Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Curran Valley, Stirling
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Im working up in Stirling tomorrow and im taking my bike with me. Thinking the curran valley for a blast. What is it like? Is it any good?

Cheers

partyboy
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Poop.

No.

Very constructive.

Yes, well worth it if you are in the area. The runway is really good fun. It’s about 6 miles right round, and easy to navigate, so pretty good for mixing it up a bit.

partyboy
    Free Member

richmtb

Its worth a go if you are in the area.

Its pretty short and not very technical, think Blue Route at Glentress.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Eh it’s carron valley and yeh it’s okay.

Beagleboy

The Carron Valley trails are actually closer to 6Km in length, not 6 miles and have really been dumbed down over the last year or two. Kelpie’s staircase is gone, and the runway has been flattened. It’s a good weatherproof option if you’re out for a 40 minute blast, but can be a tad ‘hamster on a wheel’ if you want anything a bit longer.

A more rewarding ride might be to stay in Stirling, head up to the University and then climb Dumyat, the chuffing great hill at the back of the Uni. You can’t miss it. 😉

It’s rideable all the way up, although not by me, 😳 and the descent back down is fab. This descent can also be extended right through to Bridge of Allan via Mine Woods.

Stirling Bike Club have a Thursday night ride leaving from the bus shelter, near the tennis courts in King’s Park, central Stirling at 7pm. I doubt I’ll be out tomorrow night as I’ll be getting all my stuff together for heading out to 10 under the Ben, but it might be worth checking out the MTB rides section of the club’s web page to see if anyone’s heading out. No-one bites, and you’d be made most welcome.

Beagy. 😀

888trojan888
    Free Member

Nice one Beagleboy will check out their site.

Did realise it was so tame

BikePawl
    Free Member

The trails are not to bad, I like the changes made recently apart from the rock garden Eas Dubh.
    There trail map and website has the trails as 10.5Km Carron Valley

thefallguy
    Free Member

From the car park there is basically one climb up and then a choice of routes that either take you part way down or all the way back to the car. It’s fairly easy to do a 15 mile ride by mixing the loops up. Tracks are well armoured with some nice Berms and small jumps, the runway has tabletops too and takes u back to the car park. We stopped off here on the way home from the highlands and it broke the journey really well and we enjoyed it, but if you’re looking for more than a couple of hours of play then I’d look elsewhere.

thefallguy
    Free Member

oops double post, bloomin iphone

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>The Carron Valley trails are actually closer to 6Km in length, not 6 miles<

No, they are in fact 6 miles (as is says on the tin ;-)and you can always take in Meikle Bin

Dumyats ok but if you want something a bit beefier: Silver Glen, Ben Ever, Ben Cleugh, Andrew Gannel, Gannel Burn / Mill Glen

DickBarton

Where you working?

CV is ok but if you are reasonably fit and capable then you probably won’t rate it after the first lap – it’s fine but if you are looking to ride something in the area and remember it, CV wouldn’t be my first option. It is good but compared to other stuff in the area, there is plenty better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

and the runway has been flattened

I’d say it’s been improved, not flattened. Before it was a set of ill-designed doubles and table tops, Now it’s attack at speed, with plenty of space for those that struggle with jumps/drops on narrow track.

One mans’ meat, as they say.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Curran Valley, Stirling’ is closed to new replies.