Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Custom made ordnance survey maps
  • Northwind

OK, I am a nerd, but these are fab aren’t they… It’s not just getting your perfect map- though that’s good- it’s the fact that you can change the titles and cover image etc, proper nerdery. And not even that expensive. Love it…

Bring forth the fine tip pens!

Bregante

Indeed. I got my Father in law one which is centred on their caravan in the lakes so he only ever had to take one map out with him on his epic walks.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got one for the Quantocks, I didn’t need it but I couldn’t resist. 😳

acehtn
    Free Member

Another fan.

Instead of getting 2 maps to cover where we went i just got a custom one of Knoydart.
    Xmas pressy for Mrs Ace, a taster of our impending trip there, so map was renamed Mrs Ace goes wild camping @ Knoydart, scored loads of brownie points with that one.

Whats not to love, some places are split over 2 maps, so having just what we wanted was ideal, pick the scale you want, center the map was a work of art in guess work to make sure i got as much in as possible, that took a while but got it bang on, used there file photos for the cover as didn’t have one handy to sub in.

Service was quick as well, had it in 2 days, strange thing is the maps come from one place and the silva map case i ordered as well came on it’s own from the O/S shop warehouse, that took 4 days.

Will have to go back and make sure we get maximum useage of it 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Ive got one ready to frame and hang on the wall, should be good!

If you do similar be careful, they cant be heat mounted (whatever that is?) due to the way they are printed. So make sure whoever frames it knows.

Out of interest, does anyone bother with the 25k maps over 50k, dosnt seem to be any more/less info other than slightly better contour lines.

avdave2

I got one done because I live close to edge of the Brighton map so I’m always riding into the Eastbourne map. And both those have a load of blue on them which if i try to ride on results in me sinking. Mine covers the SDW from Eastbourne to 3 kms past Devils Dyke and covers some really nice road riding north of the Downs.

Edric64
    Free Member

I live in Bath which is in the SE corner of the map .All the riding I want to do is South and East so it makes sense to get one centred the way I want rather than take 3 maps with me

acehtn
    Free Member

I went 25k, think that covered 20 square KM.

I did go through the centering process in both 25 and 50k and there was more fine detail in 25k, and yes contours are easier to make out too. 50k i think covers around 40 square KM area

I could fit my required area in on 25k, and i thought there was more detail with landmarks, i prefer the larger scale as i find it easier and more accurate when planning and working out route distance, i would go 50k if i couldn’t fit my route/area onto a 25k.

Dibbs
    Free Member

OS used to do a Quantocks 25k map but they’ve stopped it and lumped the Quantocks in with Exmoor which makes it a bit of a big old thing.

haggis1978

Cheers for starting this thread lads. Was looking for a map of Torridon and this has helped me right out 😀

STATO
    Free Member

I could fit my required area in on 25k, and i thought there was more detail with landmarks, i prefer the larger scale as i find it easier and more accurate when planning and working out route distance, i would go 50k if i couldn’t fit my route/area onto a 25k.

Cheers, mine is more a ‘where should i end up today’ prompt, so putting on wall as something to look at before rolling out the door. So detail contours, landmarks etc. not really required. The 25k didnt seem to have enough range to do that, since everything on the map was within ‘easy-ish ride’ distance.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Got one for Xmas centred on our house it’s brilliant because we are at the point where the maps overlap.

acehtn
    Free Member

This Torridon place crops up a lot lately 🙂 must have a look sometime.

make it easier to find 🙂 http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk

nickc

Yep got a couple, one from when they first started doing them, paper is very heavy (compared to normal) and the print was ever-so slightly blurred. Centred in the Chilterns, and one more recently that is in every way indistinguishable from a regular map, but centred on my house.

Things of joy.

This may come across as slightly xenophobic, but having used quite a few maps from various countries, it has to be said that OS are by Towns, let alone streets (see what I did there), ahead of most other maps.

stufive
    Free Member

Just ordered one 😀
    Ive used getamap for ages cracking idea

stufive
    Free Member

Got my map its great, it also came with this 20% discount code. CM20FF

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Custom made ordnance survey maps’ is closed to new replies.