• This topic has 83 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • CX bike lovelyness.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

This, I think, is quite beautiful, and I'm not usually a fan of disc brakes on drop bar bikes.

More here.

What's the rules regarding CX bikes and disc brakes?

ken_shields
    Free Member

Here you go

The International Cycling Union (UCI) has approved disc brakes for competition in the 2010-’11 cyclo-cross race season.

[ur]http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-allows-disc-brakes-for-cyclo-cross[/url]

Here's a pic of mine

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That is a nice CX bike!

Think it'll take a season or two before we see the pro's on disk brakes due to the weight difference.

bigsi
    Free Member

My new/1st CX bike arrives middle of next week. Its the first drop bar bike i will have owned since the early 90's.

Can't wait 😀

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The dropout for the rear disk brake does not look very burly! Looks nice overall though.

vinnyeh

graphics look a bit too reminiscent of Charge Bikes for my comfort.

Marge
    Free Member

So what brakes are being used for CX disk combination?

drop bar shifters are of course cable brake…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Marge – Member

That's what I mean, there are no valid options for pro racers as yet. The big manufacturers will need to develop light weight units and compatible brake leaver/shifters. As I can't see them using cable disk brakes with DiaCompa leavers.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Oooh here's mine on that theme:

matthew_h
    Free Member

SkillWill, what size is your Croix de Fer?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

There's talk that the UCI's reversal on the disc brake ban was driven by Shimano and that they have something ready to use in this upcoming cross season. could just be rumour of course but usually when the UCI changes tack on technical stuff like this it's because someone's petitioned them to do it…

cp

wish my tricross had disc mounts 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

While I'd definitely have discs by preference, on a CX bike I just don't think that the benefits are there for most people to make them have a clear advantage over cantis/Vs in the way they do on mtbs.

drofluf
    Free Member

Marge – Member

drop bar shifters are of course cable brake…

I use Avid BB7's with STI's. There's also the BB5 but that's not as adjustable. I think that Shimano also do a cable disc that's compatible with road brakes.

mandog

Should certainly make it easier for fitting mud guards.

AlexSimon

It will be interesting to see how fast this moves.
    Manufacturers will be racing to get something out there, because it's a real opportunity.
    I think there will be a large demand from amateur riders and gear freaks.

That Fixie Inc bike is pretty. about £2000 for that build though.

SkillWill
    Free Member

SkillWill, what size is your Croix de Fer?

It's a 58cm.

Love it!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Liking that On-One up there. Is that a normal 26" Inbred frame with 700cc wheels and drops on? V cool!

wonnyj
    Free Member

Clubber, I'm sure people said just the same thing about using disk brakes over v-brakes on mtbs a few years ago.

clubber
    Free Member

No, not really or at least not those of us with open minds and I recall plenty of people using them pretty quickly once they became available. I was a pretty early adopter of discs on mtbs too – 95ish – so I'm far from anti in general it's simply that cross bikes are very different. While I wouldn't even consider riding an mtb with cantis/Vs, I'll quite happily stick with them on cross bikes for now.

john_l
    Free Member

Liking that On-One up there. Is that a normal 26" Inbred frame with 700cc wheels and drops on? V cool!

Old Ti On-One 'cross frame made in limited numbers about 5 years ago. Wish I'd kept mine.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

/\ thanks, thought it looked too CX specfic to be a converted MTB. Still V cool though

geoffj

There's talk that the UCI's reversal on the disc brake ban was driven by Shimano and that they have something ready to use in this upcoming cross season

They already do – the Genesis Croix de Fer uses Shimano Road Disc Calipers. Assuming of course that the STIs are stock.

EDIT: Ooops, just saw the other Croix de Fer posts above

mogrim

it's simply that cross bikes are very different. While I wouldn't even consider riding an mtb with cantis/Vs, I'll quite happily stick with them on cross bikes for now.

Surely on a cross bike the advantages are similar to discs on an MTB? Better in mud, water, slime… Apart from weight, why would cantis be better?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Avid BB7s on my On One above are road lever specific. They are different from the mtb lever type.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Cantis offer more space/tolerance around the rim, therefore making better/easier wheel changing possibilities, something that happens a lot in cross.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Dam. Why do i need a cross bike. I have 6 bikes, one of which is a road bike and one is a 29er rigid. Would I actually use it once the new bike novelty wore off. Pretty bike. Pretty bike. Can you say pretty bike.

organic355
    Free Member

any idea how much that pure blood is?

EDIT: Found it 2599 Euros!

Bit disappointing that its only cable disc brakes tho?

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, Shimano already have brakes that will work but they're hardly top of the range items that the pros will be choosing to use. Bet there'll be a lot more choices coming out in the next months/years that will be much smaller/lighter.

Surely on a cross bike the advantages are similar to discs on an MTB? Better in mud, water, slime… Apart from weight, why would cantis be better?

Yes, technically but the fact is that cantis are light and work just fine on the road (training/commuting) or for CX racing which I reckon is what most CX bike are used for.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I didn't think you used the brakes in CX racing…

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i have just built up my new cx bike. no disk though.

Facebook Link

im sure it will serve me well in the falklands

Dyffers
    Free Member

I think you're rigt the top end weight weenies will stick with the lighter Cantis, but every amateur will switch to discs. The longevity of parts and ease of use will mean a massive new market for lightweight dropbar hydraulics et voila the big manufacturers convince us its essential and cantis become extinct.

As someone who rips through Open Pros on my audax bike I can't wait for more choice of disc forks / lightweight road discs and all the other stuff that'll come with mass marketing. I already run a Roadrat as a commuter because I can have a cable BB7 disc on the front so no rim wear in the winter.

mogrim

Cantis offer more space/tolerance around the rim, therefore making better/easier wheel changing possibilities, something that happens a lot in cross.

Er, how can they possibly offer more space around the rim than a hub-mounted disc?

I can understand the "cantis work well enough" argument, although I'm not sure it's true – discs mean lower rim wear, too.

Edit: dyffers got the rim wear argument in first!

clubber
    Free Member

The thing is that the rim wear argument is really only for those of us (which does actually include me) who ride our cross bikes on offroad stuff that's mtb-like – eg muddy, steep, technical, etc – most people don't so it's no more of an issue than it is on the road.

If building up a new CX bike now, I'd have discs by preference but I won't be going to the effort of changing forks/wheels/frames just to get discs which I did with mtbs back in the day.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Sorry I meant the gap between the brake pads on cantis is wider then between the rotar and pads on a disk brake.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If building up a new CX bike now, I'd have discs by preference

Can you point me in the direction of a CX disc frame, I cant find one.

clubber
    Free Member

There are very few. I'm not changing my frame (actually about to get it repainted) so I'm not going to spend the time looking for you KT 🙂

(OK, quick google found this http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b104s212p4647&rs=gb )

mogrim

Discs look cooler, too 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

yep, they do 🙂

They're going to look even cooler when Shimano et al come up with some really small, tidy ones too!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘CX bike lovelyness.’ is closed to new replies.