Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cutting alloy stearer
  • andy9678
    Free Member

What’s best to cut aluminium stearer on forks

stumpy01

Once you’ve measured it, then checked the measurement, then re-measured the bike, re-measured the steerer and checked a few more times, then….

A new blade in a hacksaw with an old stem if you have one as a guide. If you don’t have an old stem, then use some electrical tape.

ffej
    Free Member

A pipe cutter of the correct size would make the best cut, but it’s not a difficult job with a half decent hacksaw. I used some masking tape to mark the position and guide the initial cut. Once you get started it’s easy.

Measure twice.. cut once!

Jeff

RDL-82
    Free Member

Also if you don’t have an old stem but har some spare spacers then mount them on top of your good stem and use as a guide that way, no worries about marking stem as blade is only in contact with steerer and spacer.
    How I do it anyway.

MrGreedy

All good advice above. Don’t forget to file down the edges afterwards too.

rocketman
    Free Member

It doesn’t have to be particularly level or tidy. The last spacer above the stem will take care of any irregularities.

poolman
    Free Member

I got my lbs to do it as I couldn’t get the star nut out. They did a top job & only charged me 10 quid so well worth it.

aracer
    Free Member

Also when you’re measuring 10 or so times, do make sure to allow for the spacers and the stem!

Murray

Assemble the forks, spacers and stem. Draw around above the stem with a permanent marker. Cut should be just below the line – you need to allow a gap between the top of the steerer and the stem to allow the headset to be loaded.

Pipe cutter is easy, hacksaw guide is better, hacksaw by other methods works but be careful!

oldnick

2 jubilee clips make a pikey but effective cutting guide 🙂

MadPierre

Pipe cutter can deform the tube if you’re not careful. Hacksaw is easy enough. A pencil line drawn round it works (as it does for all sawing!) if you takes your time…

twoniner
    Free Member

I had to man up and get the balls to cut my carbon steerer on my Niner rigids. Measured about 10 times and then went for it. Nice and slow with a hacksaw! Worked a treat!

I’ve found if you are going to do these thing’s it’s well worth spending a couple of quid on a saw guide (X Tools) and have a decent hacksaw in your toolbox. Although I like the idea above with the old stem!

nedrapier

rocketman – Member
    It doesn’t have to be particularly level or tidy. The last spacer above the stem will take care of any irregularities.

Only time this will cause problems is if you’re planning on banging in the star nut by eye, using fingers and the bolt. No chance!

Bit more leeway if you’re using a banger-in-er tool, even more if you’re using a hed doctor type thing.

Worth filing the edges in any event.

bland

One of them adjustable pipe cutters done slowly, just keep tightening and spinning it. You get a lovely clean finish.

And as for the star fangled nut, try cutting a bit of broom shank off and belt it in with that

andyl
    Free Member

Before you cut fit it to the bike to double check you didn’t miss something!

brakes
    Free Member

^^^^ this.
    I had to do a rush job on some forks once, it looked like a bear had bitten through it. Once the stem and spacers were on, who knew?
    I got a pipe cutter to do some handlebars since then, but I don’t think it will be big enough for a steerer.

baldman
    Free Member

+1 using an old stem as a guide, works a treat .

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cutting alloy stearer’ is closed to new replies.