Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • cx bikes and mudguards ? right or wrong ?
  • iainc

given all the interest in cx bikes lately, I was wondering who runs mudguards on them and what ones ? I have some RaceBlades on my Jake when in road mode, but when I have bigger tyres on I haven’t found a solution to keep the crap off….

MTFU I guess ? 🙂

simondbarnes

I chucked some on mine along with some ice tyres for snowy/icy commuting…

Snowbike by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Bluemels (sks) 45mm. Offroad, i’d never, ever consider using mudguards.

Spin
    Free Member

There are some clip on 700c / 29er guards available but most are a bit crap. I can’t understand the resistance to using mudguards from some folks, in what way is a wet and muddy arse a good thing?

Is there a 29er crudcatcher yet?

antigee

a “drop bar hybrid” / “adventure CX” with think they are raceblade commuters 45mm wide though i only run 32mm tyres – some toe overlap at front but actually having bolts eyes means no faff with velcro
    – a yes vote here to winter pleasure/non storm trooper mode

cynic-al
    Free Member

Full length muguards might work ok on a cx bike, but I’d prob put cruds on mine.

But of course it’s way cooler to return to the trail centre car park covered in mud 🙄

gonetothehills
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastic full length guards on my Tripster. I’ve had Kenda Small Block 8s under them without any issues but most of the time run Schwalbe Marathon 28c. I’m actually looking at adding some kind of CTC stylee / ghetto extension to the front one as my shins still get soaked in the really muddy stuff. (middle aged alert…)

From this morning’s little on/off road trundle:

iainc

some good ideas coming, thanks

globalti
    Free Member

My “cross-purpose” bike with mudguards for use as a winter trainer:

mattsccm
    Free Member

50mm SKS on my Cotic X. Used for “roughstuff” riding rather then dep mudplugging at the moment. Works fine

thorpie
    Free Member

No chance of mudguards on my Croix de fer as I am running 38mm tyres, just use a crud guard on the back, looks rubbish but keeps my bum dry!

Spin
    Free Member

Is a crudcatcher big enough to stop all the splashes from 700c wheels? I seem to remember getting a wet arse when I tried but it might have been a cheapy ‘crud copy’ I had.

thomthumb
    Free Member

zefal do the “swan” & “croozer II” guards which are clip on crud style guards – normally available cheap from decathlon.

HTH.

clubber
    Free Member

crud guard on the back when I ride long events like HONC but none otherwise as I find the skinnier tyres throw up much less mud than a mtb.

organic355
    Free Member

can those who are using crudcatchers on their CX bikes post pics please? i know they wont look great, just want to see how bad they look to see if it really is an option?

chriswilk
    Free Member

zoom cruzer crud type on the front and pannier rack with a little 3 inch bit of a mudguard on the back of that.
    The cruzer is really narrow, only about 30mm at the top and about 60mm at the bottom. It cuts out >90% of the crap, and doesn’t look too bad.
    Sorry – no pic at the moment.

clubber
    Free Member

Despite always using them on my mtbs when needed, I don’t use them on my CX as I never seem to get as muddy when riding it even in cataclysmic conditions. Maybe down to the narrower tyres and lower (offroad) speeds?

When I’ve done HONC on my CX in bad conditions, I’ve just fitted crud catcher/guards from my mtb – more for the road sections as it goes.

qwerty
    Free Member

I have used a SKS qr strap on (giggles) type mud guard on the rear for wet commutes and winter mud, I took a Stanley to it to trim it down a bit as I think it was a 26″er to begin with.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘cx bikes and mudguards ? right or wrong ?’ is closed to new replies.