Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Croydon skills area?
  • freddyblack
    Free Member

https://www.moredirt.com/trail/United-Kingdom_South-East–London/German-Woods/687/

Does this exist anymore? Cant find ‘German Woods’ anywhere.

Or any other area to practice jumps etc in South London?

I know about the places farther out.

dknwhy

There are a couple of small jumps in Lloyd Park near the cafe but I don’t know of anywhere called “German Woods”.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

Never really explored but Shirley Hills maybe?

I’ve never heard of German Woods either. That page says it’s near Purley Way, can’t for the life of me think where.

dknwhy

Right, i’m going to resurrect this thread because now that i’ve been Jedi’d i’m a flipping master of all things rad 😆

Where can I go to practice locally to Croydon?

aether531
    Free Member

There used to be some jumps in Kenley/Coulsdon – I believe they were known as the Dead Fox trails – in the woods near Kenley Aerodrome. Also meant to be something over by Beddington Park – never been to them so I can’t confirm. I suppose either of them could possibly be the ‘German Woods’? You could also just try going to the new Merton BMX track. Looks nice.

I’ve been thinking about building something in the Sanderstead/Warlingham area because I want to learn to dirt jump without being mocked by teenagers…

dknwhy

All i’ve seen is a few rough looking jumps in Lloyd Park but they’re not that great looking.
    I used to live in Beddington but haven’t seen any in the park – i’ll have to explore more and will let you know if I spot anything.

That BMX track at Merton looks ace. Will I be mocked if I turn up on my full suss??!! 😆

rewski
    Free Member

There’s some cheeky stuff around Marden Park/Church Woods in Woldingham, bombholes and steps more than jumps though. Surrey Hills is you best bet.

aether531
    Free Member

Yeah you probably would! I wouldn’t fancy riding a pricey bike around that area either. They do hire BMX’s for £1 though I believe…

If you’re feeling really brave you could have a crack at the Epsom trails,they’re pretty serious by all accounts.

gringo

There are some old jumps in the woods at the back of the playing fields/old airfield on Purley Way. Nothing worth bothering with though to be honest.

dknwhy

Has Gringo found the mythical German woods?!

aether531
    Free Member

Sounds like it. Battle of Britain memorial nearby and just off of the Purley Way.

luke0912
    Free Member

There are a couple of small jumps in beddington park pretty over grown and worn out though, they are right by the main roads in the wooded bit.

Im in caterham so would be intrested in anything anyone knows localy

samunkim
    Free Member

Re: Nothing worth bothering with though to be honest

Old jumps need love too

Here

sobriety
    Free Member

There used to be some epic bmx jumps over at Nonsuch park, not sure if they’re still there though, it’s been years since I last looked.

aether531
    Free Member

Samunkim – I’m up for a bit of trail maintenance. Anyone else? Seems like enough Croydon people here that are interested.

aether531
    Free Member

I went for a scout around the proposed ‘German Woods’ site – I couldn’t find anything. Maybe a couple of very small (under a foot) jumps made by kids in the past but you’d honestly be better off building something yourself somewhere else.

I’m going to scope out some woods in Warlingham/Sanderstead and might have a go at building something myself!

freddyblack
    Free Member

I saw some videos on youtube from Beaulieu Heights from probably 12 years ago.

Went there to check it out, dodgiest park ever.

Would be a great location for some short downhill trails but between gay crusing, drunks and local crazies, not keen on heading there again.

Perhaps someone could suggest to the council a proper downhill setup like Rogate/Aston Hill would bring this park back into civilization.

freddyblack
    Free Member

Scrap that idea, according to wikipedia:

In 2009 a conservation group called The Friends of Beaulieu Heights has been formed to improve accessibility and biodiversity of the woodland.

Still a bit dodgy for me though.

aether531
    Free Member

In the days before political correctness that place was known as ‘Bummer’s Woods’!

freddyblack
    Free Member

Just back from Aston Hill had so much fun, I keep thinking about Beaulieu Heights as a downhill bike park.

Decided I am going to email council, might have 1 chance in 1000.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

used to be jumps in tiny bit of woods at top of beddington park running along side of main rd to croydon used to see kids jumping through trees. dont know how big but tiny area. back in the day foxes woods on shirley church road used to be bmx area this was before mtb arrived though. poss stuff in shirley hills ? and maybe woods by croham golf course i think it as ? l live by kenley never seen jumps in woods on old lodge lane side? good fo xc night rides though out onto farthing etc

scaled
    Free Member

The clay up in littleheath woods is good for building but too many dog walkers and conservation types up that way

aether531
    Free Member

used to be jumps in tiny bit of woods at top of beddington park running along side of main rd to croydon used to see kids jumping through trees. dont know how big but tiny area. back in the day foxes woods on shirley church road used to be bmx area this was before mtb arrived though. poss stuff in shirley hills ? and maybe woods by croham golf course i think it as ? l live by kenley never seen jumps in woods on old lodge lane side? good fo xc night rides though out onto farthing etc

I grew up in Shirley and used to go bmxing in Foxes Woods in the 80’s! I stumbled across a few jumps and berms in the woods just off of Hawkhirst Road, nothing special but quite fun nonetheless.

zippykona

There’s some mental jumps in Cheam. They’re fenced off so I don’t know who gets to ride them.

freddyblack
    Free Member

Reply from the council:

“Thank you for your e-mail regarding Beaulieu Heights and the idea of developing a downhill bike park at the site. Unfortunately because much of the site is ancient woodland and we maintain the site to protect the ground flora as well as the trees, a bike track would not be possible.”

There was more in the reply about building a new BMX track in Norbury.

Well I tried. Ground flora indeed.

aether531
    Free Member

Good try Freddy!

I’m still trying to find an area to either repair/build/ride too. I’ll post it up here if I make any progress.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Croydon skills area?’ is closed to new replies.