Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 330 total)
  • Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?
  • compkiler
    Free Member

Anyone got, or know anything about the Cube Reaction 29 GTC SL?

Was thinking about forking out some hard earned cash for a racing mountain bike for some races this year and havent really found anything on it as of yet!

Ta lads

druidh
    Free Member

As easy to get as Rocking Horse poo.

Taff
    Free Member

Seriously looked at this bike (SL) as it looks very good value for money for a British bought bike. Ridden other Cube hardtails and I like them. Only other bike to consider is the Canyon 29ers which are even better value for money but you don’t get to try it for size

gordon
    Free Member

I got myself a Cube Reaction GTC Pro a few weeks back. It was a toss up between the Pro and the SL, went for the Carbon in the end and im really happy with it. I went from a Meta 5.5 to this for the same reason as yourself, wanted a lighter faster bike and it is just that. Its a really good climber and quick on the downs too. Its my first 29er so can’t really compare it to anything else but its fantastic value. You can get them pretty cheaply from Germany compared to Chain Reaction etc but I got mine from the Bike Chain in Edinburgh and cant recommend them enough. If you are near Edinburgh, give me a shout if you want a look. It’s a big ‘un at 23″ though!

compkiler
    Free Member

Hehe nice, i was thinking about getting a 17” one as im only 5ft 7 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have a Pro ordered should get it next week.

Wanted the SL but there are just none about.

Im changing the chainset for a 2×10 xt along with the shifters so its pretty much the same spec as the SL.

Great spec, hoping it live up to expectations.

stanleigh
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to demo a Cube 29″ Pro .

Well , what a bike , it’s all you imagined a well speced carbon 29er would be . Light , agile & frighteningly quick ! Just rolls & rolls , covering the miles effortlessly .

Ready to race , straight out of the box – tubeless is the only change I’ve made. Tyre combo ( Schwalbe Rocket / Ralph )is spot on for general XC & racing.

Can’t fault the XT kit , loving the extra ratios possible with the 10 sp cassatte. Never used formula brakes before , they’re fine.

Size wise ( I’m 6 foot ) I would have normally have ordered a large frame , but my demo was a 19″ & spot on !

And let’s be honest a decent carbon 29er , speced like this by Scott / Trek would be £2000+ , so great value !

So , roll on my next Gorrick ! & best of luck to anybody trying get hold of one of these!

jwmlee
    Free Member

I had a Reaction GTC Pro 26er. Imported from German company. Much cheaper than local and get this…. much better support when things went wrong.

Replaced a cracked frame no questions asked. Also paid for re-installation costs. Sold me a crash replacement ti frame for £600 once I snapped that one. Superb.

One word of caution. Carefully check the spec of the wheels which is where Cube (and others) tend to save money. Had lots of hassles with SunRigle hubs. Again MHW sent me a new hub.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The hubs are XT and the Rims are the usual propriety Alex with DT spokes.

Its probably one area where i would always upgrade anyway.

Crank Bros Cobalt 29 look nice :o)

I have one for the 17″ which should be ok for me.

On holiday for 2 weeks after next week so wanting it to turn up asap.

compkiler
    Free Member

Its a good start though for a racing mountain bike 🙂 If i want to upgrade the wheels at a later daye then ye i agree, thats the first call. Dout ill upgrade anything else tho tbh as its all pretty good!

straightlinemike
    Free Member

And before I read the thread I checked what Stan Leigh on Facebook bought… Only to see he’s replied already. Fancy a 29er face off Stan? I want another Swinley, porridge pot, tunnel hill loop, second Sunday in April looks clear?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Compkiller, im 5’7″ too and tried one of the LTD Pro 29 in the shop 17″ frame and it fitted perfectly.

Even the LTD is a great value bike, i just wanted to go the extr mile.

It took a fair bit of phoneing to track down a bike, and its not due to be delivered till next month.

I took the opportunity to change to the 2×10 set up which take the spec of the pro pretty close to the SL.

compkiler
    Free Member

Very nice 🙂 Well i have the cash, and i know where i can get the SL so do i or dont i… thats the question… not many reviews on it etc

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I dont see next years bike being quite as good a price considering the way there sold out this year.

Good for you finding a 17″ SL i tried 8 places and none could get hold of one. Only one of them offered me the Pro, new chainset and shifters and its as good as the SL anyway.

Go for it i say.

cheers_drive

I looked at the Cube as my LBS sells them but they only had a medium in and not for demo and couldn’t get demo bikes in either. Went for the Canyon instead which is very nice.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I looked everywhere for the reaction gtc 29er, couldnt get one 🙁

My lbs have a pro coming in stock in JUNE.

I went for the reaction gtc SL 26er instead for the time being.

compkiler
    Free Member

Whats the GTC SL 26er like then bud? Liking it?

I take it your gona trade the 26er u just bought in for the 29er Pro in June then?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The shop im buying from said they were going to geet one last 29er in stock in April, hence why i snapped it up, still not heard anything back mind. Hens teeth spring to mind.

I dont know if its cube who have simply not made enough or if they have just not given enough bikes to the UK.

Anyone who can get their hands on either Reaction 29er should go for it.

My lBS is a cube dealer and he said there was no way he could get either bike now, the only way was if you had pre ordered the specific bike months ago.

It wont be long till the 2013 range appears now, probably will be able to order a 2013 bike in August/Sept.

ojom
    Free Member

As above.

if you can find one. Buy it.

All 29 stock from Cube has gone.

We have been informed that our pre-ordered bikes will arrive in June (approx) and that no more will come or be able to be ordered.

druidh
    Free Member

TBC – any chance they will bring the 2013 bikes in early (like some of the road bikes)?

ojom
    Free Member

Not been informed of that yet.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

thebikechain

Is that all preordered bike due June or just the ones for you? The shop i bought from said April for mine.

I take it you have pre sold the ones you have ordered?

So far i have only seen 1 29er in a bike shop, do you think Cube have been caught out with the demand?

jwmlee
    Free Member

By the way, if you are considering importing from MHW Bike House – email them and barter.

I saved over £300 of the UK price by doing this. Figured if anything went wrong I would have some room to move with local repairs. Turned out their support was great anyway.

Loved my GTC Pro and love my Elite HPT Pro (titanium) frame even more. Brilliant bikes.

plodtv
    Free Member

Ordered mine from Germany in jan when all uk suppliers told me there were no more to be pre-ordered. Have had the date pushed back a fortnight, every fortnight since jan end. I am hopeful for this year sometime I personally feel it shits all over the canyon spec having considered that first.

compkiler
    Free Member

Jwmlee, did you have to pay shipping etc?

yetialex
    Free Member

Managed to get a 2012 Ltd SL 29 from Tweeks, it was on back order by them to be a stock item, they had ordered one 17″ and one 19″, put a deposit on the 19″ in early November and got it mid Dec, they were unable to get any more. Enjoy riding it more than any other bike I’ve ever owned.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Free to the uk. Very tempted myself now! Wonder about size. I am 6″ and have a 20″ frame in my 26er. Wonder if the 21″ frame would give more options in terms of stem/fit…

druidh
    Free Member

Big Cubes tend to come up VERY big.

yetialex
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 btw, 19″ is spot on for me, although not much room for moving the seat back on the rails any further. The stem is fairly short at 75mm though, think the 21″ LTD SL may have a longer one.

martinxyz
    Free Member

squarewheels show quite a few Cube 29er’s on the site. Sizes can be found of each model if you scroll down the page and click on frame size option. If it’s in stock it’ll show what’s actually in stock.. not a ‘we can get it for you’ option.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

yetialex, how are the comfort levels on the bike with the big wheels and carbon frame?

JPothecary
    Free Member

A couple of posts here have said they have changed to 2 x 10 setup to be the same as an SL. All the SL’s I see for sale come as 3 x 10??

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Yes the SL is the 3×10

My comment related to the XT spec chainset not the 2×10.

I just feel that the 2×10 is a much better set up. Gone for the 26/38 chainset.

velomanic
    Free Member

“Anyone who can get their hands on either Reaction 29er should go for it.”

“if you can find one. Buy it.”

Good advice – I’m picking up my Reaction GTC SL from my LBS tomorrow 😀

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Right thats not fair, i bought mine over a month ago, i want it now!!!

Hope you enjoy it, keep us up to date.

compkiler
    Free Member

Cube Reaction 29r GTC SL ordered and coming my way very soon 🙂

jwmlee
    Free Member

@compkiler – let us know what you think of it when it arrives!

Did you order it from MHW Bike House / another German company?

VERY, VERY tempted myself. Mate of mine says the Pro is a better option as Rebas have less flex and XT wheels are very solid for the money. What do you think?

velomanic
    Free Member

Collected from my LBS today 🙂

Just back from a 10 mile hack along part of the Isle of Man End2End course – absolutely love it!

First impressions are of how light and agile it feels.

Firm ride from the carbon frame but not harsh, the seat’s quite hard but I wasn’t in it much!

I’m just over 5’11” and the 19″ frame is a perfect fit.

@stevewhyte – you won’t be disappointed!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I cant wait, im going to phone the shop tomorrow as they said it would be in by the end of the month, thats now isnt it!!! 😆

I’m champing at the bit, was out today on my Whyte and love it, but this should be up a level or two.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.