Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Current poll : What puts you off mountain biking more in winter the most?
  • kelvin

Where do I tick for “the all too common cold”?

Although me recent one has now gone, and I’m back on the bike, it’s the most often reason for not riding in winter.

beej

The cleaning.

tom200

Work!

pk13

Cleaning the bloody thing after. Although cannock was nice today frozen fast ground.

scotroutes

Cleaning? I find the bike strays pretty clean in winter. Get home, shake snow off, put in garage to drip dry.

TBH, I think the whole premise of the poll is wrong.

Clink

Cleaning.

wiiija
    Free Member

That bitter cold wind does it for me, I bailed out of commuting today.

ratherbeintobago

Ice.

bigblackshed

I hate being wet. 15 years of commuting in all weathers just kills my enthusiasm now.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Mud. Thick, claggy, speed sapping mud. It is fine in the Peak where it is just wet grit but riding in slop in the woods is rubbish. However, if your trails get mudy like that then they can’t be that good. The best trails are wall to wall rocks.

simondbarnes

Mud

mintimperial

Yep, ice. Don’t mind the cold, or the wind, or the wet, or the mud, but I don’t like the risk of hitting the deck suddenly and without warning in front of a car, or halfway down a Pennine in the dark on my own.

IdleJon

The shorter days. While I love night riding I prefer to ride in the daylight on my own and very often can’t fit a decent ride in among other daytime commitments. (I still manage a few times a week though! 🙂 )

bikeneil
    Free Member

Mud, cold, dull, wet, cleaning bike, cleaning clothes.

smatkins1
    Free Member

The cold weather related illnesses interfere the most with my rides

matt_outandabout

Cleaning is a chore. But worth it.

Phil_H

Clambering into tights, overshoes and the extra faff involved in getting ready.

mcnultycop

Cleaning. Mouldy clothes.

ampthill

On road ice

Off road mud

joshvegas
    Free Member

Nothing. I’m a lazy bastard all year.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The fact that I work shifts & seemingly whenever I’m off, the weather is crap. I’ve just sold a factory that made tee shirts that said, ‘I’ve ridden for 20 years in crap weather’.
    Haven’t been out this year & up to now I’m not even bothered.

chambord
    Free Member

Fear of ice on roads for sure. Every corner I think I’m going straight on my face

lunge

Faff, general faff. Dirty bike, dirty clothes, putting said dirtiness in the car or having to ride 5 miles in the road. Simply not interested at the moment.

simmy
    Free Member

Ice

Getting the hours in due to lack of daylight as everytime I’ve gone off road in the dark on my own, something has gone wrong with the bike.

So I just ride round the streets in town.

jonnyrockymountain

Ice!!!!!!

br
    Free Member

For those who put ‘cleaning’ – just buy a HT and put it away dirty.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

From my cozy non MNPR throne at this very moment… The cold and the shitty mud that I can’t wash off in my second floor flat. Doing that at the side of the road with a bucket is less than appealing and it’s too dark to do a good job, too.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Although this week I couldn’t get out there due to other commitments. Humpf.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Being a wuss.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nowt really, don’t ride much less MTB than I do in summer to be honest

jameso

Rigid SS, ride it from my door – no excuses really, would drive me nuts if there was a good reason not to ride. CX bike when it’s so claggy that mixing some easy trails with road miles is a better bet. I think winter bikes that are good to ride in summer are the best sort of UK off-road bike.

schmiken

Cleaning.

superfli
    Free Member

The faff of cleaning my clothes and garage after a ride. It will take a good hr to sort myself out after a ride, and on a Wed night ride, that means pretty late.
    Get home, wash bike, peal off clothes, shower, rinse clean clothes in sink, chuck in washing machine, clean garage where I have been.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Snowboarding

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Still ride plenty in winter but the endless cleaning of dirty kit does get annoying.

Duggan

All of it, basically. I enjoy running just as much as cycling so just do that in Winter.

Shoes on>run>have shower>go about the rest of the day. The kit, the endless maintenance, cleaning bike, cleaning clothes, driving to trails,getting mud everywhere in the car, cleaning that, fixing punctures in the freezing weather associated with mtbing, **** that.

takisawa2

Nothing. I prefer winter riding.
    Ok, not quite true, but I do tend to ride more in Winter.
    Rigid singlespeed though.
    Proper wash once a year.

scotroutes

And what about the bike?

cookeaa

The sense of smug satisfaction when I know others won’t have gone out, coupled with the feeling that its doing me some genuine good riding in the cold and wet, plus some really nice winter views persuades me not to make the sniffles/cleaning muddy kit excuses too often… But I do much prefer summer.

Rigid SS is the way to go but mines part disassembled currently so I was out on the 1×10 HT Sunday, 5 minutes with the hose post ride got the worst of the mud off, chain off and I’ll quickly re-lube it before the next ride, wasn’t that much of a chore TBH…

hora
    Free Member

Deepish snow. You can’t bloody ride just trudge stop start. Actually prefer cold to rain and wind too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Current poll : What puts you off mountain biking more in winter the most?’ is closed to new replies.