Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • currently having an argument..
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

..on another forum. Poster reckons i am in the wrong for banging on the roof of a car if it passes too close to me, i say i have the right to alert the driver to the dangers of his actions.

What say you?

markd
    Free Member

link…

ton

😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Better not – i might get banned! 😆

TheDBF
    Free Member

You're only a cyclist, you have no right on the roads

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I generally do it on buses = embarrass the driver, then shout that I've got the time, place and number

Cars go past me too quickly for me to wobble+swear+regainmycomposure+computeincident+smackcarwithpalm especially as it usually happens in a 40+ zones.

markd
    Free Member

LINK!….

Suggsey
    Free Member

Surely you were only pushing the car away from you? The fact that it sounded like a bang on the roof was purely coincidental?

lyons
    Free Member

You are wrong, how could you be so stupid…

Next time smash off their wing mirror 😈

yetiguy
    Free Member

heres the deal, you give us the link and we will give you our opinion

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The poster says that any 'assault' on the vehicle is a criminal act (technically i suppose he is right) whereas i say it is an entirely understandable action borne of fear and insticntive reactions.

ton

lyons – Member
    You are wrong, how could you be o stupid…

Next time smash off their wing mirror

and when they get out to threaten you, use the flying headbutt…..it works a treat. 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Lyons – already done that to a Merc C220 but i had to get off the bike to do it, plus i had already tried to headbutt the driver through his window! 😳

lyons
    Free Member

Ton – Exactly. I like youre style….

wrightyson
    Free Member

Honestly? I'd go fruit loop if someone hit my car, and I'd be out at em, but as someone who rides bikes you know the score, so I try to give as much room as poss when passing.

crikey
    Free Member

You are a bit wrong I'm afraid.

It's all very well taking the moral high ground, but it is easy to get squished, or punched if they stop.

It's not really worth it, and …in my opinion… leaves yet another driver mad at cyclists…

Relax, stop being aggressive…

everyone elses mileage may vary, but it achieves very little..

phildowling
    Free Member

Personally i kick the door…and with Keo road cleats they always have a little reminder of our meeting 🙂

LINK by the way…

lyons
    Free Member

wear this for your nest bike ride!

druidh
    Free Member

The car can't be so close as to be causing any problem if you have the time and space to take a hand off the bars and hit the car with it

RichPenny
    Free Member

Perhaps you are. However, piloting a ton plus of metal close enough for you to touch? Also wrong. On balance, I'd say that taking risks with someones life is more serious than possible bodywork damage. But hey, car is king 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member

The poster says that any 'assault' on the vehicle is a criminal act

That is rubbish. You cannot assault a car, the only crime would be criminal damage if you damaged it.

If you can hit a car it is too close and a slap on the roof makes a noise but does no damage. However it might escalate any row – These days I try not to get involved. Don't let it spoil your day but spoil theirs is my aim now. So tell 'em they are a tosser in as inventive a way as you can laugh and ride away.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Could well be a breach of the peace.

EDIT possibly also an assault, would need to look into that.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Actually, how close does someone have to get for you to be able to bang on the roof? Not something I've tried tbh. I've had the red mist descend a few times, but luckily the drivers fecked off before anything physical occurred. Getting close, nein, more just pushing me into the curb.

colande
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    The car can't be so close as to be causing any problem if you have the time and space to take a hand off the bars and hit the car with it

yup thats what i was gonna say,
    if you have the time to actually think and react that way,
    surely your not in as much danger as you think/say,

i've had my handlebars knocked my a car/van wing mirror twice,
    no way i had time other than to control what i was doing and stay upright.

the problem is if you bang and bash on their car,
    the driver will take out his frustrations on the next cyclist he sees!
    regardless of what they are doing,
    not good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – from what I remember (and you told me I was wrong as harm needed to be done) its only an assault if you touch the person or if you put them in fear that you are going to hit them – neither can be true here.

I do think the inventive insult and ride away laughing at them is the best option tho.

"hope yer next craps a pineapple"

"Driving license or dog license"

"got a drivers license? Get it in a cornflake packet?"

And my fave "THROMBUS" ( medicalese for bloody clot) That usually confuses them

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I won't link to the forum 'cos it's a private one for our re-enactment group & i might be in trouble if you lot descend on the place!

I actually haven't done the bang on the roof thing, it was a metaphorical scenario i put forward. It is interesting to see this posters views in that it certainly reinforces the idea that the car is worth more than the health of the cyclist.

dano
    Free Member

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
    A: Yes it is.
    M: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: It is!
    A: It is not.
    M: Look, you just contradicted me.
    A: I did not.
    M: Oh you did!!
    A: No, no, no.
    M: You did just then.
    A: Nonsense!
    M: Oh, this is futile!
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

RichPenny
    Free Member

i've had my handlebars knocked my a car/van wing mirror twice,
    no way i had time other than to control what i was doing and stay upright.

That's not a car getting too close, that's an RTA mate, they've hit you. I don't know about you, but I'm weaving about avoiding potholes at the moment, so there's a reasonable chance that a car wanting to pass closer than a foot could collect me.

epicyclo

If you're close enough you can do an unfortunate scrape of your pedals on his paintwork. Lovely curving ones. Proof he was too close – but no good if speed is involved.

Drivers don't care about hurting you, but they hate their cars getting dinged.

hilldodger
    Free Member

It's really hard to call – I used to be a roof thumper/door kicker but now just ride on.

Reasoned that if it was a psycho-bike-killer driver the bang would just raise the game and either I, or perhaps worse the next biker they meet, get really hurt.
    If they're just clumsy/useless then a loud :bang: might surprise them so much they lose attention and be even more dangerous.

Either way – banging/kicking/shouting etc can have no positive effect and just makes the whole car Vs bike 'thing' even more reinforced in both parties minds…….

…a chilled rider is a safe rider 😀

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Still tough going up in 'Dale then?!!

BTW, how'd you get on with that cycling [training?] job?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Nowt as yet Dave – currently doing 3 days a week volunteering with Hollingworth Lake centre, they'll be putting me through the CTC Trail Leader Award in April so we'll see how the work pans out.
    Still looking for other work tho.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tj my mamary is that frightening someone can be enough eg spitting.

BOTP is pretty easy tho.

avdave2

If a driver is actually overtaking you in a safe manner you cannot bang on their roof as it is out of reach therefore no driver can have a reasonable argument against what you have done.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've rattled a few white van doors in my time, they don't half bloody rattle!!! Its basically just an empty tin can, isn't it!

I'd say so long as no damage is done, the driver should consider it a warning that he's too close.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

al – at the time you told me I was wrong and that real harm had to be done to be an assault. I remember it clearly . Glad to see you now accept mine ( and the commonly held) view of what an assault is.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Harm. Can be psychological as well as physical.

You seem to remember this stuff way better than me (stw battles that is)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thing is, how does a driver know if damage was done without getting out and looking which would really escalate the situation?

Had one on monday when, waiting at the lights the car alongside me suddenly had a bang from something – i don't know what hit it, it wasn't me but i didn't see anything. The occupants were looking daggers at me but all i could do was shrug my shoulders and shake my head.

BikePawl
    Free Member

If you can hit the roof they are too close. Doesn't the Highway code give a passing distance of a metre and a half. Only Al has arms that long

BillyBull
    Free Member

Have kicked one car. Driver looked at me coming accross a roundabout and still pulled out. Sod them they could have knacked me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘currently having an argument..’ is closed to new replies.