Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • CX bike replacement brake musings
  • spooky_b329

So I headed over to grit.cx for this, but it looks pretty quiet over there and couldn’t work out how to search the forums!

I have an CX bike that suffered from chronic fork shudder and ended up buying Shimano CX50 brakes which were much better, however the pads have worn fairly quickly.

Didn’t do my research at the time…the pad design is unique, leaving me with two replacement options, CX50 pads at £12 (not overly impressed with the wear resistance/power) or the CX70 pads that take replaceable inserts at £22 each (eek!)

No problem I think, I’ll get Mini V’s, Tekro do a pair for £20. Having done a bit of research, not sure they are the answer as I know my wheels aren’t perfectly true. (its a bit of a hack bike/commuter) I’ve read that there is a fine line between the pads rubbing, and increasing the clearance but having no power. i.e. the pads have to run closer to the rim than the CX brakes I have now.

So, suggestions please…any brake options I should consider? (and yes, I have considered a new bike with discs!)

JoB
    Free Member

i’d just buy the CX70 pads as the easiest option, then replace the pads for a tenner each wheel when they get worn

spooky_b329

Yeh I think thats the sensible choice, just stalling at the best part of £60 (including a spare set of inserts!)

I’ve been ignoring it since getting moaned at for doing Brighton to Paris and back with no spare pads, the pads have been pretty much non-existent since the day we left Paris.

My riding buddies would shake their heads if they realised I was still on the same pads 🙂

TiRed

I. Went with the silver TRP mini V’s. These replaced beautiful carbon revox cantus but the shudder was awful and the forks could not take a crown mount. Seem ok so far but clearance will always be tighter. My other CX frame has a fork mounted cable stop, Avid cantis and stops beautifully. Very fork specific.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘CX bike replacement brake musings’ is closed to new replies.