Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CV Format
  • mrmo
    Free Member

If i email a copy of my CV in response to an advert which doesn’t state the file format. Is there any expectation that it should be sent as a word document or a PDF.

I am erring to sending a PDF simply as i know that the formating will come out the other end correctly.

longweight
    Free Member

PDF, everyone can open it and it will always be in the correct format.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Don’t forget to tailor your CV specifically to the job you’re applying for. Find ways to ‘spin’ (within reason) your experiences so that they align with the job requirements. No need to be dishonest, it’s just about making sure you make the most of your capabilities.

Also talk in terms of what you did and what you achieved; results are really important. If you led a team for example, what were the results of that team, how well did they perform etc.

Good luck!

fotorat
    Free Member

if the company cant open Word – why would you want to work there?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

PDF – if direct to a company so the format is right
    Word – If going to a recruitment agent so they can load it into their database

mogrim

Either, but I’d avoid Word 2007 format.

Flaperon

PDF unless requested otherwise. I maintain a copy in Word 2003 as well.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mrmo, just been to an outplacement agency as I am under notice. They gave very specific advice on the CV – my notes below. Good point about the PDF, but as suggested send in Word 2003 not 2007 format to any agency. If any of the companies you are applying to are US based, remember their paper is wider but shorter. Also printer settings can muck things up. Always insert a page break then leave at least 3 blank lines on the bottom of each page

Notes from meeting:
    1st page gives last 10 years, home address not needed
    Intro 3 line profile
    Do not include address
    Mention eg international, cross cultural, bus dev
    Needs to be max 2 pages
    What difference did I make
    Education
    Hobbies
    For interview prepare story with structure and colour. Should be 3 to 3.5 mins
    Prepare for The ‘tell me about yourself’ question
    For weeknesses mitigate by showing how you have addressed it
    Prepare’what would boss and peers say’

geetee1972
    Free Member

Captain Mainwaring – what was the outplacement company you went to called?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

geetee, it was Penna. It’s being paid for by the company making me redundant. Seem very professional

mrmo
    Free Member

Captain Mainwaring, thanks for that.

I only have word 2000, so no issues about producing something in docx format.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CV Format’ is closed to new replies.