Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cupping
  • Harry_the_Spider

I can see how it draws out the poison, but I’m not sure it would make me swim any faster.

MSP

Is this a sexual deviancy I will regret looking up on the urban dictionary?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cupping

I’d allow it on a first date but only if you buy me a drink first. I’m not a slag.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I can see how it draws blood under the skin and causes bruising

Blue tape all over again. Load of codswallop

jam-bo

that depends…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Complete bullshit, but sport phycology is very important so if it helps get people in the right place mentally it can have a use.

jam-bo

i think you are right…

cupping
    To weigh, with one’s hands, someones testicles
    I was feeling bad, until Brian gave me some cupping. I felt better afterwards

xherbivorex
    Free Member

it only works if you seal the cups with a bit of snake oil. obviously.

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t Peaty (of the Steve variety) used to go through this? I’m sure there are pics.

jimbobo
    Free Member

theoretically It can have the same benefits as deep tissue massage for muscle fibre that would be damaged by deep tissue massage. There are also benefits in relation to the pain/ aching/ flu like symptoms you feel after deep tissue massage being minimised by cupping. also much easier to localise the effect. However, wether it works, dunno, hard to test I guess. It makes sense in theory, but whether anyone could actually feel the benefit?

Rubber_Buccaneer

When I feel you have spent long enough spooning I may let you progress to cupping

perchypanther
    Free Member

When I feel you have spent long enough spooning I may let you progress to cupping

….as a prelude to forking?

fasthaggis

No need for cupping,our local boil sucker can do just as good a job.

somafunk

I’ve had it done by Johanne Wilson at Hamden Sports Clinic (who’s just been on Radio Scotland – Kaye Adams programme explaining it) along with another controversial technique, Myofacial Release by Dawn Houston Physio at Ayr, it worked for myself with immediate results so thats good enough for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just use a beaker like everyone else.

globalti
    Free Member

Doctors (and quack practitioners) have known for centuries that 95% of cases will eventually get better on their own, so any “cure” that coincides with the patient feeling better is hailed as a new therapy. Even the French 18th century philosopher Voltaire said: “Medicine is about keeping the patient happy while Nature does her work.”

Plenty has been written about the power of placebo and I’ve even experienced this myself when I went through a bad patch and the nice doctor gave me some pills, which made me feel better and which I later discovered were no more than sugar.

convert

From Stoner’s link earlier – good lord! 😯

Do you think it might be any good for regrowing fingers 😉

globalti
    Free Member

My God! That bloke has been so aggressively “cupped” that he’s got black pudding under his skin.

Cougar

it worked for myself with immediate results

Doing what?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Myofacial Release

Are you missing an s or is this really a ‘facial’ thing?

enfht
    Free Member

Slippery slope imo. One minute you’re cupping and before long you’ve somehow moved onto rusty trombones.

mcj78
    Free Member

fasthaggis
    No need for cupping,our local boil sucker can do just as good a job.

Depends on how vaguely you pronounce “boil” 😉

That probably would cure all but the very worst bout of 48hr cat aids mind you.

somafunk

Myofascial release helped restore movement to my ankle, i wasted 7 years with visits to the spinal unit at Glasgow where they always came to same conclusion that the problem with an inability to raise my foot was due to my spinal injury/cord damage 25 odd years previous, one visit to a decent physiotherapist and i walked out without dragging the front of my foot along the ground.

The cupping was used along my spine where my 18″ scar is situated as i had experienced very high sensitivity to touch or the weight of a T-shirt rubbing against it – even someone blowing on it made me flinch , I had a cage built around my spine to support it and two vertebrae removed, and a fair few fused together when i had an accident years ago and i subsequently had a few other spinal operations over the next few years which opened up the same scar time and time again, i guess this led to nerve damage which cupping immediately helped with – I dunno how nor care why it worked but i’m so glad that the private physios i now see and attend on a regular basis thought outside the narrow guidelines of the NHS, that’s one of the reasons they both mention as to why they left very successful careers under the NHS as the level of care and treatments available for them to use were limiting their effectiveness at treating patients.

aracer
    Free Member

Well it clearly works

stewartc
    Free Member

Been using it alongside acupuncture to recover from a broken collarbone to, according to the Chinese doctor, improve blood circulation around the break area and it seems to be working well though I have left them on sometimes a little too long only to get painful blisters in the cup area.
    My Orthopedic consultant doesn’t seem to have any issue with me using them so they must have some medical value?

kimbers

aracer
    Free Member

Cougar
    D0NK

As with many forms of ancient treatments, modern practitioners use the same or similar techniques but simply alter the claims they make for it to sound more acceptable to modern ears.

from cougars link. Fair enough, you can’t go round saying “it sorts out yer chi” anymore, WTF is chi? But just wondering, aspirin/salicylate use goes back to egyptian times, wonder how the doctors of the times explained what it did and how it worked
    Did it originally cool your fire element? The later purify one of your humors? and now it blocks pain receptors?

Not defending cupping or any other evidence free “treatments”, just wondering.

Cougar

You know, that’s an interesting question.

I suppose there’s an element of statistics here. If you churn out a large number of quackery remedies, there’s a chance that you’ll happen across one that does actually work.

Back then they didn’t need to know how it worked (arguably they didn’t really even need to know that it did work at all even). It could have been from a tree blessed by Ra or something.

Cougar

Incidentally,

If cupping was actually proved to be efficacious, wouldn’t it be banned under anti-doping regulations?

kimbers

aspirin; active ingredient was isolated in 1763

http://rstl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/53/195?ijkey=ba8ce8846da9cc8367d29a3870c7b50be13868e9&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

as for the cupping…

that and it leaves a nice visible sign which is ideal for a bit of mind games and the like we seem be seeing a lot of in the olympic pool

Cougar

aspirin; active ingredient was isolated in 1763

It was used in various forms a very long time before it was isolated though.

kimbers

im more interested to know who first started sucking on a cows udders !!

but Hippocrates reccomends it for easing childbirth pain

Cougar

im more interested to know who first started sucking on a cows udders !!

Calves. HTH.

(-:

ninfan
    Free Member

Needs more holograms

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cupping’ is closed to new replies.