Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Custom Bolts for a BMX stem design
  • Speeder

I’m starting work on a BMX stem design for a friend and I’ve hit a bit of a wall in terms of fixings. I’m pretty sure I’m going to need some non standard bolts for it as ISO fixings have too large a head for packaging/aesthetics and I’m having a bit of trouble googling for them. Either I’m using the wrong terms or they’re very custom (ie not just non-standard but made to design/)order and having seen many smooth sided narrow headed bolts on cycles for a long time I’m sure that’s not the case.

Anyone have a source? CAD models of such are especially welcome so if they’ve got those it’s a bonus.

Cheers

Gary

stumpy01

As above, there are loads of different fasteners out there, it’s just finding them.
    Misumi are generally pretty good.

If you are just after a cap head screw with a low head, Google DIN7984.

You can have pretty much anything custom made, but they will come at a large cost.

plyphon
    Free Member

As someone who rode BMX for 7 years…. please do not use non-standard bolts.

most frustrating things ever.

huckersneck
    Free Member

Turn down the head diameter on a standard bolt to fit your application? This approach is working well for 2x linkage bolts on my full suspension bike, as the OE offerings from the manufacturer are both poor quality and outrageously expensive. It’s a compromise though and has its disadvantages, as plyphon suggests.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another thought. What about a shimano crank pinch bolt. Readily available and while non standard (which is a pain, as above) at least it is a fairly common bike bit.

brant
    Free Member

Hey Gary. YHM

Speeder

Nick/Stumpy thanks very much for the links – they’re easy to find when you know what the terms used to describe them are but I wasn’t quite sure.

Plyphon – what problems did you have with the non stard bolts was it a because they snapped and you couldn’t get replacements or other?

Brant – thanks for the email, I’ll reply later when I’ve got a bit more time.

The STW search engine strikes again.

Cheers

G

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Custom Bolts for a BMX stem design’ is closed to new replies.