• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by francis85-spam.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Custom insoles
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Moving on from this thread I’ve been thinking about getting some molded insoles for years but never done anything about it.

A quick search online shows that the price around the south east varies widely from £60 up to around £90 a pair.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Central London or south (as far as the South coast is fine – can always road ride out to the shop).

charlierevell
    Free Member

Have my first ride on the new Fizik ones this evening. £60, 15 mines or so to get sorted and away you go.
    Will let you know how I get on, but they fell a darn sight comfier already!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Might need some of these, only problem is I’ve at least 3 pairs of shoes so could be expensive* (roadie shoes, winter shoes and summer shoes), the northwave winter ones are by far the ‘worst’, not for comfort, but they make me pedal really toes out/heels in which is making a right mess of my chainstays (and probably my knees too).

*add to that that if I’m paying £60+ for insoles I’d buy some nice shoes to put them in first rather than a pair of 90’s spesh ones and some old shimano DX’s!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I swap my current Specialized insoles between my summer and winter shoes. Two pairs might be good but I don’t think you need them for every pair you own.

Thinking of the Sidas ones.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I had trouble with my walking boots for years, then I got a pair of these and I found them excellent. You can get them for between £30 and £40 Sole Softec Ultra They are way too thick for cycling shoes.

Found these on ebay, haven’t been delivered yet but I’m hoping they will be suitable for cycling shoes, they are a lot thinner. They are pretty cheap as well. Sole footbeds

Sole also do an even thinner version as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I swap my current Specialized insoles between my summer and winter shoes. Two pairs might be good but I don’t think you need them for every pair you own.

Possibly, but if I’m spending that much money I’d want them to at least work, and most of these systems seem to involve either pedal shims or camber on the insole which would be dictated by the shoe as well. And all my shoes are different brands/sizes as well which wouldnt help.

For flat shoes I use othoheel insoles from boots, masses of camber/angle and pretty thick though so only work in really flat/wide skate shoes.

argyle
    Free Member

I use superfeet. Just the trim to fit ones as the full on custom jobbies scare me. I like them, but I imagine like most things to do with fit it is all very subjective.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

@Winston Those are a bargain. Sole do a thinner version again that’s probably better for cycle shoes but at that price I’ll have a pair for something.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Thats exactly what I thought. If they are anyway as near as good as the thicker ones then should be worth it.

I am going to try them in my Diadora road shoes, if they will fit. If not I will use for my work shoes!

iainc

best to see a Podiatricst who can assess you for your own needs. in my case they took a plaster cast of my foot and used that as a mould for custom orthotics, for everyday walking. He analysed my gait and worked with Specialized footbeds and forefoot wedges to get it right for cycling.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Simon,

I can recommend Cyclefit in London – they offer eSoles which whilst they are not cheap you can easily move between shoes as I do.

I had a full bike fit with them and ended up with some eSoles amongst some other changes to my bike setup and it was the best investment in my cycling I have ever made.

Good luck

C_D

willard

I use the Softec ones in both my issue boots and other pairs. The this ones (“Response”?) are more for sport footwear, but they seem to work well enough for me. The medium thickness ones offer a bit more cushioning though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Custom insoles’ is closed to new replies.