Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • cut gate at the end of February
  • rOcKeTdOg

After some local knowledge,What are conditions likely to be. Been invited on a ride & I seen to recall this route is a mud bath that’s best avoided to lessen damage to the trail & because it’s hard going (there will be a large group)
    any insights?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I’ll say it…

Gnarly, gnarly, gnarly?

richpips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother it will be a mess.

AlexSimon

Unless we have a very very dry spell or it’s frozen hard, I wouldn’t bother. Especially not if you would want to avoid damaging it.

mintimperial

It’s not *that* bad, but large stretches of it will be pretty foul unless it’s frozen solid. There’s much better stuff to ride in February if you’re off to the Dark Peak.

ton

offroad, february, cutgate, anywhere = mud.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Unless its frozen solid (= awesome), avoid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only the feeble would bail.

djflexure

The Wyre will probably be better

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, Cut Gate is only really good when it’s either bone-dry or frozen solid. The rest of the time it’s quite hard work and you might not ‘get’ it. If it’s still frozen at the end of Feb then go for it, but otherwise probably best to avoid, especially as part of a large group.

Most of the Dark Peak fares pretty well in the wet, because it’s mostly rocky. But Cut Gate ain’t.

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers everyone

Poor effort cynic-al

Tracey

Probably better to ask a couple of days before and then make a decision.

Pook

There’s a twitter feed that’s helpful for this kind of thing @kofthep

yorkycsl
    Free Member

A personal favorite but have to agree with the majority… Orrible in winter, water flowing over constant rocks then lovely peaks black goo that just loves eating pads cassettes and chains, that said ending the ride at langsett is a hoot & can be very fast in the dry.

Cheers
    Mark

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘cut gate at the end of February’ is closed to new replies.