Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cruisers with Disc brakes ? Do such bikes exist ?.
  • Solo
    Free Member

As per the title really.

There appears to be a deep and rich seam of bike knowledge on STW, so.

Cruisers. Lovely retro look frames, but can they be had with disc brakes ?.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

This thread might be of interest to you. They’re suggesting a mod-mount and a change of fork.

Edit – found this one, unfortunately its a custom build. Nice though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why do you need powerful discs on a bike designed to be ridden slowly?

Cruisers are more about the look than the speed, and as such drum brakes are popular as they have a clean, retro look.

Also, the relaxed head angles and long forks of cruisers will mean you’re more likely to lock the front wheel up (less weight over the wheel) so you won’t be able to use all the power anyway… 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

PP.

To my mind, the alternative is rim brakes and I hate rim brakes, which are worse than useless in the rain.
    I believe that some cruisers use to come fitted with the pedal-back brake, but I’m not interested in any of that either.
    Furthermore, not all disc brakes are created the same and soem that might be considered to be at the weaker end of the performance spectrum for gnarly MTB madnes, may suit slightly less frenetic applications.
    I was just wondering like.

🙂

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I think the discs is a cool look for a cruiser too, particularly with some awesome flame discs.

Personally I’d go hub brake. Maintenance free, nice and modulated but oodles of power and weight is not an issue.

wwaswas

mine has hub brakes, they’re fine – the hubs look cool too.. For a £250 bike reduced at Evans I’m very pleased with it.

Solo
    Free Member

wwaswas.

That bike has “relax” written all over it.

I bet you enjoy using it.

Excellent.

😉

flamejob
    Free Member

205s Baby!

Flameboy by flamejob, on Flickr

Solo
    Free Member

Flamejob.

That bike is very nice. Is it a custom build or an off the shelf bike ?.

🙂

finbar
    Free Member

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want a back-pedal brake on a cruiser. 40ft skids – what’s not to love?

epicyclo

Haven’t posted this one for a while

qwerty
    Free Member

KONA Humu Deluxe if you can find one

qwerty
    Free Member

if you need discs your riding too fast!!!

😆

singlespeedstu

How about cruiserish looks but still being more than capable offroad.

2011_0314boatsanddaffs0026 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

100_1060 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

100_1059 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Black Sheep bikes do cruiser styling and would hand make you one. There are others I believe.

edit: Ah well, too slow

SidKillerest
    Free Member

I’d love a rear disc on my cruiser, but it would be worth more than the rest of the bike.

From experience I can say don’t try riding off road with a single backpedal brake. Bad things will happen.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My better half would love a little, light, cruiser frame to go with my alfine/disc wheels but I can’t seem to find anything suitable. I reckon they’d be quite popular.

Brant to the Forum?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

mine has hub brakes, they’re fine – the hubs look cool too.. For a £250 bike reduced at Evans I’m very pleased with it.

That’s the exact bike I was thinking of! I saw then at half price in Evans and I WANTED ONE NOW!!! But I’m savi g up for something else and I’d hardly ever use it, so sense prevailed. I still like them though. There’s simply nothing to change or that will ever wear out on that bike. 😀

flamejob
    Free Member

Flamejob.

That bike is very nice. Is it a custom build or an off the shelf bike ?.
    Ta, I drawd it and some chinamen glued the Titanium together.

I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want a back-pedal brake on a cruiser. 40ft skids – what’s not to love?

I’m not going to tell you how much those Conti whitewalls cost. It’s embarrassing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oliver, just get her a pompetamine frame and stick those wheels on, if she doesn’t like it you can always sell it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’ve been through that on the pompino/pompetaminte thread. I think the standover would be a bit too high still. I do have half an eye on ebay/the classifieds for one though.

trailflow
    Free Member

@ epicyclo , i think you’re handlebars have melted

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Trek Sawyer, 29er retro stylee.

Trek Sawyer

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Very tempted with a Sawyer, with a belt-drive Alfine, but have you seen the weight?
    10lbs for frame and forks!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Does this class a cruiser? It only gets used for spinning about town these days (so will be sold in the near future)

Singular_brown by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Yeah, the Sawyer is a bit weighty, but I tried a Surley KM and a Sawyer, and I got the sawyer, just kinda liked the way it rode. Gotta love that frame though

rootes1

found these off of Google:

Custom

Civia Loring

5lab

does the weight really matter on a bike like this?

Reign_Man
    Free Member

no, not at all. Its all about the cool 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate rim brakes, which are worse than useless in the rain

Nah, good pair of Vs work fine.

However I do think discs or hubs are the way to go for looks and cool. That blue one of rootes1 is beautiful tho. I think I am going to share this with Mrs Grips 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

does the weight really matter on a bike like this?

Only when you’re putting it in and out of the car to take it somewhere flat and trendy to actually be able to ride it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cruisers with Disc brakes ? Do such bikes exist ?.’ is closed to new replies.