Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • CX disc wheels – options
  • spyke85
    Free Member

Looking for a lighter weight wheelset for the Croix de Fer. What are people running? Main job for bike is commuting, though also used for weekends.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

im running a pair of pro-lite aneto 29er wheels, 1800g, £160 new off fleabay. took a month to arrive but im very happy, came with all the adapters under the sun for if i decide to make a 29er, tubeless, and really tough for commuting over crappy uk roads. probably too heavy for racing etc though and i wouldnt ant to run anything narrower than the 32c that are on them now

jonba
    Free Member

Velocity tubeless A23 rims on hope hubs.

Just riding along have some good options
    Superstar are worth a look as well

mtbmatt
    Free Member

No Tubes Iron Cross on No tubes hubs. Really impressed.
    Simple tubeless fitting, nice and stiff and very light.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My cx bike has either specialized 29er wheels cheap and ok with slicks or stans race gold with cx tyres these are very light and fast just a little costly

mboy
    Free Member

Just about to build up some 28H Stans Iron Cross on Hope Pro 2 EVO 40T hubs. With butted spokes should come in around 1600g before tubeless tape. About a 1lb lighter than the wheels my Raleigh CX bike came with anyway!

Haze

Novatec hubs if you’re on a tighter budget?

somafunk

Check out Kinesis for their CX Disc wheelset, my Tripster ATR came with this wheel set, i’ve upgraded everything else bar the wheelset as i’d have to spend a stupid amount to get anything significantly better/lighter

velomanic
    Free Member

Wanted to do the same to my Croix de Fer so I had some built using H & Sons Archetype rims (32h) on Hope Pro 2 hubs with DT Super Comp spokes and TRP 160mm rotors.

You could go lighter using 28h hubs/rims with DT Revolution spokes but I wanted wheels that would still stand up to a battering with a 14st rider on pot-hole strewn roads!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Archetype rim on Hope Pro2 EVOs, Sapim Race spokes, brass nips, run tubeless with 3M crossweave tape. Tough and handsome.

gee
    Free Member

Hope Pro2 on Crests. I ride quite a lot of trails on it so not sure the Iron Cross would take that.

GB

boxelder

If happy with cx tyres >35mm, mavic open pro on pro 2 or novatec

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Iron Cross on Hope Evo, 32 DT Supercomp – 1610 with tape and valves.

I run Maxxis Raze which are prob good for commuting with their central ridge, but they were not supertight on there so maybe they would go on Crests as well, which can be too tight with some CX tyres.

Max pressure is only 40 or 45, or something like that.

1-shed
    Free Member

Where and how much for the h&sons rims?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

29er Crests are a pig with road tyres. Stick with offroad rubber on these.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just Riding Along have archetypes. Or have a word with Malcolm over on bikeradar (‘thecycleclinic’) as he builds with them.

AlexSimon

I took a gamble on Superstar and went with these:
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=827

I’ve had them a year now and I like them. I’ve been down proper rocky peaks trails with them without problem (although I don’t weigh much).
    Hubs seem fine.
    Didn’t fancy spending the extra on Crests when there were so many reports of tyres not fitting.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I went for a set of Hope Pro 2 Evo with Stans Iron Cross rims and Sapim spokes from Moonglu.

So far they’ve been absolutely faultless, still running nice and true despite me crashing and banging over things like I’m still riding the MTB 😀

They came with the Stans tubeless tape fitted and the new 40t engagement hubs.

http://www.moonglu.com/shop/hope-pro-2-evo-stans-iron-cross/

velomanic
    Free Member

Where and how much for the h&sons rims?

I got mine from Just Riding Along for £55 each but I’ve since found them available from Hub Jub for £50 each.

1-shed
    Free Member

Thanks for the information re rims, now on my wish list.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘CX disc wheels – options’ is closed to new replies.