Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Crud Road Racer mk2 …. How do you stop them rubbing
  • renton
    Free Member

At the end of my tether with a set of road racer 2 that I have fitted to my Secteur.

No matter what I do I can’t stop them rubbing in one place or another for more than a few days.

It’s mainly the front one for some reason it rubs on either side of the tyre.

Any tips on stopping it before I set fire to them.

scotroutes

The most common mistake is that folk do the zip-tie to the brake bolt far too tight. That causes the mudguard to twist and rub. The ziptie should be loose and any rubbing at all should only be the wee felt pads on the rims.

simondbarnes

What size tyres are you running?

cookci
    Free Member

Replace them with raceblade longs which require less clearance.

I spent hours fettling with my cruds and eventually got them to a point they were bearable then dirt built up between them and the tyres and started rubbing again. I removed and cleaned, refitted and then a twig went up the rear of the tyre and smashes the rear crud into a 100 pieces

renton
    Free Member

The zip ties are loose and they move quite freely.

Tyres are 25c I think

I think part of the problem is that the fork is tapered towards the bottom so the rubber bands slip.

Frankers
    Free Member

I cut the front part off so it stops short of going under The fork. Still works really well

MrPottatoHead

I stopped mine rubbing by taking them off and binning them. Nice idea but just not for me.

simondbarnes

Tyres are 25c I think

They’ll probably always rub then.

stevious

I’m with Mr Potatohead on this one. Coudln’t get them to work on a number of bikes. Don’t have the patience/time for them.

SammyC
    Free Member

Yep, best way to stop them rubbing is to not fit them and put some Race blade longs on. Loads more room and arguably easier/quicker to fit. Especially once you take into account the hours you waste trying to stop them rubbing!

tlr

PDW Full Metal Fender. Better than race blades I reckon, certainly fewer rattles and last longer.

muenchen1
    Free Member

I’ve got them on a Sectuer and agree the front trickier than rear. The manufacturer s website had a load if tips which I got there with. On my forks I did stick on some helicopter tape patches where the brackets sit to avoid them grinding grit into the paint and I think they also off a bit of grip to hold the bracket in position (well at least more than paint dies). Good luck.

theotherjonv

another one for throwing them away and replacing. But….. I replaced with RR3’s and they are excellent in comparison, much sturdier. Full fittings will always be more stable but I wanted a pair that could go off and on in seconds.

They are good people at Mr Crud, might be worth giving a call and seeing if they’ll give you a discount as a RR2 user.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I threw them away and got a bike with proper clearances.

Most road bikes are dry weather race bikes, god knows why we lap them up.

UK bikes need mudguards….

cookeaa

I have just taken my RR2 off after their third winter stint (possibly a bit early?).

I have gotten on very well with them (also on 25c tyres), but I am not so concerned by the odd scuff or wobble over potholes, that said the new RR3 do look like a further improvement. I Might get some for next winter just to see if they’ve sorted some of the RR2 issues…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Crud Road Racer mk2 …. How do you stop them rubbing’ is closed to new replies.