless) closest other wheels are the new Mav carbon kysiums but they don’t seem to be much lighter than the std set on now (1700gms)
    I think I’ll stop hacking k’s thread now 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

TiRed, good to hear you’re back on a Propel. What became of the hit and run perpetrator?

Kryton57

I’ve taken over this thread, sorry Kryton

Ha Ha, no worries you’re making better use of it than I can.

Kryton likes to spread himself thinly

This was ringing through my head at the weekend. I get 6-7 hours in a bike in a week max, and despite missing 11 weeks of training (long winter rides) this year my plan to use road/crits as training and MTB for racing has paid divedends, with me (when all my points finally get uploaded) sitting at 140 in the National rankings so far – who’d have thought.

Plus, I really enjoyed a road ride yesterday, and want to keep banging the long miles in and plan on doing so this winter.

mooman
    Free Member

That’s a stunning bike Bikebuoy. One I have been drooling over.

The high bottom bracket thing. Isn’t it just a remnant of the toe clip era?
    I would prefer a low BB to be able to dab a bit easier in corners and mount/dismount easier. The only advantage I read of a high BB is being able to pedal harder around tight corners – but tight bends slow you down so much the bike is pretty upright anyways.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

My CAADX 105 was delivered on Friday, and it’s really put a smile on my face. Fast on the road, and a hoot in the pine needle covered local woods. Handles beautifully.
    Regarding the brakes, they really need a good amount of bedding in to work effectively, but stop well when required.

boblo
    Free Member

That Giant looks fantastic. I have the CAADX. I’ve changed the brakes for Spyres and wheels for Kinesis Crosslight Cx’s so it’s perfect now 🙂 Not much wrong with the originals but I got them cheap.

The bike is ace though used mostly on road by me

wors

Just ordered a TCX SLR 2, cannae wait to thrash it.

How tall are you Bikebouy? I’m 6ft and gone with a M/L, my tcr is a M/L and fits perfect.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘CX: Giant TCX SLR 2 or CAADX 105?’ is closed to new replies.