Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cutting hydraulic hose…
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

As simple as getting a new razor blade and slicing as straigh as possible?

Also, it’s a new brakeset I’m doing this on, will the end olive things just swap over onto the trimmed end?

If I’ve bought a bleed kit, when I initially need to cut the hose do I just empt all the hydraulic fluid into a bucket?

Thanks for any help!

d45yth
    Free Member

What brakes have you got? There will probably be instructions for shortening the hoses on the manufacturers website.
    You will probably need new olives unless they’re Hope ones with the split in them.
    You don’t need to empty all the fluid out either. Just keep the hose upright so it doesn’t spill out.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Oh right I didnt know I could keep the hose upright? That however may be slightly difficult to cut or am I over thinking?

Sorry, they’re the new Saint M820 front and rear.

Thanks

DezB
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-xt-m785-brakes/page/6

Scroll down that page- I did some photos when I swapped my hoses over on XT. Might help. (Stanley Knife was used, no bleeding necessary)

You do need new olive and insert – the olives are squidged when you tighten the hose nut, this stops leakage.

d45yth
    Free Member

You’re over thinking it…you will be shortening them when they’re fixed to the bike right? You make the cut near the lever, if you need something to hold the hose after you’ve cut it, wrap an elastic band around the bar and poke it through that.
    You will need olives but will be able to re-use the barb if you’re careful when cutting the hose off them.
    Look on the Shimano website for instructions:
    Brake Hose.
    Saint Docs.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

A the photos in that other thread and those links make a bit more sense, I have just noticed that my box has 2 little brass parts in as well as the yellow blocks.

I’m think in my head I just presumed as soon as the hose came out it would squirt everywhere.

@DezB – when you say – ‘make sure the shroud nut and cover are down the caliper end of the hose’.

What does this mean? Can I do this cutting with the brakes still attached and the rotor still in between the calliper?

stumpy01

It won’t squirt out as the pressure is only generated when you squeeze the lever…

Probably gonna be doing this at the weekend to my Elixirs. Can I use cable cutters, or better off getting some nice, new Stanley blades?

_tom_
    Free Member

I just used a pair of side cutters lined up as straight as possible.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I use cable cutters to cut the brake hose, no problem.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

That.Is.Fan.Tastic!

Thanks footflaps and all those who have given input, I will attempt this weekend!

DezB
    Free Member

@DezB – when you say – ‘make sure the shroud nut and cover are down the caliper end of the hose’.

The shroud nut is the one that fixes the hose to the lever. If it’s not on the hose before you fit the olive you might not get it on… this isn’t the case with all brakes, but it is best to make sure.

brassneck

Superstar sell a hose cutter for about £4 – I bought it just in case and followed DezB’s excellent guide, no bleeding required. Though I do have some fluid pooling at the hose connection on the calliper end (that I didn’t touch) so I might need to warranty them anyway 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cutting hydraulic hose…’ is closed to new replies.