Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Custom frame question…….
  • letmetalktomark

I like the aesthetics of having an integrated seatpost of a frame a la:

If you wanted a purely XC based frame and didn’t need a height adjustable post would you consider it?

I ave seen options where worst case the extension can be removed, ST reamed for a std post.

mjsmke

Frame looks lovely. But cable discs!!!!????

Its a good idea for purely xc racing but what happens if you buy a different saddle with a different height? Or if you want to sell it?

relliott6879
    Free Member

If it’s purely an aesthetic consideration (I have to admit, the bike in the picture does have a certain ‘something’) and you’re postive you’ll never want to drop the saddle (when putting it in the car for example) then why not? It’s your hypothetic custom frame, after all. As far as weight saving goes, if that were a concern, I can’t see the difference between a longer steel, alloy or titanium seat tube and a ‘normal’ length seat tube with an alloy, titanium or carbon post inside it and a clamp around the top being more than a crisp packet or two either way.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I wouldn’t there is always some point where I want to lower the saddle maybe once every 6 months but I wouldn’t fancy having my seatpost stuck up like that.

letmetalktomark

Hmm good points – part of me thinks its all a bit too much “look at me” but I cannot get around the fact that it looks cool 😆

Hadn’t considered getting it in and out of a car 😕 but as this is purely hypothetical at this point I shall disregard the comment! 😆

Yum:

18.5lbs too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but what happens if you buy a different saddle with a different height? Or if you want to sell it?

Most integrated seatpost use either a stub of a seatpost to give them ~1″ of adjustment, or a short external clamp that achieves the same thing. Or if you have that one in the pic your f****d.

wwaswas

you also have the question of where to clamp it in the stand for maintenance.

I’ve always read ‘never use a frame tube’ and I’d rather be levering against a relatively disposable seatpost than an extended seat tube.

letmetalktomark

wwaswas – Member

you also have the question of where to clamp it in the stand for maintenance.

My preferred stand for maintenance ….

wwaswas

a step through bicycle?

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you’d need to drop the saddle on that sort of bike, I’ve never in my life dropped a saddle. Though I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t something in that build to allow for minor adjustment >30mm?

Regards selling on, you just can’t think like that when going custom.

That bike though, take away the intergrated post and it’s nothing special.

higthepig
    Free Member

That bike though, take away the intergrated post and it’s nothing special.

Looks a bit like my Merlin Malt 2 frame with a photoshopped scaffold pole/saddle added..

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

could make putting the bike in the boot of the car awkward 🙂

Tasso
    Free Member

A change of shoes, pedals, saddle all might mean you want a bit of adjustment not to mention the occassional foray on to a DH course.

Could have gone down that route with my Mather but glad I didn’t.

On a road bike maybe.

jameso

A daft idea for MTBs, imo. Can’t think of a single ‘for’ argument, unless there’s some very cool new butting profiles available on 800mm long seatubes. And even then, I’d not be convinced )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Custom frame question…….’ is closed to new replies.