Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crown race base plate woes
  • trap6
    Free Member

Ill try and explain this as simplistic as I can.

Purchased Lynskey pro no#5 forks,bought recommended headset,Cane creek Integrated IS42/52 40 short top,had probs with crown race base plate installation,measured crown race plate and its not the measurement it states,all be it’s only .3 mm,is this normal?
    I’ve managed too get it down too 5/6mm above fork crown,then it’s stuck,I managed too pull off but it’s left slight scoring on on carbon steerer I’m backing out going any further as im not sure if it’ll cause damage,I was suggested on using another race,is this ok?what race should I use?bike Lynskey r240
    Was also told too cut base plate,if so what with dremmel?(don’t have),hacksaw?
    Help greatly appreciated.

scotroutes

You could try heating it up (in a pan of boiling water). That would make life slightly easier.

Or cut it with a thin hacksaw (it’s not really a crown race, just a baseplate).

wwaswas

Cutting the crown race with a hacksaw should be fine, although they do need a bit of a bash to get on to steerers if you use an uncut one, normally.

Careful switching races – they don’t all meet bearings at the same angle.

trap6
    Free Member

Cheers scotroutes,terminology not one of my attributes.
    I’ve tried the heating of plate,no joy.

trap6
    Free Member

So by cutting base plate would that still be fine for bearing race too seat correctly?www

wwaswas

yes, as scotroute says for a selaed cartridge bearing all the ‘crown race’ on the fork does is provide a surface for the actual crown race in the bearing to rest on.

you could use some bearign fit on the fork where the cut base plate sits to hold it if you were worried.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

in fairness, most descriptions still refer to it as a crown race, even though its not been the case for a decade or more.

trap6
    Free Member

Scotroutes,going too try again with the heating method,I just sat it in freshly boiled water beforehand not actual boiling in the pan,it may of not been in long enough or lost heat quickly through the mug,failing that the hacksaw method will be used.

Cheers guys.

scotroutes

I’d remove any existing marks on the steerer before re-trying. Also use a little lubrication, and keep it straight.

legend
    Free Member

Worth baring in mind that it’s going to be a massive ball-ache when it comes to taking it back off again one day. I’d just go straight for the hacksaw for the reasons above plus remembering that it’ll tighten onto the steerer anyway as the headset is preloaded (the angle of the interface will give it a squeeze).

They are so unimportant these days that Giant don’t even bother with them on some bikes!

trap6
    Free Member

Hacksawed,job done.
    Cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crown race base plate woes’ is closed to new replies.