Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Current MBUK – manuals?
  • WackoAK
    Free Member

article in the current MBUK about manuals, Doddy says to "pull up" on the bars – I thought this was the incorrect technique?

soobalias
    Free Member

depends on your definition of 'pull' 'up' & 'bars'

tron
    Free Member

depends on your definition of 'pull' 'up' & 'bars'

Philosophy / Sociology graduate? 😆

finbar
    Free Member

Given that Doddy can manual quite convincingly, i'd suggest it isn't incorrect.

timmys

Is this a continuation of the skills tutorials that last month proudly advertised on the cover how to do "skid turns"? 🙄

WackoAK
    Free Member

Yep, that's what I was thinking or as SOOBailas alludes to maybe it's the definition?

Timmy – yes, same car park area.

thomthumb
    Free Member

well seeing in the photos he isn't pulling on the bars i'd say it is!!

PJ266
    Free Member

Id say pull back on the bars, but theres no point reading how to do it, just go and piss about outside your house for 6 months, thats how I managed to do it!!

mtbfix

Bet they don't suggest strapping a cushion to your rear for the inevitable moment when the bike runs away from under you, dumping you on your arse in an unceremonious fashion.

donks
    Free Member

Bet they don't suggest strapping a cushion to your rear for the inevitable moment when the bike runs away from under you, dumping you on your arse in an unceremonious fashion.

Top tip…use back brake here.

There is no explaining these techniques really, like already stated you just put the time in and if you have the modicom of talent required you will master it in your own way…may be then try the provided tip and it will improve your technique but it's just trial and error until then.

finbar
    Free Member

Alright, i haven't read it, but i certainly need to pull up on the bars (as well as stick my arse out the back and push with my feet) to get the front end up high enough to manual.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    finbar
    Free Member

Alright, i haven't read this particular article, but i certainly need to pull up on the bars (as well as stick my arse out the back and push with my feet) to get the front end up high enough to manual.

imp999
    Free Member

I recomend going out the front of your house and messing about BUT on your daughter's 24" wheel bike.
    I wondered what the hell was going on as I sailed down the road on the back wheel – astonishing! and probably never to be repeated.

glenp
    Free Member

Imagine you were standing in front of a really heavy gate, which you wanted to move back towards you. Yes, you would pull it, but you wouldn't get very far if you just stood bolt upright and tried to pull by yanking your arms towards you – you'd naturally lean back, stick you heels in and your bum back and haul with your whole self, on long arms.

So – there's pulling, and pulling. "Pull up on the bars" doesn't explain it well enough, basically.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Whilst Mr Dodd can manual, perhaps he's not explained himself very well. Every instructor/coach who comes on here will all say, you don't pull … remember there can be a massive difference between a good rider and a good instructor.

Stuart

glenp
    Free Member

Not the same, but similar: Tug of War. You use your legs. If you just say "pull" it doesn't describe the technique at all well.

poppa
    Free Member

remember there can be a massive difference between a good rider and a good instructor

As I can testify from my previous relationships*.

*in my head

GEDA
    Free Member

I would say if you can ditch using the rear brake as soon as possible you are going to learn quicker as the whole point is to use your body weight to balance the bike and I find it is really hard to feather the rear brake. It feels more like pushing the whole bike away from you than pulling.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I had this conversation a few months ago – Don't pull on the bars. You extend / push your legs which rotates your weight round the rear axle which in turn lifts the front wheel. No pulling.

imp999 – Member
    I recomend going out the front of your house and messing about BUT on your daughter's 24" wheel bike.
    I wondered what the hell was going on as I sailed down the road on the back wheel – astonishing! and probably never to be repeated.

How about on a 20" bike instead to have even greater effect?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Where's Jedi when he's needed?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

wheelie. manual. coaster wheelie. I'm sure once upon a time they were aall called the same thing 🙄

stilltortoise
    Free Member

+1 on the advice of going out and playing tho'. I've read/watched umpteen of these MBUK guides and learnt nothing

thomthumb
    Free Member

wheelie. manual. coaster wheelie. I'm sure once upon a time they were aall called the same thing

but how to differentiate them

stilltortoise
    Free Member

There's no term to differentiate between pedalling a bike standing up or sitting down is there? So why do we need one just because we're on one wheel. Just asking 😕

finbar
    Free Member

Jesus, a wheelie involves pedalling and a manual doesn't. It's not rocket science.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

yes there is – seated or attack position

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Jesus, a wheelie involves pedalling and a manual doesn't. It's not rocket science.

Well according to "freeride legend" Chris Smith on that YouTube video someone posted above, there is a wheelie (pedalling), a coaster wheelie (sat down, not pedalling) and a manual (stood up, not pedalling) i.e. a coaster WHEELIE is not a MANUAL, so what you have said contradicts him. It isn't as black and white as all that, and all the more ridiculous as a result (grumble, grumble)

(PS I thought the same as you too Finbar, until I saw that vid)

finbar
    Free Member

Aha, fanks, i have learned something today after all.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Current MBUK – manuals?’ is closed to new replies.