Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cutting concrete fence posts
  • the00
    Free Member

The 2.4m posts are a bit OTT, and it’ll be easier for me to trim them than to dig even further.

I can get either abrasive wheels or segmented cutting wheels for my angle grinder, any recommendations? Should I get ones for stone or a multipurpose disc?

footflaps

I’d expect them to have steel cables in them for strength, so use a multi-cutter disc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Diamond all the way, and when you say angle grinder I presume you mean a 9″ one.

the00
    Free Member

No, a little one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

O!

andyl
    Free Member

Should be doable with a little one. Easier to control too. Just work your way round and tap it with a hammer if there is still a bit bridging the middle. As long as there is no metal up the uncut bit!

Is it not easier to just dig down a bit more and make sure it’s secure? How high is the fence?

nickjb
    Free Member

Definitely diamond disk. Shouldn’t be too tricky unless you can’t reach to cut through the steel in the middle.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Don’t forget your hard hat and steel toe caps 🙂

windydave13
    Free Member

This might be a bit overkill but its STW at the end of the day.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHH-SGbX7D8[/video]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What would a safety deposit box thief do?

the00
    Free Member

Ok, diamond tipped it is. Thanks. They’re reasonably priced, so why not.

joat

Big hammer and Big bolt croppers, carefully smash the concrete and cut the re-bar. If you forget to put the disc cutter in the van and it’s too far to fetch it, this is your only option 😳

nickjb
    Free Member

Also it’ll make a lot of dust. Point it away from anything you like

richc
    Free Member
    slackalice
    Free Member

Are they new posts? Maybe exchange them for shorter ones? Shorter concrete posts are available and what you’re proposing will be very noisy and dusty. And slow. Possibly nicer for all concerned to either swap them out or dig deeper holes.

A 4″ angle grinder will take time, even more so if the posts are not new. Concrete gets harder as it cures.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cutting them down will expose the steel inside and then the steel will rust and then the concrete will burst, eventually.

I’d dig deeper or at least make sure the exposed steel is not poking through the concrete you will be putting around them. 50mm cover should suffice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cutting concrete fence posts’ is closed to new replies.