Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Curry – will I die?
  • CountZero

Or will parts of me just feel like they want to?
    Browsing the microwave curries in Iceland, I spotted this, and thought, what the heck…

freddyg
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/It7107ELQvY[/video]

jaylittle
    Free Member

Whats the worst that can happen……

clodhopper
    Free Member

If you buy rubbish like that, then you almost deserve to!

maccruiskeen

We expect a blow by blow account. 🙂

My friend gave me a ghost chilli – he’s a bit of a bon vivant and recipe collector and usually anything he gives me comes with an interesting recipe or ideas for eating it. The only instruction he gave me was ‘wear gloves’ 🙂 .

The trouble is- since he gave it me and I drove home- I’ve lost it. It can’t have gone far – in the car? In the kitchen somewhere? In my overnight bag? Escaped from my overnight bag and now hiding in the pants draw? Its been lurking for about 18 months now – Like a ticking time bomb.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Likely mild.

Supermarket curries can be nice (unlike supermarket Chinese food which is never nice), but spice factor is rarely above mild.

It’s a bit like curries in America. Everything is served by default with no heat whatsoever, even if you ordered Madras, Vindaloo or Phall (if they have it). You then ask for a level between 1 and 10 for how hot it should be. Order 10 and they look shocked and warn you it’s very hot. Then turns out to be as hot as the mildest curry in the UK.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Why would you want a really hot curry anyway? I prefer to actually taste what I’m eating.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you buy rubbish like that, then you almost deserve to!

CountZero

Why would you want a really hot curry anyway? I prefer to actually taste what I’m eating.

In that, you’re absolutely correct, I rarely eat anything much hotter than a jalfraizi, but curiosity got the better of me.
    Iceland curries aren’t rubbish, either; I’ve had plenty of curries from actual Indian restaurants, and made by people who knew how to make a good curry, and those Iceland ones are very good, and the hotter ones are really very spicy!
    Had one tonight, actually, and I enjoyed it very much, but that ghost chilli curry I’m going to treat with the utmost respect!
    I’ve got some nitrile disposable gloves, I think I may wear some while preparing it, just to be on the safe side. 😀

wordnumb
    Free Member

They could at least have extended the ghost theme to the best before date: 1785
    Serving suggestion: warm through with a proton pack being careful not to cross the streams, serve on a containment grid with stay puft marshmallow.
    Produced in Zuul.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

You’d wear gloves putting it in the microwave? How dangerous is this curry???
    😈

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It used to confuse my ex that I could make a curry with loads of spices and hardly any chilli that she thought was hot but not tolerate chilli heat. I will avoid anything that is just chilli fire it’s not that enjoyable but the rest of the flavour is important.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Chili heat is also one of these things that your body gets used to, so after a while eating hot curries you can still taste all the other flavours, not just the heat.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I think deadkenny’s right. It won’t be anywhere near as spicy as you’d imagine.

You do get used to it as whatnobeer said. My 16 month old eats spicy food and enjoys it. I mean, the kind that makes my nose run a little. Our nanny (Thai) eats unimaginably spicy food but was complaining the other day that her lunch (not cooked by me) was just chilli and not a ‘smooth’ flavour. Cooking with spices is an art and chillies are part of the mixture but certainly not all. I love making hot sauce from home-grown chillies and although it’s properly hot stuff, there are other flavours there and by making small batches, you certainly taste the difference with different ingredients, even if, at first, they are just heat.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I went to a pub quiz where the tiebreaker question was ‘ how hot is a chicken madras from the Iceland across the road’

tomd
    Free Member

Supermarket curries can be nice (unlike supermarket Chinese food which is never nice), but spice factor is rarely above mild.

I got a bit of a shock with the Sainsbury’s Chicken Phal. Easily up there with the hottest things from a curry house.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m going for: excreting a tiny demon formed from a vile-smelling mixture of chillis, bloody faeces and sins of the flesh, which forces you follow it, dragging you by your reeking prolapsed intestines, as it tours Brick Lane looking for authentic Bangladeshi food at reasonable prices and arguing with the touts in the street about whether it gets a complimentary pint of Cobra.

🙂

breadcrumb

I think some supermarket curries are starting to ramp up the heat.

I love a reasonably hot curry and some have been spicy enough to give me a runny nose and sweaty brow.

alanl
    Free Member

That Ghost onw is not too bad on the hot level, it is the one with the lonmg red chilli that is ridiculously hot.
    As for Icleand curries – they are really good – as good as the £6.99 ones from the Indian takeaway here. We generally haev Madras or Jalfrezi from them, and rate them against any other take-home curry.

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t agree supermarket curries are milder than the restaurant equivalents, not in Tesco or Sainsburys for the past few years anyhow. I’m a bit of a wuss and only go for a madras level of heat generally and the supermarket ones have got as much kick as the restaurant ones.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ghost chili because there aren’t any real chilies in it ?

maccruiskeen

I will avoid anything that is just chilli fire it’s not that enjoyable but the rest of the flavour is important.

There are lots of really tasty chilli’s though
    I’ve got some lovely citrus-y Aji Limons on the go at the moment (I keep them in a fancy chilli grater that looks like a really angry sex toy and use it as a seasoning on lots of stuff)

I grow a mild variant of Habanaro thats really nice- which is still spicy but really flavourful whilst sensible enough to chop into a dish rather than have to make into a sauce.

Ghost Chilli- as mad, mad hot as they are also pretty tasty, you just need to take care with how you apply it – make it into an oil rather the heat is too inconstantly distributed in the chilli itself to just chop it up and throw it in the pot.

slowoldman

I think some supermarket curries are starting to ramp up the heat.

Well it avoids having to make something which tastes nice. I’m with clodhopper on this one.

kayla1
    Free Member

I like a good, solid Madras level of heat- just enough to get a runny nose with perhaps a need to turn the heating down but no more than that. I tried Phal once, just so I could say later in life ‘I tried Phal once’ 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think I had a king prawn vindaloo for my 21st back in Loughborough, I think it involved trying to get the sauce off the prawns…

allan23
    Free Member

The Sainsbury’s Phal isn’t too bad, can manage one on a lunchtime and still do an afternoons work without trotting off for the Johnny Cash song above.

I quite like hot food though – they started selling these in our local CoOp and they’re a bit addictive.

http://www.alfturner.com/products/dragons-scotch-egg/

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve been off chili’s since i went to the Courthouse in Peebles a few years back and stupidly ordered this off the menu. Seemed like an excellent idea at the time.

Fork In Hell – 8oz Char-grilled Scottish Borders minced beef, served with Courthouse Ghost Chilli Sauce, jalepenos and topeed with Mexican Cheese – WARNING – not for the faint hearted, its hot hot hot!!

Didn’t taste anything else for 3 days afterward (except the bitter taste of regret when a volcano erupted out of my arse.)

johndoh
    Free Member

The Asda Vindaloo used to be lovely – really hot but with a great undercurrent of flavour supporting it.

However they have now changed it and it’s okay for the odd convenience meal but nothing I would go out of my way for. 🙁

100mphplus
    Free Member

I can eat mega hot curries because I have no sense of smell/flavour so they actually seem mild to me. I only find out how hot it really was the next day when Johnny Cash starts to play 😉

I once won a chili eating contest as no one else could actually chew the last chili and I chewed and swallowed – the ass lit up though the next day 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

Whats the worst that can happen….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ive-just-eaten-a-phal

i’ll get the kettle on…

mrsfry
    Free Member

Are you still alive 😕

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve just had one for my tea. Ok taste wise but not brilliant. Plenty of heat 😛 I’d put it up there with a hottish Vindaloo, but not the same as a good Phall. Worth £1.50 for a quick heat fix.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sticking chillies in things I find the heat depends on the size of them, how they’re cooked and how long you leave them in.

I find stuff like bird eye chillies hotter if chopped up finely and left in a pot simmering for a while than a same strength or a little hotter and larger chilli. Especially if not chopped up much and more so if not left in too long. Get better flavour out of the big ones too.

I’ve also discovered freezing chillies intensifies them 😀 . Though they come out a bit soft when defrosted, but they’re only going in a curry or chilli dish anyway for me.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Curry – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.