Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Custom OS maps
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Has anyone odered a custom OS map

The North Peak only goes as far south as hathersage & the South Peak doesn’t cover ladybower so I was thinking of buying a custom one to cover more of what I use

I know digital maps are all the rage now but I just prefer a good paper one

bikebob

I’m with you, paper is great. I’m just about to order a custom OS centered on my house, that way I can view all thevtracks and retain on a single easy format.

peteimpreza

Yes, ordered several. Excellent service.

Conan257
    Free Member

Get a digital map and print out the section you use? Can overlay routes etc…

thepodge
    Free Member

I dunno why I put this in normal chat, was supposed to be in the bike section.

How easy is it to setup the area you want to cover?

I basically want my house in the top right corner of the map not the centre

druidh
    Free Member

Just work out what the co-ordinates of the centre would be with your house at the top right.

That too

alfabus
    Free Member

easy to do

http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/osselect/

Stick your postcode in, then on the map (right hand side) click on where you want the centre to be.

Dave

thepodge
    Free Member

Druidh, I guess that makes sense, I’ll have to have a look at lunch to see what size area it covers then work it back from that

Alfabus, cheers for the link

footflaps

You can make your own – Microsoft Maps (aka Bing) serves up OS map tiles, which you can stitch together to make a map:

http://www.bing.com/local/GetMap.ashx?b=r,mkt.en-gb,ProductSet.mmOS&rf=o&rp=n&z=14&c=51.982044,-0.08237&w=834&h=834

Drac

I dunno why I put this in normal chat, was supposed to be in the bike section.

You did I moved it as it’s about maps not bikes. 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Drac, I’d be using it mainly for cycling so I suppose it covers both forums in a way

Footflaps, I don’t have a printer or a laminating machine plus I’d prefer to carry one A1 (or whatever size it is) map than a load of smaller ones.

Reading the website, it’s not 100% clear if they are just paper or if they do them laminated, any ideas?

footflaps

I always have my maps in a Ortleib map case, so the waterproofing issue isn’t such a big deal.

druidh
    Free Member

That

It’s also worth saying that I got into smaller maps via the paper route. Handling a large sheet of paper in a wet, freezing gale is a recipe for disaster 🙂 I was trained to cut maps into a more manageable size.

TooTall
    Free Member

I was trained to cut maps into a more manageable size.

I guess with those wee legs it would take you forever to get across a piece of A4 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Especially in deep snow 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

In bad weather I’d stick to stuff I know.

As above, I don’t have access to a printer so any self made suggestions are a no go

I like laminated ones because I can write on them easier

BadlyWiredDog

You can get great OS site-centred maps on lightweight waterproof paper from these guys:

http://www.aqua3.com

Based in Hope so you’re supporting a local business. You can select the map area on the screen so you can see exactly what’s included. I’ve had one tweaked for the area around my house for the last four years or so and it’s still going strong with regular use. It’s a lightweight, tough, waterproof paper construction, not a heavy laminate, so no heavier than a conventional paper map and probably lighter in fact.

Oh, the web site’s not the most beautiful thing in the world, but the maps are good.

And the plus point over an Ortlieb map case is that you simply use it like a normal map, no need to rearrange the map in the case when you ride off the edge.

thepodge
    Free Member

Nice one BWD, if they are in Hope I might see if I can pop in over lunch & have a chat. Makes it far easier

climbingkev
    Free Member

Awesome, I want a framed one for Xmas to hang in the kitchen for pre/post ride briefs/debriefs……..brew in hand! Should probably invest in a laser pen as well, “we shall effect ascents hure, hure and hure”!

spandex_bob

Another vote for Aqua3; the lamination is non-glossy so doesn’t glare with a headtorch and is proving indestructible on the sheets I’ve already got. The self-centered mapping makes a huge amount of sense as you can re-center to crop off vast areas of ocean (as provided on equivalent landrangers) and I think you get more coverage per sheet anyhow.

Mike is the guy there; sorted me out with 4 x Landangers for the weekends shenanigans in Glen Shiel in double quick time. Seriously top-notch company and product.

alfabus
    Free Member

i have a 1:50k map centred on my house framed on the wall of my dining room… next to it is a map from 1900(ish) at the same scale and centre (from cassini maps)… excellent for sitting and staring at, playing spot the difference 🙂

Dave

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Custom OS maps’ is closed to new replies.