Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • cx fork judder remedies, PLEASE!
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

After todays tourets inducing race around hog hill today I need
    to find a way to stop fork judder, Drives me mad! It’s a big frame, 58cm, so lots of front brake cable to stretch and cause the brakes to release and grab. Is there a widget I can use to reduce the cable stretch? Or are there any brakes that are better than froglegs?

qwerty
    Free Member

Fork mounted cable hanger.

h4muf
    Free Member

Froglegs are crap imho!

I’ve tektro 520’s on my carbon forked uncle John with no problems.

Large frame here too!

crazy-legs

Fork mounted cable hanger cured the brake judder on my S-Works CX as well. Big frame so loads of cable between the stem hanger and the brakes which acts like a kind of guitar string. Fork mounted hanger solves all this although they’re not easy to get hold of these days.

Fitting mini V-brakes works as well, that’ll cure both problems at once! It’s what Specialized resorted to after having loads of complaints about the judder on their Tricross bikes, they supplied mini-V’s under warranty and all the newer models had them as standard.

aP
    Free Member

How did you get on? Tourettes – porquoi?
    I trundled round as always but twisted my front mech so front changing was a bit tricky and L commissaired.. As we set off home the rain really came down.
    Try toeing the pads in, also make sure that there’s no play in the brakes themselves. I hated the Easton forks on my bmc so much (and the handling) that I bought an Argon18 frame which has a hugely stiff forks with absolutely no judder at all
    [edit] fork mounted hanger is the usual method of solving judder [edit]

crikey
    Free Member

As above, fork mounted cable hanger. Best brakes? I’m using Avid Shorty 6 brakes and they are superb, rolling stoppies, no judder or squeal and cartridge pads for easy changes.
    Not pricey either.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Angle of straddle cable?

Never had a drama myself, but do need to tweak a few things on my set up, no juddering, just need to sort out the front brake to make it a bit more, well,immediate..

Coleman
    Free Member

Fork mounted cable hanger! Not all forks are drilled for these.
    Set them up right and they work fine.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Do the fork mounted hangers rely there already being a mount on the forks, mine are Ridley Pythons so not sure about fitting anything to them?

aP, the fork judder was so bad I could hardly hold on at times hence the swearing (out of earshot of the commissaire of course), forgetting my mitts didn’t help! Got some nice blisters. Felt a bit of a twit though as I eventually realised using the drops helped rather than trying to hold onto the hoods.

Quite happy with the result though, 5th vet.

Coleman
    Free Member

Just need the fork bridge to be drilled. As teetos piccie above.
    No hole no hanger I’m afraid.

cqed
    Free Member

toe-in always works for me.

i raced for the first time on that course yesterday in the eastern league race. really enjoyed the course, but it did beat me up somewhat. i beat my nemesis, which is always good.

there were about 15 dnf’s on our race, mostly due to pinch flats going over a kerb.

ever since i read simon burney’s book, i always tend to descend on the drops if it’s technical/lumpy/steep. for me, the combination of lowering my centre of gravity, having greater pulling strength on the levers and reducing the risk of my hands being shaken off the tops really helps increase control and inspire confidence. so much so, that i have now ditched the bar top levers completely.

cqed
    Free Member

and there’s more….

i’ve run tektros, avid shorty 4’s, 6’s and now ultimates, and would swear by (not swear about) any of them.

i have heard many times that froglegs are very tricky to set up well.

teetosugars – have you ever run your ultimates on the wide stance? if so, how did you get on?

allthepies
    Free Member

The following article explains why it happens:-

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/cyclocross/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-return-to-cross_101807

Fitting a fork mounted hanger is one way of stopping it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

cqed – Member

teetosugars – have you ever run your ultimates on the wide stance? if so, how did you get on?

No, to be honest I’m just playing around with the set up..
    Apparently you can’t run them wide at the back- yer heels will catch them?

LS
    Free Member

I played around with the wide stance on my Ultimates for a bit, never managed to catch my size-12s on the rear ones. Running narrow now f+r so it’s not an issue.

OP – Fork-mounted hanger is the best solution but you might be fighting a losing battle with Pythons. They’re very light but at the cost of being a bit flexy. Try all the other ideas first. Higher straddle hanger, loads of toe-in etc.

fisha
    Free Member

Fork mounted cable hanger worked for me after trying all sorts of different calbe lengths, toe-ins etc.

clubber
    Free Member

Another alternative is a v-brake with a travel agent – no need for a cable hanger then.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Where can a chap get one of these fork mounted mounts? Noticed it on my new build too.

Is there a mount that will still let me easily run mud guards?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

paulrockliffe – Member
    Where can a chap get one of these fork mounted mounts? Noticed it on my new build too.

Here you go…

qwerty
    Free Member

form an orderly que……..

qwerty
    Free Member

DOH stupid me, they be for seatposts but with some giggery pokery that’s the kinda thing that’d do the trick as a spacer.

DomMason
    Free Member

We sell our RC09 fork hanger seperately £9.99. http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/forks/cross/rc09

Lots of toe-in, long straddle or mini-v’s also work well.

Houns

Disc brake

hth

DomMason
    Free Member
    paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Does that Kinesis one work with your Pure CX Forks?

Lifer
    Free Member

The prosix black/blue is gorgeous

DomMason
    Free Member

It’s not designed for the PureCX, but it will work. The PureCX doesn’t have the ‘key’ on the crown for it to fit to, so we don’t recommend it specifically for that fork.

DomMason
    Free Member

Thanks Lifer! 😀

Did you see the bike we are building? http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/the-pro6-almost-there/

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about trying one of these travel agent things as I have a spare set of v brakes in the parts bin. Do they work well then?

clubber
    Free Member

my Vs with travel agents work great and I’ve had no problems at all. the only thing I’d change them for is discs to avoid rim wear.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘cx fork judder remedies, PLEASE!’ is closed to new replies.