Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cwmcarn advice please
  • filks

Thinking of sorting out a trip to Cwmcarn in January – will do Cafall and Twrch – I’m no downhiller! Will be making a long day of it with a decent drive either side of riding so want to make sure it’s worth the effort before organising it.
    1) Will it be worth it in January? Are the trails ok in winter or should I wait til it’s less wet?
    2) Are the current works there disrupting the trails to the extent I should wait until they’re finished

TIA

nickjb
    Free Member

Two great trails. Both ride well in all weathers. Twrch will be near perfect any time of year, cafall is a little more natural so will have a couple of damp patches but not too much. Chance of snow I suppose. Not sure about the latest work. Just a short bit of the climb on Twrch missing last time I went. No big deal.

mikey74
    Free Member

The Twrch trail is rocky, so holds up pretty well: However, be prepared to get wet, even if it isn’t raining: the rocky nature of the surface means it stays wet, unless it hasn’t rained for quite a while.

It’s a great place and you’ll have fun. I did the uplift in November and had a blast. I would recommend crud catchers, though.

molgrips
    Free Member

However, be prepared to get wet, even if it isn’t raining: the rocky nature of the surface means it stays wet, unless it hasn’t rained for quite a while.

I disagree, bar a few puddles. It might be wet on a wet day, but you’ll finish up drier than if you’d ridden a natural trail. It’s all very rideable though whatever the weather.

nickjb
    Free Member

I disagree

+1

Its the driest, best draining trail I ride. My go to if the weather is rubbish

mark90
    Free Member

It’s also our go to ride when everywhere else is too wet. Barring snow it’ll be fine.

Only issue is when Cafell is going to be closed for logging. Heard talk but no definite details.

docgeoffyjones

Worth giving the MTB Ranger South Wales a follow on facebook as he is very good at giving out regular trail updates.

filks

Thanks all, really helpful. Bar a logging issue I’m in

P-Jay
    Free Member

Its the driest, best draining trail I ride. My go to if the weather is rubbish

Agreed, thanks to the amazing job the local Trail Crew do (I think it’s just Darrell from Cwmdown and his Mate) Twrch is pretty much puddle free and apart from a liberal coating of grime you wont get wet – Cafall is a bit muddier, but still nothing in ‘real trails’.

Cwmcarn is currently being felled, like most NRW/FC places, at the moment that means the valley floor – so if you follow the router like a Saint it means doing the first climb on Cafal after the Ranger Station on both trails, it’s not a ‘nice’ climb and lots of local usually skip it – this will probably still be in place in Jan, but otherwise it’s mint.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn advice please’ is closed to new replies.