Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • CX bike around £1000?
  • jmenorton
    Free Member

Any suggestions, currently looking at the Caadx 105 2012, and the Cube Crossrace (doesn’t seem to be any in the country atm 😐 ) needs to be available with finance so the Boardmans are out.
    Thanks for any help

lazybike
    Free Member

I’ve got a caadx, £845 at Tritons, only 52’s left though, toe overlap and heavy wheels aside its ok……

jonba
    Free Member

Focus? Pick a shop that stocks them.
    Do on-one offer finance, good deals on them at the minute.
    have a look at Zepnat as well.

jmenorton
    Free Member

lazybike – Member

I’ve got a caadx, £845 at Tritons, only 52’s left though, toe overlap and heavy wheels aside its ok……

How does the raw alluminium finish look in the flesh, i’ve only seen the black tiagra model at the lbs and thought it looked much nicer than the pictures indicated.

lazybike
    Free Member

Its ok, I thought the black looked better, see whats available in your size….

karnali
    Free Member

8.99 in a 54 here

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/special-offers/cannondale-caadx-105/

i think there may have been some or sill some in the edinburgh bike coop sale aswell

scratch
    Free Member

Rose bikes do a full CX for around that,
    was looking for myself…for next year…

DT78
    Free Member

0% credit card (tescos 15months) – boardman cx?

(tis what I am planning on doing)

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Deeside Cycles in North Wales, aka Graham Weigh built me my Dolan with mixture of SRAM Force and Red for around that price. Got a much better spec that you would do normally. Give them a call or look on their website. A proper LBS run by cx racers…

beargotsoul

I was in Halfords in Weston Super Mare on Sunday. They had a Voodoo Limba for £399 reduced from £999. 54cm and 58cm left in stock.

mattmbk
    Free Member

I have the raw finish CaadX 105, looks superb and I’ve been really pleased with it. Ride it every day. Had a few issues with the BB30 but nothing major. Friend has the 2010 Cube which is also a great bike but has ‘racier’ geometry than the CaadX.
    Would recommend both!

jmenorton
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys, tbh i doubt ill be racing on it,just more for fast commutes, and i like to use canal towpaths to get to more rural areas. Also like the mudguards and rack mounts on the caadx for abit of light touring. My lbs offer 0% finance and lifetime free service,(Cube and Cannondale dealer) so heavily leaning towards the caadx atm.

lazybike
    Free Member

Also like the mudguards and rack mounts on the caadx

If you need a 52 or less watch the toe overlap

jmenorton
    Free Member

Im 6’1 so guessing a 56cm, the sizing chart says to go down a size from your road bike.

Never crossed my mind to take advantage of a intrest free credit card offer.

lazybike
    Free Member

Im 6’1 so guessing a 56cm, the sizing chart says to go down a size from your road bike.

you should be ok, down a size was right for me..

mattmbk
    Free Member

I’m 5:10 and ride a 54, the top tubes are quite flat so standover is reduced, I have no real problem with toe overlap. Only change I have made are knobblier tyres for off road and I’ve fitted some inline brake levers.

jmenorton
    Free Member

Just been looking at the Boardman, god thats a nice bike, is sram apex equivalent to 105?, also anyone have experience with the Ashton U Lyne Halfords Superstore?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

0% credit card and build one from parts, maybe even consider a used frame, you’ll get a better bike.

doh
    Free Member

No previous exp of cx bikes but love my white cross. It was between that and the board man and I’m happy with my choice

jmenorton
    Free Member

Think its between the Rose pro-DX 2000 , Cannondale CaadX 105 or the Boardman CX Team
    How are the Rose bikes regarded, not heard much about them, looks great value though, although never heard of the wheelset?
    Dont think i have the experience or patience to build one up from parts.

scratch
    Free Member

The Rose road bikes see to get positive reviews on BikeMagic.

sefton
    Free Member

I’m building a belter no nonsense race cx bike.

I had the wheels, got a frame from paul milnes and the rest from PX

Comes in at £750 without the wheels (its sram force & rival) frogglegs brakes, salsa cowbell bars (its gonna be awesome and eat Boardmans up)…or not 🙄

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

with sefton… my sworks tricross cost well under 1k. xt/ultegra/thompson etc all through.

but ok that was about 3 years ago and i grant you bike stuff has shot up!

hammerite
    Free Member

The Spesh Crux seems to get some excellent reviews.

jmenorton
    Free Member

These are the wheels on the rose, dont know enough about wheels to judge them, look pretty sturdy though. Pretty sure im going the interest free credit card route now, with either the boardman or the rose, Really like the look of the Rose in black, plus it would be nice to have something a little bit different, comes in at 9.25kg for the 58cm, seems like a good weight? Any other suggestions for ready built bikes with similar value for money? Mudguard and rack mounts preferred.
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far btw

lazybike
    Free Member

uncle john caught my eye when I was looking….

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Poison from Germany are well thought out and made, not sure 999euros are in UK pounds at the moment, but this is quite nice

jmenorton
    Free Member

Just waiting for the tesco credit card to arrive, then im pretty certain on the Rose, just need to work out which size will be best, 6’1 about 33inch leg, thinking 58cm, although will contact rose to be sure. Will post pics when it arrives, in a month or so.

AlexSimon

Hi jmenorton – did you get the Rose in the end?
    Interested to see what you think of it.

jmenorton
    Free Member

Yes i ordered the Pro DX 2000 in black, it will be here early next week, looking forward to it. Only got a camera phone, so any pics will be a bit shoddy. Ended up measuring myself properly, 6’2, 90cm inseam, and went with to 60cm.

AlexSimon

Did the purchasing experience go well?
    Did hou get to see one first?
    Look forward to hearing more.
    Cheers!

jmenorton
    Free Member

Yea, its seems smooth up to now, decent tracking, earned a few points for freebies ect. Nope i bought blind 😯 , both my other bikes are online buys though, so hoping all will be well.

DT78
    Free Member

Did you have to mail them to order? Don’t appear to be in stock?

jmenorton
    Free Member

No they were in stock when i ordered, said 3 weeks iirc, That was on the 19th though, and it should be here tomorrow or tuesday. The stock status seems to jump around abit, they might be changing the spec slightly, last time they all appeard out of stock, the wheel spec changed, and they added a triple chainset option, probs be back on soon.

AlexSimon

Looking at the geometry, the top tube seems shorter than many competitors.
    Something I might actually like.
    I’ll be interested in your thoughts.

jmenorton
    Free Member

Showing as back in stock now.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘CX bike around £1000?’ is closed to new replies.