Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cure a rattling front mech? Deore mega 9.
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

Deore front mech (mega9), mechanically sound, cage rattles when not on the granny ring. I’ve just replaced it with a XT, but I’m not liking the XT*, I’d rather fix the rattling cage and put the Deore back on. It all seems to hinge on the hinge bolts – any advice appreciated. Ta.

* I don’t know if newer XT isn’t quite compatible with older shifters but after considerable readjustment it just ain’t quite as smooth as it should be and I can’t eliminate chain rattle in highest and lowest gears.

faustus

Go 1×9 to solve your woes.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’m afraid losing the shifter from the right end of the handlebar might cause me to lose balance and wobble to an unstylish death.

cdoc
    Free Member

2×9 xt here. Mine just started doing the same… I now have a passionate hatred of riding over cobbles 🙂
    Tbh, I think it has just worn out. The pivots seem to be a little slack, allowing some play, so I adjusted the top mech stop to be in firm contact when in the 36 ring. It helped a bit, but I think it’s pretty much dead.

andyl
    Free Member

New 10 speed XT will have the same cable pull but may be designed for different chainring sizes or number of chain rings so may not be ideal if you have a normal 22-32-44 9 speed set up.

You need to pick up a 9 speed 3 ring FD to ensure it works best.

wordnumb
    Free Member

The answer may be as simple as a minimal amount of grease in the pivots just to soak up the play – because it works really well, it’s just annoying – as you say – over cobbles.

@AndyL – it’s a 3×9 mech, not a 10. I checked.

cdoc
    Free Member

Tried that on mine to no avail..
    Next plan is to gently tap the pivot rivets with punch or something in an effort to close them up slightly.
    This is in no way a recommendation, though!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid hammers.

Obviously I could pick up the correct mech new for peanuts, but that would be admitting defeat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Its wear, nothing you can do.

neilwheel
    Free Member

If it’s the pivot pins then it’s done it’s do.

You could wear a walkman while riding…………

Spend hours rebuilding it…………

Or just buy a couple of new ones now before they are all gone……….

I have saved all the crumbs from my last two loaves of bread, I’m going to stick them all together and get an extra slice of toast now.

dirtydog
    Free Member

3×9 XT front mech will be absolutely fine with 9 speed Deore shifters, there are no compatability issues with them.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Good to know DD, thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cure a rattling front mech? Deore mega 9.’ is closed to new replies.