• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by RRD.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • cwmcarn – ride-able this weekend?
  • mandog

looking to go there for a ride round the trail centre this weekend. Or will it be impassable snow?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Not much snow in Bristol, but not been over to Wales recently. I’d guess it is fine, but watch for ice on the rocks

Leku
    Free Member

Rode it on Sunday am.

Doable but slow. Some sections of black ice (esp top of climb).

Good fun if you can stay upright.

fadda

I did it on Sunday pm. Some bits are “interesting”, but its worth going still. Supposed to start thawing in the next day or two, so mud tyres may be in order!

robinbetts
    Free Member

Same as above. It had stayed colder than I had expected, so more crunchy than slushy, and there was a fair amount in the trees completely dry. Plenty of sketchy bits of ice to watch out for but all pretty much ridable with decent tires, control and a bit of nerve.

If it stays at freezing and below, which it might, it’ll probably be similar.

I loved it, but my mate hated it. Depends whether you enjoy the challenge of a tricky ride, and don’t mind the possibility of landing on your arse!

Kev79
    Free Member

Went last night and to be honest it wasn’t that rideable in a few sections, the climb after the picnic area before the fireroad to the freeride section was even difficult on foot. In the end we came down the DH course as we figured that would have less ice. That said there was still a few sections which were fun.

I guess it depends if any of the ice manages to thaw today as the temps are a little higher.

cubemeup
    Free Member

im off up there tonight, the hill looks pretty clear of snow, is it ice on the rocks?

thebunk

Anyone go today? How is it?
    Ta,

thebunk

Shepdon
    Free Member

Yes, managed half a lap this morning then picked up the walkers path back to the bottom near the steep concrete ramp. Set off about 9am and most of the trail was compacted sheet ice, not a lot of fun and was even difficult to walk. I live local and been riding there approx 5years and it was the worst condition that I’d seen it this morning and wouldn’t imagine it to be any better tomorrow (Sunday)
    Hope this helps

cubemeup
    Free Member

shepdon, the woods in wyllie are riding nice and machen, i was thinking about popping down for a lap tomo think i will leave it now then

Shepdon
    Free Member

Yes we usually ride cwmfelin and Machen but have done Cwmcarn the last 2 Saturday mornings and both times it has been pretty extreme. Was wondering what it was like over this side, went for walk up the line earlier and that was like an ice rink but then it’s in the shade all day.

cubemeup
    Free Member

i rode uo from bryn meadows ok until you get to the tip ice rink down the bottom!

Shepdon
    Free Member

Think it’s gonna be a good while till the ice has gone as everthing has been frozen for so long now. After today’s ride was toying with idea of making some spike tyres with a pair of old fat alberts I got in the garage

cubemeup
    Free Member

thats what i got fat alberts rode really nice on the dh in the wood today

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyvxeGp72c[/video]

Kev79
    Free Member

Hi

Has any been up there tonight or on Sunday? Just wondering if the ice conditions have improved from last week as I fancy a ride tomorrow.

Ta

mandog

i went Saturday and about 30% of the total trail is like a frozen mountain spring, mainly from the car park up to the top free ride area

thebunk

bump, for this weekend…

scant
    Free Member

thursday the mountains above cwmcarn were nearly entirely clear of snow & ice. since then we’ve had 2 dumps of snow. not massively deep, but it freezes every night & doesnt thaw much in the day. supposed -3deg is gonna feel even colder on top.

I never thought I’d miss chucking rain, mist & cloud, but its a damn sight more rideable than this snow/ice.

robinbetts
    Free Member

If the previous ice cleared, which I think it will have, then the fresh snow will probably be quite fun to ride. Not been up there yet, but we have a foot of snow in Cardiff, so that’s probably a good indicator. I’m taking the bike out tomorrow (not cwmcarn) along with the snowboard!

RRD
    Free Member

Any Updates?

I’m thinking of taking a trip to Cwmcarn tomorrow. Thinking the snow may be good fun?

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘cwmcarn – ride-able this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.