Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • custom wheel builds – online or London based recommendations.
  • vaughan
    Free Member

what ho

I'm after some new wheels – silver hope 2 hubs with 721 rims. I've spent a while looking but can't find any sites offering that build. Any ideas?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I would imagine that Condor would be a good place to start. And there are places such as BikeFix, Brick Lane Bikes and many others. I wouldn't know if the chains like Evans and Cycle Surgery would offer a service comparable quality. Maybe best to go to some, and ask for their advice? The likes of Condor build stuff for pro racers, so should be pretty good.

Alternatively, you could learn to build wheels yourself, as it's immensely satisfying, and not that difficult. Time consuming though, and requires a fair amount of patience, concentration and competence with technical things. None of mine have failed yet!

jhw
    Free Member

Do not get your wheel built at Brick Lane Bikes unless they've had a radical change in the year since I last went, unless you want a wheel built with the wrong sized spokes, a different colour to your request, and a row over getting a refund for any of this. Some Evans shops have excellent mechanics, by the way – I don't know if he's still there, but Mario/Marian (spelling?), previously at the West End shop, was good. The problem is more the wait and the prices.

Is Wheelpro in Scotland still going? Back in 2000 they were THE place to get wheelbuilds.

vaughan
    Free Member

thanks chaps.

TooTall
    Free Member

I know High Wycombe is just outside London, but Cycle Care have built me wheels that are still true after years of my lardcore riding style.

vaughan
    Free Member

have ordered hubs and rims and going to get them built by London Cycle Works. Will report back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘custom wheel builds – online or London based recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.